Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Classroom Consequences

>

ducky75

Classroom Consequences
Old 08-12-2010, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, so what do you use as consequences?

ducky75 is offline   Reply With Quote

ViolaSwamp

laps
Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have recess at the end of the day so I make my kids walk laps when they get in trouble. 1 strike = warning, 2 strikes = 10 min of laps, 3 strikes = 20 min of laps, 4 strikes = laps all recess & note/call home. I've also used assigned seats at lunch/silent lunch.
ViolaSwamp is offline   Reply With Quote

ducky75

I would normally
Old 08-12-2010, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

But I've been told that that is equvalent to corporal punishment! I'm trying to be non-violent this year! but thanks
ducky75 is offline   Reply With Quote

dbmwhaley

Old 08-13-2010, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our school has a policy that we follow. We have a notebook that has each student a page and they "sign the book" when they don't follow the rules. Example ~ talking, no homework, no supplies. When the students sign the book 3 times in a six weeks, we write up a discipline referral. Depending on the number of referrals the student has received is the consequences.

Examples of the first few referrals ~ sparkle duty (cleaning lunch room or campus); morning/lunch/after school detention

Examples after the mild referrals ~ Saturday school or ISS

Students may receive a discipline referral for major problems without signing the book.

We have teacher/asst principal that handles all our discipline referrals and he is very consistant and keeps up with every student and their referrals.

Good Luck!
dbmwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote

aksuz

Be creative
Old 08-13-2010, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sometimes the consequences should fit the crime.

A little on the cruel side but it worked
I once a had a kid that made animals noises during class mostly duck. That inspired another student to do the same. So during a recess (15 minutes) I asked both of them to stay in and make the noise. I asked them to make the noise the whole recess---if they didn't they got to have a repeat preformance the next day. The added bonus was I had them do it into whisper phones. They giggled at first but after 10 minutes of quacking in their own ear the fun kind of wore off. Then to continue on for another 5 minutes it became torture to make then noise. It ended that day.

I took a risk----but I called their parents first
Another time I had two kids that picked and name called each other---they were equal partners in the crime. I insisted they be partners for EVERYTHING. They had to sit together, work together and eat lunch together for two weeks. If the name calling stopped in two weeks then their partnership would end, if it didn't they got to be together for another month. The name calling ended and they ended up friends afterwards.

Normally I have kids record their behaviors on a log in the room and then transfer that info to a speadsheet. Its an eye opener for some kids to see how many times they disrupt. Of course if they sign the log 3 times in a day they are out of the room. I also have class meeting and let kids vent.

aksuz is offline   Reply With Quote

pxydst07

I love it aksuz!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm learning that I will have to be more creative! We don't have any school-wide discipline plan. We don't have detention or recess...so not much can be done there! I'm implementing a discipline notebook in my classroom to keep track of offenses and to have documentation for RtI and parent conferences. I'm still working on my plan as to what will happen each time they write in the notebook.
pxydst07 is offline   Reply With Quote
MrsDriver

MrsDriver

It depends...
Old 08-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

on the crime, the person, and the number of offenses.

It usually goes in this order:
1. warning (they get a choice, do what I say or get in further trouble)
2. fill out behavior reflection sheet, note in agenda book
3. call parents, detention
4. referral form

Some problems go straight to #3 or 4 depending on what they are.

Giraffiesauru

MrsDriver
Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I kind of think the same as you. Love and Logic. It really depends on what they do. I have a color change chart - but often I use that reflection sheet.

What I've learned is that if you have a kid in at recess because of behavior, once they cool off, they are usually pretty introspective about their behavior. THAT's when they get the reflection sheet. Lots of times we just talk through what their choices were and how it affects others, then what they will do differently next time.

It does take recess time. But I think in the last 2 years, I've probably taken a break at recess maybe 5 times.

I'm also into restitution. Kids need to learn ways to come back from a bad choice, not just how to endure punishment. How to apologize, how to "fix it", how to make it up to a person. They are children, and they will make mistakes. In fact, it's one of their primary functions!
Giraffiesauru is offline   Reply With Quote

astitchshort

Old 08-20-2010, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

my friend does 'silent recess.' she doesn't make them do laps, but she tells them they can if they want. they just cannot play.
astitchshort is offline   Reply With Quote