Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

After a test Activity

>

Lgr8teacher

After a test Activity
Old 10-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 8th grade math. I am giving a test tomorrow and I always run out of ideas to do after a test. I teach a 90 minute block and I give the whole block for them to complete the test.

For those students who finish early I have a fun, educational math worksheet for them to complete and if they happen to finish that then they just take out a book and read. But if everyone finishes early and there is still time left in the period, what can I do with the entire class? I don't want to start a whole new lesson. And they just took a long test so I want to do something fun.

What is a good "after test" activity for 8th graders? Plus its a Friday =]

Lgr8teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

BeagleLover86

Old 10-28-2010, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our middle schoolers LOVE logic puzzles...there are tons of websites you can print some off from...it's a good group activity because they have to talk and make decisions together. Maybe do one or two as a class and then let them do some on their own!
BeagleLover86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Logicat

Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You could do a cooperative problem-solving task, like this one:
http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/d.../coopsqurs.pdf

or google math games- there are lots of whole-class and small-group games they could play
Logicat is offline   Reply With Quote

imalith

free time
Old 10-29-2010, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Middle schoolers value freedom. If you want to reward them, give them 20 minutes of freetime. I always have board games and puzzles. Since you are a math teacher Yahtzee would be fun since it is more of a numbers thing that requires a little logic. Sudoku puzzles might be fun, too.

Apples to Apples is a fun game that anyone can play.
imalith is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Old 10-29-2010, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If I have extra time after a test, when the whole class is done, I like to get out the class set of whiteboards. ( You can get a class set at Lowe's or HomeDepot for about $15.) You can also use laminated sheets of cardstock or even have them write on sheet protectors. I prefer the whiteboards, though, because they're larger and easier for me to see.

Give the class a problem, and have them solve it on their board. Ding a bell or give some other signal and have them all hold theirs up at once. ( Be sure you solve it on your own board too, so they can see the proper solution. )

I don't teach math, but I use whiteboards all the time, and the kids love it. ( I'm middle school, too. )

Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

time
Old 10-29-2010, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It depends on the length of time. I taught English and world history, but when I had a few moments sometimes I used one of my pre-written set of mental math problems. (Actually, we were required to incorporate math and science in all our classes.)

With NO pens or pencils, they would listen as I ran through the steps - never going back. Sure taught listening skills. I had a braggin rights list that they got to add their name to if they were the first to give me the correct answer. Other times I gave them each a post-it note and they wrote their name on it. As soon as I finished, they had to immediately write the answer, and I collected them and all who got it right added their names to the braggin' wall.

For example: Everyone - start with 5, multiply by 12, subtract 4, divide by 7, find the cube root, multiply by the room number we are currently in, add 12, divide by 4, etc. And sometimes I'd finish with things like "Multiply by 0" "to the zero power" lliterally negating all the previous answers because the answer would be the same no matter whether they had been correct all along or not.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Old 10-29-2010, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Another thing that would be fun would be lateral thinking puzzles. I know you can find books on them-- maybe google it. They're the situational puzzles where the "players" can only ask yes or no questions until they figure out the situation. Like: "The music stopped and she died. What is the situation ?" ( They're great for car trips too. )
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

acorngirl

Sometimes...
Old 10-29-2010, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just pull out Trivia questions...some of the OLD ones are funny for the kids because they're a bit outdated.

ANother thing..you could do idioms, such as "A rolling stone...." and have them fill in the blanks. YOu can get some funny responses.

You could do vocab review (of old concepts and units)...pictionary or charades, even.
acorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

powellstarkey

Read Aloud
Old 10-29-2010, 11:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I know you teach math but you could choose a read aloud to do in your classroom when you have a few minutes extra in class. To get students interested in the book you could have some scheduled extra minutes in class.
powellstarkey is offline   Reply With Quote

snapshot

24 card game
Old 10-30-2010, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our math teacher used to have a couple of sets of these cards. Kids loved them! It was amazing how fast paced the game was and the thinking the kids would be doing! I couldn't keep up but used to love to watch.

snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote

DoxieTeacher

Old 10-30-2010, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I usually allow them to play games. If we are talking about a long time, I would simply go onto the next section I needed to teach. But, if it is a short time I let my kids play "Shut the Box." It is a dice game that they love. You can also allow them to play other dice and card games if you have dice and cards.

Attached is an order of operations game sheet that another teacher on PT sent to me. I have not used it yet, but I did print it out on cardstock and laminate. I will probably use it after a test one day.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Order of Oper Game.doc (29.5 KB, 190 views)
DoxieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

dbmwhaley

Old 10-30-2010, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I love the order of operations game. Thanks!!!
dbmwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Barbryan

thanks!
Old 10-31-2010, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I love this game and can't wait to try it out!
Barbryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lgr8teacher

Old 11-01-2010, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas! I have so many different options now after a test.
Lgr8teacher is offline   Reply With Quote