Help

Magnolia Room

Pbis?

>

afmom2boys

Pbis?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone. I am the only one at my school that is using Responsive Classroom. Recently my principal has intiated that we become a PBIS school and has since had a team trained. I am not too familiar with this, but we are now a PBIS school level 1. Is anyone familiar with PBIS? Will I have to abandon Responsive Classroom. I'm having a hard time this year because we are now going back to centers (Smart Centers- they're books in boxes and task cards) and guided reading instead of guided reading and reading workshop, and a writing portflio instead of writing workshop. I am freaking out because in my heart this is all wrong.

Uggg- help!

afmom2boys

and also
Old 03-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the writing portfolio is where you give them a writing prompt every day and they respond for 30 minutes.

rSquirrel

Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I dislike writing prompts....There is no engagement or interest in these prompts. I think they are good for those few kids who are stuck and cannot even get started on their own...but for the majority they are stifling and lack creativity and create a sense of being done when Ive written one sentence.

How do you find the writing prompts are going? Are the students engaged? Are they able to write for the whole 30 minutes?

I am lucky to live in Canada and not have any prescribed structure for anything I teach. We have a curriculum and I get to choose how I meet those outcomes.

I dont know anything about PBIS so I am no help there.

I think RC is amazing and hopefully you are able to still teach that way in your class.

Sorry no advice...lol...Just lots of love and support!

afmom2boys

Old 03-10-2011, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I haven't started the prompts yet... next year. However, my first few years of teaching- that is what I did. My kids did better overall in writing than the rest of the grade level- but the other classes didn't have their children writing at all.

I use Writer's Workshop now. For a few years I followed Calkins K-2 books exactly, but now I have branched out and have written my own lessons. In RW, I created my own. My kids are great writers and readers... I want to keep it that way.

TrueTeach

Pbis
Old 03-12-2011, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My experience with PBIS is that it can be tailored to each individual school...HOWEVER, most of the time it involves a lot of tangible rewards, e.g. the treasure box kind of thing. And it usually involves everyone in the school doing the same thing. My school adopted PBIS, but we really didn't implement it, and so each teacher still does his or her own thing, which works for me because I really like RC! I'm also sorry to hear that you are being required to teach a curriculum you do not believe in. That is the worst feeling, like you said. I hope you can keep doing RC. Best wishes!

Beth/OK

Love PBIS!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am RC trained and our school has implemented PBIS this year. We have a core team of PBIS teachers. We have tailored things to fit our school.

What I love:
-expectations are the same for everyone
-celebrate the positives (doesn't have to be rewards)
-less chaos
-just like in RC-practice, practice, practice expectations!

I think it all comes down to the way PBIS is implemented. I think it fits in perfectly with the way I run my classroom.

InTheMiddle82

PBIS...it can work!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

PBIS can work if you give it a chance. At my school ( we are 4th-8th grade), we started PBIS at the beginning of the year as a standard for COMMON area behavior. We give out reward tickets when we see kids following school expectations or being good citizens. We have a school pledge that we recite and we have weekly ticket drawings for prizes, a school store where they can spend their tickets, and school wide reward parties.

I think the reason why we have been successful so far is that we started slow ( we only hand out tickets in the common areas like hallways, cafeteria, morning waiting spaces, etc) and we are consistent in reminding the kids about PBIS every day through tickets and positive reinforcement. We also put into place a great PBIS minor offense log to handle those small, but annoying minor offenses that happen inside the classroom. It has made us all more accountable.

To answer you question: you probably will still be able to do RC in your classroom, there are a lot of commonalities between the two. Hope this helps!