Help

Magnolia Room

should there be Morning Work?

>

AnnaCanTeach

should there be Morning Work?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I did my full week training at the beginning of the summer. I understand that as they come in the children should unpack, greet, do work on the morning message...but then what?

In my school the children come in from 7:40-8:00. Some children unpack and are done with the message by 7:45. I used to do morning work packets, but they really want to chat a bit.

Should they do some academic work and settle or have the time to chat...or other options. the packets worked fairly well, they could talk and work at the same time, but I'm looking for something better.

Thanks!

Mrs. R :)

Meaningful and Related
Old 08-05-2011, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It sounds like you are trying to find more meaningful and related activities for your students to complete in that 15 minute time. I have a few questions for you.

Do you have to begin at 8 for MM? Since most of your students and you are ready to go at 7:45, could you begin MM then? What a gift to "add" 15 minutes to your day!

Are there acticities you could introduce as the year goes on that lend themselves to your curriculum throughout the day? For example, when we are in our Geometry Unit, I put out a few center-like activities for the children. Geoboards, pattern blocks, templates and allow free exploration during my 15 minute "Morning Job" block. When we study plants, I put out their Science Journal and have them record their observations of their seed. Weekly Readers, Book Shopping and quick math intervention groups are also ways I meet my students' needs in the morning.

Those are just 2 thoughts. Hope they help you think this time through so it is meaningful!

AnnaCanTeach

schedule
Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our kids trickle in from 7:40-8:00. Some kids are just finished unpacking at 8:00. I do need to get to morning meeting right away since we have specials at 8:20.

I want to eliminate as much of the getting up and down time as possible. I'm looping with my kids and they are a social group so I'd like to keep the noise and action down while we get ready for school.

Mrs. R :)

I see!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Awesome job identifying a behavior you'd like your children to show you... just turn it around to the positive. Instead of "eliminate the up and down"what do you want to see children doin in your class? Staying focused on a good morning choice?

Once you identify the positive behavior, you will be sure to use Interactive Modeling to teach what your expectations are for hte morning routine! The best part is that it won't matter what activities you pick, because you will Interactive Model the behavior about what it looks like and sounds like to participate in that part of your morning.

Good luck! I'll be doing the same thing with my first graders.

Tea"cheer"

Old 08-11-2011, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm glad that you asked this question. There is a good 10-15 minute transition for my first graders in the morning and I need to do attendance and lunch count on the computer as well. There are so many parents that stop in during that time, phone calls, etc. that my kids really need to be doing some focused task. In the past, I have asked them to make their lunch choice, fill their water bottles, sharpen their pencils, check their book bins, etc. However, there are always some kids that finish everything quickly (or they are the first to get there and the last ones trickly in 10 minutes later). That transition time in the morning is my least favorite time of the day. Before I implemented Daily 5 and Writers' Workshop, I used to have them journal, which went well. However now with D5 and WW, I don't want to burn them out on writing!

ococ

Old 09-02-2011, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a trickle effect as well. I have always given morning work and still plan too. However, this time I plan to give an EASY (no stress) morning math warm-up to be done at their seats after they unpack and get ready for the day. It will be done before morning meeting. Any student who finishes will be instructed to read to self. We will check it together right after morning meeting. I created a morning routine poster that hangs in the front for reminder.