Help

ARCHIVE

Poetry Notebooks?

>

N2Teaching

Poetry Notebooks?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you use these in your classroom? I'm really interested in doing these this year. However, I have a few questions!!! (Being the organized person that I am .... I need to get the information straight before I decide on it definitely!)
*Do you do these everyday? If so, what activities do you do with them each day?
*(This may sound crazy!) Where do you get your poems for the book? I don't know how I, personally, could come up with so many poems that 1st graders could be somewhat fluent with.
*Do the students copy the poems, or do you have them copied for them to glue in the notebook?

Any other information about the poetry notebooks would be gladly appreciated!!!!! Thanks so much!

N2Teaching is offline   Reply With Quote

teach & learn

I used them
Old 07-10-2007, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

way back when I taught first and loved it. I had folder with all my poems, but someone borrowed it and never returned it! Ugh!!

I used simple poems to start like Two Little Blackbirds as well as seasonal, holiday, and theme related poems.

I did one a week. I introduced it at the beginning of the week and we practiced it all week and then added it to our favorites. I usually did a few old favorites as a warm up to my shared reading. At some point in the week, they would glue it into their notebook and illustrate it. I used black and white composition books. I put the poem Keep a Poem in Your Pocket on the first page and then had them glue their new poem on the back of that page and illustrate on the next page, so that the poem and illustration were side by side.

I might use it during the week to look for sight words, letters, or word parts. I usually used it for Thursday night's homework- read a few poems to their family.

It's a great way to practice fluency, they are short and all feel successful as a result.

There are so many sources for poems, especially with the internet! I didn't have that! Oh, I would also use some of our songs in there too!

I'll bet other grade 1 teachers on here will share!
I am attaching Two Little Blackbirds so you can see how I got them ready for the kids!

Good Luck!!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Two Little Blackbirds.doc (24.0 KB, 499 views)
teach & learn is offline   Reply With Quote

MalibuBarbie

Yes I do!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a bunch of thematic and seasonal poems on charts! I illustrate them (sometimes with colorful clip art that I glue stick on, sometimes I let kids illustrate, sometimes I draw the pictures myself--horrors!) then laminate.

This is an EXCELLENT resource:
http://www.canteach.ca/

Check out the songs/poems as well as all of their other good stuff.

I type the poems, (and save them in my .docs in a file called Month by Month--which has files for each month--and each month can have files...October might have file folders for poems about nocturnal animals, pumpkins, Halloween. How's that for organization? EZ to find!) print them for the kids and three hole punch them before handing them out.

As far as organization...
In the past, I've taught the kids how to put them into duo tang folders--that are starting to be on sale! I saw them for 10 cents a piece this week at K-Mart. I always load up on a bunch of colors. CHEAP and boy, do they ever come in handy--for Writer's Workshop or Scrolling (Everyday Math), Poetry Folder, and Learning Logs.

This past year, we ended up with SO MANY poems, I decided to move the poems into the three ring binder I had everyone purchase at the beginning of the year. It was supposed to be for their writers workshop writing but that didn't work for me. One year, we had TWO duo tang folders for poems. The kids knew that their first folder--the red one--had poems from the beginning of the year up through the holidays. In January they got a purple folder and we started out with winter and penguin poems. They knew where to find specific poems!

When you type them, use a large, ez to read font. I try to use poems that are no more than about 8 or 10 lines. Since I have these poems on big charts in the classroom, longer poems won't fit and, like you said, kids can have trouble with the fluency aspect.

As far as when to "do" poetry folders...that's something you can experiment with. Many teachers do a poem of the week...teach conventions of print and high frequency words, etc. all week then hand out the poem for the kids to illustrate and add to their folder on Friday.

Personally, I will read (sing! Many are songs!!! That REALLY helps with fluency and confidence for your non-readers) the poems on charts with the kids for a couple weeks. Then I'll hand out about 5 or 6 poems at one time for the kids to read, illustrate and add to their folders.

Be sure if any kids are absent that day, that you have your teacher's helper (one of our classroom "jobs") get out their poetry folders and add the poems. As kids finish illustrating, they can go back and read all the poems.

Something else I've had the kids do is use a highlighter to highlight high frequency words or words they know how to read. This is something you'll really have to think through--kids might start highlighting every single word! You don't want that--and you don't want them going back and forth, back and forth with a highlighter over a word because it makes a hole!

