Activities for Complementary, Supplementary, and Vertical Angles?? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Math & Science

Activities for Complementary, Supplementary, and Vertical Angles??

>

KLRMath

Activities for Complementary, Supplementary, and Vertical Angles??
Old 08-29-2010, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for a hands-on activity to do with my 8th grade Geometry students involving complementary, supplementary, and vertical angles. It needs to be an activity that can take up to 30 minutes. Any ideas out there??!!
Thanks!

KLRMath is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

acute, obtuse ,and right angles
Old 08-29-2010, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Even though I teach 2nd I run an enrichment math club for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, and you might be able to stretch it and apply it. Here it goes:
1 )After intro. lesson of all the angles I begin by connecting two 12 in. straight edges (we don't have protractors) and measure angles around the classroom. ( > , <, or = a right triangle). We labeled objects by angles with a post it note to practice academic language. You could classify as well.
2 ) Next we went into the cafeteria (you might be able to go into a science lab?) and measured angles there. . . outside buildings might be good too. Of course most were right angles.This is where you might incorporate higher level concepts and have discussions.
3) Back in the classroom I passed out red vines and instead of using the straight edges for debriefing we used the licorice sticks. In order to eat them they had list or draw items in their math log. I myself had a large protractor I put on my elmo.
I hope this sparks an idea and is not too juvenile !
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

dbmwhaley

Old 08-30-2010, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have tables in my room and I put tape down on my tables and we use dry erase markers to mark each type of angle. The students love writing on the desk so we have fun.

I have also used straws and made the angles. You can use the bendable straws and tape down (we put them in our journals).

Pipecleaners work too.

Good Luck!!
dbmwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote