Help

Social Studies

Communities

>

sigmagirl12

Communities
Old 10-05-2009, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am doing a SS unit on "OUR COMMUNITY". The students will crete a book that list city facts and pictures. Day 1 and 2 I will introduce communities and local resources, Day 3 I will introduce landforms of the community, Day 4 climate, and Day 5 population and jobs people have.

Does anyone have any suggestions of some hands on activities I can do with students that will make it more interesting?? Any suggestions at all to make unit better?? Thanks in Advance!!

sigmagirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

We discuss community traditions
Old 10-05-2009, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I made a list of the top ten (in my opinion) with very brief descriptions. We read the handout and discuss them. Then students choose one to create an advertising poster for. They do a little online research and then create their poster to present in class.

Mine include an annual foot race, bike ride, kite festival, Christmas parade, Christmas light trail, rodeo, music festival, fireworks, and pun-off.

We also discuss family traditions as well. I give them the chance to write a persuasive essay to convince their family to start a new family tradition of their choice. How about an annual family camping trip every Memorial Day? Or what about a family picnic each Labor Day that includes a food fight? They come up with some fun ideas to share with their families.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

3ateach

Old 11-02-2009, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When you have finished your study, you could have the students create their own community. I have them glue 2 file folders together so you have a total of 6 sides.

On the 1st side I have them draw their community, name it, and tell the type of community it it (urban, suburban, rural).

On the 2nd side they create and illlustrate 5 laws they have to follow to keep the citizens safe and happy.

On the 3rd side they draw and explain a typical home in that community.

On the 4th side they think of 4 different types of buisnesses that community has. They draw and explain them.

On the 5th side they write and illustrate 5 jobs people in that community have.

On the last side, they write a paragragraph trying ot persuade people to come and live in thier community and draw a different view from the front cover.
3ateach is offline   Reply With Quote