Help

Future Teachers

Unsure, NERVOUS, and ANXIOUS about Student Teaching

>

sigmagirl12

Unsure, NERVOUS, and ANXIOUS about Student Teaching
Old 08-12-2009, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In two weeks I will be Student teaching in a 3rd grade. I am so nervous but on top of that
I have heard horror stories about my mentor teacher and how her and the other teachers gained up on the last student teacher to make her look bad in front of the advisor. Which is not helping at all. I was not going to continue with my student teaching experience but I thought I should judge for myself. I have made several attempts to try to contact but I have gotten no response. I feel like it is going to be a bad situation but I am a bit of a drama queen. I just want to have the best experience possible!! Any advice or suggestions?!?!

sigmagirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote

megs94

Old 08-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Try to put what other people have said about her on the back burner. You guys might click when you meet and you could have a wonderful experience. If you go in with a negative image/attitude about the teacher, you are setting yourself up for failure. If she does turn out to be a witch, at least you'll learn what NOT to do, lol.

Who knows, maybe the person you heard about her from was a really bad student teacher and exaggerated some of the stories. If you have a hard time with her, make sure to go to your student teaching supervisor... my school always tells us "for every problem, there is a solution."

Try to keep a positive attitude and think about other reasons she might not have contacted you yet- she might be on vacation, doesn't have email at home, etc.

If I came across as witchy, I didn't mean it at all! I'm just trying to help you think of other ways to think about your ST At least there will be adorable 3rd graders, and you will have the opportunity to make a big impact in their lives!!!
megs94 is offline   Reply With Quote

sigmagirl12

Old 08-13-2009, 02:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Aww thanks so much Megs!! Now that you put it like that it does make perfect sense!! I am going to go in there with a positive attitude because that will set the tone!! I will keep you posted and thank you so much for replying!!

learnalways

GOod Luck
Old 08-14-2009, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You will LOVE 3rd grade! Be willing to do anything, and dont wait to be asked to help, just do it if you see it needs done. If she is cutting things out, just say I know I can help with that. She will love a positive, ready to work student teacher. Bring in a bagel or two for you to share.

Don't listen to others opinions. I had the same thing - people telling me how awful my CT would be, I love him, and he is my friend now!!!
learnalways is offline   Reply With Quote

want2tch

be afraid if you get the wrong feeling
Old 08-15-2009, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

i myself had a bad experience as a ST last year and decided to drop out and now repeating it this semester, at my expense. If you feel that your teacher is not fulfilling their duty as a CT, SAY SOMETHING!!! Do not let your work fall behind you, keep a detailed journal, and stay on top of your game. If you and your CT are not communicating or they're not helping you, speak up. Believe me, not all CT's are perfect and I can tell you, if i would have spoken up in time, their integrity (maybe job) would have been in jeopardy. It's your CT's word against yours in the end, so take my advice and keep a record of EVERYTHING!!! CTs are hand picked and in some cases, even paid to have a ST. They should want you to succeed, but they have to help you, after all, this is a learning experience, you are there to learn to teach, your rights as a student should not be forgotten. Good luck!

want2tch is offline   Reply With Quote

runner84

Old 08-18-2009, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I student taught in 3rd grade...and had heard stories about my coop teacher! I decided to put that all aside and see for myself....let me tell you, she was tough on me in the beginning...and thank god she was!! She became my everything towards the end. The people who judged her were the ones that could not handle constructive criticism...and when you're student teaching, I think you need to be able to! As long as she doesn't degrade you, YOU CAN DO IT! This needs to be a great experience for you and if you do not feel comfortable, talk to your supervisor. THIS EXPERIENCE IS ABOUT YOU!!

Have fun with it..it goes really fast!

Good Luck and Best Wishes!
runner84 is offline   Reply With Quote

sigmagirl12

Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!! Your encouragement is so greatly appreciated!! I found out at orientation today that I will not be placed with that teacher. I guess now I feel it is bitter sweet because at least I knew where I was going. Now with school a week away I have no placement DOUBLE YIKES!! It will all work out though!!

runner84

Old 08-19-2009, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

No worries....it will. Everything happens for a reason
runner84 is offline   Reply With Quote

JJ60614

let go with no reason, no rights
Old 05-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I find your message to be very uplifting, however, I find myself having done all of those ideas you suggested, and still in a place of questioning. It is my CT's word against mine, but no one (at my university) will take my word. I naturally take notes on everything, so I have tons of proof that I am a good teacher. Your final quote, 'your rights as a student should not be forgotten', is very bitter sweet. I completely agree but although I am fighting for my rights, no one is helping! I don't know where to turn.....
JJ60614 is offline   Reply With Quote