Magnolia Room

Time out/letter to parents

>

@lovingmylife

@lovingmylife

Time out/letter to parents
Old 11-03-2010, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a letter they send home to parents that explains the RC approach to classroom management? I'm in need of rewriting mine and I would like to see some examples. THank you!!

Also, I need a name for my time out chair that reflects the purpose of the chair. It's a place to calm down and refocus so my previous name of "Thinking Chair" doesn't seem to fit. I don't want them thinking about the behavior that sent them there. I was considering calling it the "take a break" chair but sometimes take a break could be head down on the table so I'm still thinking of other options. I don't like "time out" because of the neg feelings a child could attach to that name.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Mrs. R :)

Two ideas:
Old 11-03-2010, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. Teachers and Parents Working Together is an amazing book I use year after year for models of letters and other communication with parents. Look into buying it if you can afford to. It is a very wise investment. In the meantime, head over the the RC Site and search the archived docs. You may find something to help you there.

2. Have your kids help you come up with the name for the chair. If they name it, it will have less punative vibes...the same as when you made your classroom rules with them. I am sure they bought into the rules more with having helped make them than if you just gave them the rules on the first day. I am always excited by what they decide to call our spot!

Good luck!
Tchr4evr

Tchr4evr

Choosing Chair or Stop and Think
Old 11-05-2010, 09:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We call it stop and think - to help us stop and think of what to do to make it better. Students use it on their own as well as when adult guidance is needed. They learn to do deep breathing, counting, visualizing, etc skills for calming and regaining self-regulation. I have a tub of positive social skill books there for those that need extra time, but most only use about 3 minutes. Having students help name it could also work depending on your class and teaching style.