Help

Math & Science

Foldables

>

westwood

Foldables
Old 08-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just purchased the book for math from Dinah Zike. Has anyone done any of the foldables for 3rd, 4th or 5th? I would love to hear your experience, what worked and what didn't and your favorite foldables. If you have pictures, that would be the icing on the cake. Thanks so much for any thoughts you have!

westwood is offline   Reply With Quote

jmeanne

Old 08-29-2010, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really love this book! There is so much you can do with it. I've been using it with my 5th graders for two years now. I think the best thing for them to learn is the shutter fold because you can make so much by doing variations of that. The layered book is also really useful and the pocket book if you need to sort things. There are some samples of what we've done so far this year on my blog www.adventuresinfoldables.blogspot.com -- there are some really fun ones for 3rd to do with triangles. The hardest thing I think is teaching them to fold into 5ths. Once they master that - it gets a lot easier. I'm happy to answer more questions if you want - just pm me!
jmeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

dbmwhaley

Old 08-30-2010, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love Dinah Zike foldables!!! I use all kinds of foldables in my room. Anytime that you need to take notes, try to make a foldable out of the notes. I teach 6~8 so I'm trying to think of examples that may help you. I don't have any pictures

Examples ~ Place value (fold paper in half and make a flap for each place value; label the outside a number and the inside what place value it is)

Division/multiplication (any time I need to show multiple steps I make a three paper fold. I'm not sure what page its on in the book. Each fold shows a different step written out in word form and an example)

Vocabulary (make a flap that you can have the word on the outside and when you open it up you can put the definition)

You can make anything with a foldable. My students don't think that they are really taking notes because its fun and colorful. We use a lot of colored paper and markers.

Just curious, your name is westwood. Would you be from Texas?

Good Luck!!!
dbmwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote

westwood

You Guys are Awesome!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas--I'm excited to get started.
I love your blog--what great things you're doing!
And--nope, not from Texas!
westwood is offline   Reply With Quote

tinkandfrog

foldable experience
Old 09-06-2010, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have not actually done them myself. I am a special education teacher and have assisted my students with MANY. There was one teacher that did a fold-able for a lot of subjects. I really liked it because it was very easy to adapt for my students. They could still meet the requirements of the assignment, do what the other kids are doing, and be successful with it. The kids really seemed to enjoy going them also. She always used manila paper which would be folded in x amount of sections and they would cut flaps. Usually on the front would be a picture and/or a label, and when they flipped the flap there would be info about that topic.

tinkandfrog is offline   Reply With Quote