You might model with the poem on the overhead--or use your laminated poem on chart with highlighter tape. Have them locate word wall words in the poem to start with. If easy words like MOM, DAD, STOP, GO, LOVE, PIZZA show up, you might want to have them highlight those words, too!

Oh--I just thought of something else we do! We have fifth grade buddies who come to read to us for about 1/2 hour each week. Once we get a few poems under our belts, I have my kids SURPRISE their buddies one day by READING TO THEM from their poetry folders. The kids are so proud. Then, as we get going with Guided Reading/Reading Workshop, the kids have books to read to their buddies, too. But it's fun to see my first graders get their poetry folders out all year long and share the new poems with their buddies. I'm starting to get former students as buddies so it's fun for them to hear the old poems we did when they were in first grade!

If you make a list of things kids can do when they complete their work, be sure to add "Read from your Poetry Folder".

You can't go wrong with poetry folders and you don't have to start with a certain routine and keep it all year long if it doesn't work. Poetry folders are, from my experience, very flexible and WORTH IT!!!

If you do Units of Study (Lucy Calkins' Writer's Workshop), be sure to include non-rhyming poems in your Poetry folders. Kids need to be familiar with poems that don't rhyme because that's basically what they will be writing when you get to that unit.

Have fun!
MalibuBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish

Books
Old 07-10-2007, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have three books at school that have poems that have phonics sounds or high frequency words. I think I got them from Scholastic. They kept a folder of the ones we read in class. From time to time they would choose one to practice reading to the class. After we did a lot of them then I took them out of the folders and they made a book.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

HailGail

A few more ideas
Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also love using my poetry notebooks. There are a lot of great suggestions already.
I most often use poems that support the theme I'm teaching. If we are in the farm unit, I will type out (or cut and paste from websites) poems like Take me out to the Barnyard and Lots of Animals Come From Eggs. I pass them out one at a time and read, mark them up, dance them, rotate reading lines, echo read them etc. Then the kids illustrate each poem and number the page. I have them 3 hole punched and they add them to the back of their 3 ring binder.

I send the Poetry Notebook home as homework to read with families each Friday.

I also got a resource from Scholastic that has sight word poems. the children write in the sight word on blanks to complete a poem. Those worked really well too.

If you have a theme in mind, like farm for example, many teacher's class websites will have a theme section and will list poems that they use for that theme, Kinderkorner.com for example has many, many poems for use with themes.

The best recommendation I could give for the notebooks is from a girl who will be a 4th grade next year. Sara cried because the pages were getting worn from her 1st grade poetry notebook! Mom told me about this and helped an older sister arrange to have the notebook hard bound as a Christmas give for Sara. I was honored to write a dedication page. Just yesterday I was working out and the mom told me that when Sara rearranged her room, she set up a reading nook and placed her hardbound poetry notebook on the table by her comfy chair. WOW

Poetry notebooks can fill in spare minutes during a transition time. I've had the kiddos read poems with their grandparents during grandparent day and we use some of the chants from early in the year as "line up" calls after recess.

Here's my favorite (say it like a Marine)
First grade, First grade what do you say? (echo)
We're gonna have some fun today (echo)
We're gonna read and write and spell (echo)
We do these things very well (echo)
Count now (1,2)
Count now (3,4)
Count now (1,2,3,4,1,2. . . 34)

Have fun Gail

HailGail is offline   Reply With Quote

janicepet

Poetry Notebooks
Old 07-10-2007, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Check out jmeacham.com. Her website is an excellent source of information and poems. I do poetry notebooks once a week. Along with repeated readings we find and highlight punctuation marks, sight words, caps, letter sounds/word families we are working on, etc. We also illustrate each poem. The children bring their notebook home to share with family members.
janicepet is offline   Reply With Quote

MissGena

love them!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My students always love their poetry journals. Here is the first poem we use at the beginning of the year.

New room,
New pens,
New books,
New friends,
New packs,
New year,
New class,
LET'S CHEER!
MissGena is offline   Reply With Quote

Dee Dee

poetry notebooks
Old 07-10-2007, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I have seen classes where the children use a black and white notebook and add a poem a week to it and illustrate it. I loved the idea then. I love it even more now when school supplies are on sale and I can get thin binders for practically nothing on sale. or the notebooks for a cheap price. Last year I had kids that never, ever brought in all the school supplies I had asked for and I generously supplied some stuff for kids. Thank goodness for sales.Thanks for the great idea.
Dee Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have to start off by saying that composition notebooks work best in my opinion.

I use the actual notebook only on Friday, but the poems are our shared reading all week long so by friday when they glue the poem inside, they are familiar with the features and how to read the poem.

I get the poems from a variety of websites and books. I use something that goes along with our wordstudy or science/social studies units.

They do not write the poem, I type it on the computer ahead of time and copy it.

My children use 4 dots of glue to paste the poem on the left hand side of their notebook. We use highlighters or markers to underline, highlight or annotate the features we focused on that particular week. (So we might highlight all the parts of the plants in the poem... and another week we might underline the rhyming word pairs)

Once we have glued the poem in, they use the right hand side of the notebook to illustrate a scene involving the topic of the poem.

This is probably one of my favorite things to do during the week.

I've attached some of my poems for you to see how I conserve paper (and make sure that they don't hang off the edges of the notebook!) I tend to use non standard fonts, so the formatting may be slightly off but at least you'll get the idea.

I will say that the parents have been very supportive of the poetry notebook. They like that their students have a book of poetry that they can READ and take pride in. The students like that they are actually able to read what's inside their book and I've had parents tell me that they've kept their student's book long after their first grade experience. Good luck! It's a wonderful tool! Oh and let me know if you want more poems. I love sharing!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Apples, Apples.doc (19.5 KB, 411 views)
File Type: doc Dig a Little Hole.doc (20.0 KB, 252 views)
File Type: doc First Grade.doc (19.5 KB, 370 views)
File Type: doc Force and Motion.doc (19.5 KB, 260 views)
vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

janicepet

vateacher
Old 07-10-2007, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Could you attach more poems? Thank you for sharing!

kbbteacher

I love these
Old 07-10-2007, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have used a binder with clear sleeves for them to put their poems in (back to back to conserve sleeves)...I am excited to do them this year!
kbbteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

KT1st

Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Does anyone find that when the kids glue them into their notebooks it becomes a sticky mess? Do the pages stick together? I have trouble picturing them doing it neatly.
KT1st is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherdani21

Does anyone...
Old 07-10-2007, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Incorporate a poetry center into their literacy center time? I was thinking that I could do this. In the center the kids read the weekly poem, circle word wall words, end marks, capital letters, etc., put the poem in their poetry binder, illustrate the poem on the back, and then read the poem with their partner. If time, they can reconstruct the poem on the pocket chart and read/chant it. We would still sing/chant it everyday during morning meeting, but they do the rest on their own during center time. Of course, I wouldn't let them do this until I felt that they were capable of doing these tasks independantly. Thoughts?
teacherdani21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bash1626

Great Stuff!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

What a great topic. I really would like to have poetry folders this year.
Bash1626 is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

glue-y messes and more poems
Old 07-10-2007, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I haven't found the glue to be a problem since I stress 4 dots only... one in each corner. I also make a GIGANTIC deal about how they are the ONLY first grade class using glue in their notebooks like the second graders do (it's true, why not make it a motivator) So they think it's some sign of maturity and take it very seriously. I also just make sure to reiterate the 4 dots rule before each gluing.

I realize I can only post 5 poems at a time so I'm going to post until all my computer ones are up for y'all. Also, I suggest looking at the fonts for kids site... I use candycane for a few of my christmas ones and some of the other fun fonts too. It spices things up
Attached Files
File Type: doc Gases.doc (20.0 KB, 221 views)
File Type: doc I Am a Square.doc (20.0 KB, 228 views)
File Type: doc Irish Lepechaun.doc (20.0 KB, 186 views)
File Type: doc It is Autumn.doc (19.0 KB, 234 views)
File Type: doc It's Fall Time.doc (19.0 KB, 224 views)

vateacher

More...
Old 07-10-2007, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

And more...
Attached Files
File Type: doc Liquids.doc (20.5 KB, 190 views)
File Type: doc Little brown seeds.doc (19.5 KB, 163 views)
File Type: doc Mr Snowman.doc (21.0 KB, 189 views)
File Type: doc Parts of a Plant.doc (21.0 KB, 223 views)
File Type: doc Planting.doc (19.5 KB, 158 views)

vateacher

and more...
Old 07-10-2007, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

and more...
Attached Files
File Type: doc Pumpkin.doc (19.0 KB, 192 views)
File Type: doc recycle.doc (19.5 KB, 169 views)
File Type: doc Robbie the Rabbit.doc (20.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: doc Santa is Back.doc (19.5 KB, 149 views)
File Type: doc Snow.doc (19.5 KB, 163 views)

vateacher

not there yet
Old 07-10-2007, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

still coming
Attached Files
File Type: doc Solids.doc (21.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: doc Solids Liquids and Gases.doc (20.0 KB, 185 views)
File Type: doc Spring.doc (20.5 KB, 147 views)
File Type: doc Spring is Here.doc (19.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: doc Summer.doc (20.5 KB, 143 views)

vateacher

almost there
Old 07-10-2007, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Still more...
Attached Files
File Type: doc Sun.doc (19.5 KB, 168 views)
File Type: doc The Pledge of Allegiance.doc (19.5 KB, 227 views)
File Type: doc The Seed.doc (20.0 KB, 141 views)
File Type: doc This Is a Rectangle.doc (21.5 KB, 153 views)
File Type: doc This Is a Triangle.doc (20.0 KB, 146 views)

vateacher

Last one
Old 07-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Ok this is the last set. I have more but they're on the computer at school and the PT site is blocked, but you get the picture. We always put the Pledge in our poetry notebooks the first or second week of school because it's one of our state requirements that they know in first grade. Also, the last poem I'm posting doesn't actually GO in the notebook I use it for a handprint wreath we make during the holidays but I figured I'd add it in anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: doc What is a Circle.doc (21.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: doc Winter.doc (20.0 KB, 162 views)
File Type: doc Winter Wreath.doc (20.0 KB, 178 views)

janicepet

vateacher
Old 07-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Thank you for the poems!!!!!!

iheartmyclass

vateacher
Old 07-10-2007, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!
I'm so eager to use these in my room this year, esp. for the fluency practice they'll harness. Thanks for this topic, n2teaching!
iheartmyclass is offline   Reply With Quote

chockplease

Thank you VA
Old 07-10-2007, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Thanks for the poems!!!!
chockplease is offline   Reply With Quote

Dee Dee

Dee Dee
Old 07-10-2007, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Thank you for all those poems. Can someone tell me how to store them on my computer? Would I open each one up and save it in a folder?
Dee Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Bash1626

Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Can someone tell me how to store them on my computer?

Right now I have them in a folder. Then in subfolders by month. Then I am thinking doing another set of subfolders either by week or themes. Then I will also have folders by subjects.

Does any one esle have ideas?

Ohhhh! And I would like to make a CD. Just in case.
Bash1626 is offline   Reply With Quote

jerzgirl

Old 07-10-2007, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Friends at school
Are big and small
Friends at school
Are best of all.
jerzgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

IloveK

thank you for your generosity!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Thank you so much for the poems, this will give me a big jump start on the process. So far I have not found any cheap composition notebooks, I'm still waiting for a good sale. If anyone finds them for under a dollar please post a message!

Thanks again for taking the time to post the poems!
IloveK is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 07-10-2007, 09:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

No problem at all! In the past I've found the composition notebooks to be cheapest at the drug stores... last year I went to Walgreens and got them 3 for $1. I also saw that Ekerd and Rite Aid had them for 50 cents. I'm hoping these stores will have the same sale this year. Anyhow enjoy the poems!

LeapFrog

Rite-Aid
Old 07-11-2007, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

If you wait --(that is hard to do) Rite-Aid has them for 25 cents.
LeapFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

cc7781

Old 07-11-2007, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Thank you so much for sharing all your poems!

Question regarding the hand print wreath..Do you have the kids write the poem on one hand or all the hands? How do you make the wreath if you don't mind sharing that idea.
Thanks
cc7781 is offline   Reply With Quote

msharkey

Thanks for Sharing
Old 07-11-2007, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I'm inspired to start one this year now. Thank you.

I always start the year with the following poem.

