Help

The VENT

What Is So Important

>

GHVFAN

What Is So Important
Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

About a PD that teachers have to be out in sub freezing temps???? In the area where our teachers live, the weather service has issued a wind chill advisory for tomorrow.

I'm retired, but it makes me furious that my friends have to out in this weather! The PD has been delayed until 10:00 like that is the magical time when the w I d stops blowing and the temp rises.

If you have read this rant, thank you.

GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-06-2014, 10:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Teachers are expendable and don't make public fusses. Parents will fuss all over the media and admins don't want that going on
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

panic590

I feel your pain
Old 01-06-2014, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I live in the South and today (Monday) it was 10 degrees with a wind chill of around -2. Luckily in my county, school was cancelled for Monday and Tuesday.

In the HUGE neighboring county, they had teacher inservice day today (Monday) that they didn't cancel. Teachers had to go to school in negative degrees. For Northerners, it may not be so bad but it was TREACHEROUS for us Southerners! Also, they cancelled school on Tuesday for kids only, not the teachers. So, AGAIN, these teachers have to bear this terrible weather except this time they have nothing to do but stare at their empty rooms. Terrible!
panic590 is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Right Not to Report
Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

(((HUGS))) Soooo sorry for you (and them.)

The right to not have to work on 'snow' days is one of the few rights that our union has been able to maintain. A few years ago, that Emergency Manager had tried to say, "Schools are closed for students...teachers must report" and the union called him on it. The contract specified teachers don't have to report when schools are closed due to power outages or inclement weather. Word has it that the EM started to say how his power reigned and he could supersede the contract, but then he just decided to choose different battles.

I think a lot of the charters still have teachers report sometimes -- but no one's doing much school yesterday or today.
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

ColorWonder

Old 01-07-2014, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

With the wind chill factor the temperature today won't go above - 10 degrees in my city, and below in others. School is going on as normal across the entire state.

ColorWonder is offline   Reply With Quote

TishFish

Why do you not have school?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It's 10 right now (wind chill at -7) and I'm at school.

Plus our roads were covered in ice from all the rain we got yesterday. It was -27 in my cousin's city yesterday! (Before wind chill)

I used to live in Texas, and I know that buildings are not built to insulate against these temperatures. Is it a heating problem that is keeping everyone home? Or just not wanting to have people traveling in the cold?

At the same time, there's no reason for teachers to have to be there if the children are supposed to be staying home. I'm glad my school has never tried that!

Stay warm!
TishFish is offline   Reply With Quote

momabaarjo

Old 01-07-2014, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

While the cold temps are unpleasant, if the road conditions are not bad then I really dont see a problem with asking adults to come into work. I am sure that other businesses in your area are still working and not shut down. I assume that adults know how to dress and act responsible in cold temps!
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Cold
Old 01-07-2014, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I see it as a big problem. This cold can be (and it to some people) deadly!

I got locked out of my car yesterday because my locks freeze. Luckily, there were people around to help but stand out in the cold in subzero weather for 20 minutes and see how you feel. I live in the north. We are prepared for snow/ice/cold but we are not prepared for this type of cold. I have a heavy coat, scarf, and gloves on me. But what if they were locked in my car? Frostbite!

Also, house locks can freeze and pipes can burst at home. My downstairs level of my house gets really cold. I usually make a fire and have some space heaters. I can't do that if I am at work at some PD thing.

Luckily, here we are off when kids are. Yet, we've gotten late call offs where most teachers are already at school/kids on buses when the call to delay comes through. Plus, although I have HOURS of work that I can already complete at school, many people might have little/nothing to do. What is the point of risking lives/property just to have teachers physically at the school? I'm home today and I end up working on school stuff anyway. (Okay, probably on Pinterest...)
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

steelcitymom

Old 01-07-2014, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We are off today. It was -9 this morning with wind chills from -20 to -40. It was only -8 at the South Pole.
The main reason school is cancelled is that it is not safe for kids to walk/wait for bus. I'm sure there would have been issues with busses starting at this temp as well.
Teachers do not report. It is a blessing for parents who will have kids at home today. This also allows the district to have heat off in buildings and not have maintenance/ custodians working on roads, sidewalks etc just for us. That'd the main reason. I did have to attend a training yesterday (above zero though) but it was off campus and had been paid for. I didn't mind.
steelcitymom is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't have a problem with it. In our area, school is canceled because it would be dangerous for kids to walk to school or wait at the bus stop. The roads aren't treacherous, so I'd really have no issue with them expecting staff to report. We have heat in our cars and can dress warmly for the walk from the parking lot to the school. Other than that, the sub zero temps wouldn't really impact us.

roo is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I agree with the op
Old 01-07-2014, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If it's too cold and dangerous for the kids to go to school, teachers shouldn't have to report either. Its' not an issue of teachers being adults who can keep themselves safe and warm. It's the fact that they shouldn't have to go just to say they are there. If there isn't a scheduled inservice, they shouldn't manufacture one just to make the teachers come in.
I usually take stuff home with me if I have stuff to work on, and I think there might be a snow day the next day.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

amherstteach

Old 01-10-2014, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Why shouldn't teachers have to report? Do people with "regular" jobs get the day off when it's too cold? IMHO, it's situations like this that give the public a negative perception of teachers. School is called because the kids can't stand out and wait for the bus/walk to to school. As long as the roads are clean there shouldn't be a problem with attending an inservice.
amherstteach is offline   Reply With Quote

pink.sparkles

Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm not sure how it works everywhere else, but I am in the Boston area and we have to make snow days up at the end of the year. We were scheduled to get out June 15, but the date is pushed out one day for every snow day. We do not have to report because it is no longer one of our contractual 180 days. I have never heard of teachers having to report on a snow day! However, we do have to arrive on time when there is a delayed opening.
pink.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote