Help

Magnolia Room

Choice or Academic Choice Time

>

2chickens

Choice or Academic Choice Time
Old 03-13-2010, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach second grade. Although I was trained in RC at both middle and elementary levels, we never got around to talking about Choice time. What is it? When do you do it? What activities do you offer?

Thanks,

Lisa

happygirl444

Old 03-13-2010, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you ever heard of the Daily 5? Responsive Classroom has the book on their website and it is all about children choosing between five literacy activities (independent reading, partner reading, writing, listening to reading, word work) while you do conferencing and small group work.

I'm not sure if this is the pure RC "choice time" as I have not taken RCII but I know they, as a foundation, believe in it and I know it works very well for my kids!

AGal

Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Academic choice is when you as a teacher give the students choices about what to learn, how to demonstrate their knowledge. For instance, you want them to demonstrate their knowledge of the water cycle. You could make a list with them of different ways they could do this (a rap song, a model, a poster, ect.). The students choose what they want to do. It allows the students to have more ownership in their learning.
Hope this helps!

AddieJ

RC book
Old 03-17-2010, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Responsive Classroom has a great book out called Learning Through Academic Choice.
Here's the introduction:
http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/p...c/ac_intro.pdf

(here's the link to the book: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/b...gacademic.html)

Mrs.EastCoast

the tough thing ...
Old 03-20-2010, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

RC doesn't always correspond well to a school's expected curriculum and academic schedule. There is no academic choice, daily 5 at my school - we are a reading and writing workshop school and so during conferencing, the children are independently reading and writing, working on skills that we've practiced during focus lessons.

That being said, I do give my students academic choice. I don't know much about it ... we didn't go over that in RCI too much (and I am planning to do RCII this Summer, where it is on the schedule) ... when we have finished w/ a unit of study, I will often ask children how they want to represent their understanding of what they have learned.