So Long Summer
So long to fireflies
So long to sandcastles
So long to swimsuits
Hello to backpacks
Hello to pencils
Hello to new friends
Hello to school!

With all the talk about centers and reading workshop, I thought I'd share what I do for this station/center.

I keep this in a pocket chart in an open format that is programmed and with choices to make their own (I also include pictures since we start off talking about picture clues and it's good to reinforce strategies such as looking at beginning sounds)

So long to ____________
So long to ____________
So long to ____________
Hello to _____________
Hello to _____________
Hello to ______________
Hello to school!

After reading the original poem, we talk about the categories in the poem (summer and school). We brainstorm other words that could work in those categories that we could add to the poem.

This is usually the list we come up with:

For Summer:
  • the pool
  • the beach
  • beachballs
  • staying up late
  • flip flops
  • sandals
  • bathing suits
  • shorts
  • suntan lotion
For School:
  • crayons
  • pencils
  • pencil sharpeners
  • markers
  • books
  • teachers
  • desks
  • P.E.
  • Art
  • Library
  • Music
  • the cafeteria
  • the secretaries
  • the playground
  • buying lunch
  • lunchboxes
  • homework
I take their ideas, put them individually on sentence strip card. Then, I go into clipart and try to find pictures to match what each idea is.

They spend a week doing this station. At the end of the week, they create their own poem. They choose 1 So Long to... and 1 Hello to.... Then they write each part on 2 different pieces of storybook paper, illustrate each part, then we display it just in time for Open House!

Hope this makes sense,
Maureen
msharkey is offline   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

Two more
Old 07-11-2007, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Two poems my class enjoys at the beginning of the year are Yellow Bus and Color Rap. I believe I got them out of a Scholastic book. Naturally, my poetry folder is at school and I can't remember all of the words. Maybe someone out there knows these two.
liberty teach is offline   Reply With Quote

cathybev

vateacher
Old 07-11-2007, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Thank you for the poems, there are many that I can use. I love the idea of using the composition notebook and having them glue the poem in it on Friday. I think I just decided what kind of poetry notebook to use this year, thanks for the great idea.
cathybev is offline   Reply With Quote

samoteach

Old 07-11-2007, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Each week, along with the copy that the kids put in their folder, I write the poems on sentence strips and put them in a pocket chart. Each poem stays up for the week. We do different activities with them every day. On Thursdays, we pass out the lines of the poem and the class works together to put it back together in the pocket chart. On Fridays, we sit in a circle with our poetry folders and pick a few to reread for fun. Sometimes for morning work, I give the kids a copy of the poem all jumbled up and they cut it out and glue it back together on another piece of paper.
samoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Hand Wreath Poem
Old 07-11-2007, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I cut the centers out of a paper plate and staple a piece of ribbon on the back in a loop so that parents can hang the wreath. Then they trace and cut out green hand prints and glue them in a circle around the wreath so it looks like the evergreen wreaths at christmas. They trace a bow onto red construction paper and glue that onto the green handprints. Then the children glue a copy of the poem onto the wreath on the front and they are done.

I do a similar art project during fall with ellison leaves that I cut out in fall leaf colors. We make a fall wreath and glue one of my fall poems... I think it's the one that starts "down down red yellow brown.." but I'm not 100% sure.

N2Teaching

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I want to thank everyone for all of the great ideas! WOW! I never expected the response! I am definitely going to incorporate poetry folders this year. I can't wait! And, thanks to vateacher I will be off to an excellent start! One question ... how do I save the poems to my computer in folders? Everything I save just goes into "My documents." How can I add it to a folder and name it? (I know ... I'm not very computer literate!) I will keep working on it though! Again, thanks so much for all of the ideas! You all are wonderful!!!!

Sherri

What A Great Topic!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I really enjoyed reading all of the posts. I thought about poetry but was sure how to really incorporate it - hmrm kids or rdg kids? write it or paste it? You answered my questions plus gave me many poems and ideas!!!

Thank you All!!!
Sherri is offline   Reply With Quote

chockplease

.50 comp books
Old 07-11-2007, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I was at WalMart tonight and they had comp books for .50 each. These were not the spiral ones these were the ones that were more like a journal.
chockplease is offline   Reply With Quote

teach & learn

N2Teaching
Old 07-11-2007, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

If on a PC:

right click and go to New-you will get a drop down menu
click on folder=click a new folder will appear on your desktop
To name it-right click on new folder-then rename-type in name

you can drog this to your documents if you so choose

any time you save a document-you have to specifically tell the computer where you want it saved ie Desktop/poetry or Documents/Poetry

N2Teaching

teach n learn
Old 07-11-2007, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Thanks for your tips to saving. Actually, I played around with it as soon as I had posted the question. And, I did figure it out!

Thanks!

LisaC1st

Thank you so much!
Old 07-12-2007, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

You have put together such a wonderful collection of poems! Did you write them yourself? I am thrilled to have them. I have poems, but most are too long to put in the composition books. These are perfect! I also didn't have many content poems for math. Thank you! Thank you!
LisaC1st is offline   Reply With Quote

epeaches

poetry
Old 07-12-2007, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Wow! Great suggestions. This year I am using Fountas & Pinnells phonics program and will use their poems. The noetbooks will be a great addition.
epeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

summertime

more stuff to share
Old 07-16-2007, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I use poem books (black composition books) for poems in class and sometimes for hw. I am attaching what I put on the first page of the composition book and a couple of poems.

Thanks to all that have shared. I love new ideas. It keeps me fresh and excited about teaching.

I just found the Listening Song from Mrs. Jones' sight. I made labels that I stuck on index cards and laminated. I will use them with my pocket chart.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Ready For The Hall.doc (19.0 KB, 226 views)
File Type: doc Scoops.doc (19.5 KB, 175 views)
File Type: doc Poem Book Set up.doc (24.0 KB, 325 views)
File Type: doc The Listening Song.doc (41.0 KB, 223 views)
File Type: doc Listening song labels temp 8163.doc (46.0 KB, 168 views)
summertime is offline   Reply With Quote

summertime

Here's another
Old 07-16-2007, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

Love this one. Probably got it from a friend on PT
Attached Files
File Type: doc PASS THE POEMS PLEASE.doc (48.0 KB, 359 views)

AbbyR

Authors?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I love the poetry book idea, and will try to do it this year. One question - do you include the author's name? I don't see it on any of the attached poems.

What a great thread, and thanks for all the great ideas!
AbbyR is offline   Reply With Quote

summertime

if I have the author's name...
Old 07-17-2007, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

I will put it in.

beachmom

unable to see pledge poem
Old 07-18-2007, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

what does it mean when music notes appear?
Thank you
beachmom is offline   Reply With Quote

teach & learn

attaching some more poems
Old 07-18-2007, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I collected some back to school poems from the internet and am attaching!
Attached Files
File Type: doc poems.doc (36.0 KB, 308 views)

LoveElemInNY

I can't believe it!!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

It's like Christmas in July!! This thread has been SUCH an incredible help to me - thank you, thank you, a million thank you's to everyone who posted! I love this website!
LoveElemInNY is offline   Reply With Quote

jerzgirl

Great teacher sitepoems included (printable)
Old 07-27-2007, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

http://www.mrsmcgowan.com/reading/poems/index.html
jerzgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
gabalyn

gabalyn

poetry journals
Old 07-30-2007, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

How wonderful! I am a big fan of poetry journals, they are terrific for any grade. As far as poems, you pick poems that you think will be good for the lesson you want to teach or a theme you may be covering that week. Let me start from the beginning. I use this poem for the whole week. Monday, read the poem to the children and talk about the meaning and go over any vocabulary words. Tuesday-Thursday I pick out things such as punctuation, phonics skills, TPR, parts of speech (call on students to come up and find the word with highlighter tape, markers, wicky sticks, have them put shapes around certain things) etc. Then on Friday the children will read the poem aloud (done t-th usually the star of the day uses a pointer), then I have them close their eyes to get a mental image while I read the poem to them. Then I ask a few students about what their mental image was and send them back to their seats where they will receive a copy of the typed poem and glue it into their journal on one side and draw their mental image on the other side (decorated with borders and all). Also, I have them find the things we found in the poem during the week, for example nouns. Throughout the year they can refer to this journal and read it during independent reading. At the end of the year, they have this nice complete journal of poems that they can read and some fun memories! Good Luck!