Help

ARCHIVE

Teacher/student relationships

>

linny22

Teacher/student relationships
Old 07-14-2007, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't know about anyone else, but I am fed up about hearing how teachers are having sexual relations with their students. I feel that tv shows are ridiculing all teachers because there are a few bad apples in the bunch. I know that it is the job for tv personalities such as leno, letterman, etc. to make fun of everyone, but i finding it disturbing when they make these jokes about teachers. I feel that the whole institution of teaching now has this negative stigma attached to it. And if you happen to be an attractive teacher, then you are portrayed as definitely having sex with students. Anyone else have opinions on this?!

linny22 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

i guess I'm showing my age
Old 07-14-2007, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but I remember when teaching was a highly respected profession. In the last 10 years or so, opinions have changed so much that I'm almost embarrassed to say I'm a teacher. Almost every day, you hear about teachers having sex with their students. Some of those may be false accusations, and it's so hard to know if a student is lying or not. But there are so many that are proven. I know that states are now fingerprinting and doing background checks, but that doesn't always catch them either. I don't kow what the answer is, and I don't know if it's possible to restore the respect.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

wonder
Old 07-14-2007, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wonder if these teacher/student "relationships" didn't happen so much before, or if we just didn't hear about it. I'm also especially disgusted by the double standard when a female teacher is accused of having sex with a male student. So many men seem to have an attitude of "lucky him!" It must be weird being a high school teacher where so many of the kids are having sex anyway, some people are probably able to justify these relationships in their minds. The problem is, whether they can consent or not, teachers are in a position of authority (and hopefully respect) and there should be no question that this is WRONG!
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.EastCoast

people are sick.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't run into the lack of respect problem because I teach 2nd graders and I am female. I am certainly not having any kind of sexual relations w/ ANY of my students. Ick.

But you know, we live in a sick world. I am disgusted when I hear about ANY adult having sexual relationships w/ ANYONE underage, student or not.

But you want to know what, and I stand by this. A 16 year old boy who has sex w/ his teacher KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING. Shame on the teacher ... but shame on that boy too. They are both wrong and old enough to know better.
Mrs.EastCoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Helen

I agree
Old 07-14-2007, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with Mrs. East Coast. It takes two to do the act. Now if it were a younger child, I would place full blame on the teacher, but a high school student knows what he/she is doing.

Helen is offline   Reply With Quote

beach06

This was happening
Old 07-14-2007, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

20 plus years ago and it was like it was OK?! In my high school during the early-mid 80's there were four male teachers that were sleeping with students. Two of the teachers married the girls(though they had to divorce their wives first) because of pregnancies. One of those couples is still married today and they have 4 kids. He still teaches at the school. The other couple had more children but they are now divorced. The other two didn't marry the girls but when their wives found out they did get divorced. Nothing was ever done to those teachers. They all stayed to teach for quite awhile after these incidences with the one still being there today. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it today. Maybe because they were men it was viewed differently? I don't know but everyone (teachers and administration-- as they did nothing) involved should have known better.

Last edited by beach06; 07-14-2007 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: clarification of statement...sorry for misunderstanding!
beach06 is offline   Reply With Quote

kali

I am shocked
Old 07-14-2007, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That you could place any blame on an under aged child. A minor is a minor and a 16 year old boy is still immature and unable to make well informed choices and know how to handle situations that they have not already been confronted with. If an adult women is having sex with a 16 year old it has a lot more to do with sex and much more to do with power, control, and self gratifying purposes. A minor be it girl or boy is a victim when they are under the legal age of consent. A teacher is in a position of trust and power and is able to control a situation to their benefit.
kali is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Politely disagreeing
Old 07-14-2007, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The teacher is in a position of power and authority over the student. The teacher is responsible for doing the right thing. A sixteen year old hormone laden boy may know the right thing to do, but he is not mature enough to make those choices in the face of the power inequality and the temptation.

However, those acts and activities will affect him as negatively as it would a girl put in the same situation. At the time, he may be thinking he's getting lucky, but afterwards....maybe not so lucky.

Last edited by PrivateEyes; 07-14-2007 at 04:48 PM..
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

SC

Old 07-16-2007, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't think that teacher/student relationships are anything new, but they definitely get a lot more publicity now than they used to. A teacher at my high school slept around with guys on the soccer team, and everyone knew it.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote

bucki

teaching vs other jobs
Old 07-17-2007, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think that many jobs are made fun of in the media. You hear of drug addict doctors, sex crazed politions, money hungry lawyers, bus drivers, clergy, actors, musicians, writers... they are all made fun of at times in the media.

bucki is offline   Reply With Quote

Mariposa

Then again...
Old 07-17-2007, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

aren't you glad you're not a priest?
Mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Weezer

Amen!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

AMEN to that! I was thinking the same thing. Not only is it bad to be a teacher, try being one in a Catholic school!!!!!!! I'm not, but I feel sorry for them with all the publicity.
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveElemInNY

It's horrible...
Old 07-17-2007, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Two teachers have been fired from my old high school for having inappropriate relationships with students, and one more is now under investigation by the school. I'm as shocked by it now as I was years ago when it happened. It's awful, and I agree that it's placing an undeserved stigma on the rest of the teaching PROFESSIONALS in the world. Even worse, the students who were involved with the now fired teachers at my old high school were completely aware of what they were doing (though still not mature enough to really understand the decision they made) - so much so that they BRAGGED about it to their friends. Obnoxious and completely inappropriate.
LoveElemInNY is offline   Reply With Quote