Help

Fifth Grade

Departmentalization - Pro? or Con

>

Bdrcolliez

Departmentalization - Pro? or Con
Old 01-16-2014, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Many schools are not starting to departmentalize the 5th grade. If your school is departmentalized, do you like it? What subjects do you group together? How long have you been departmentalized?

Bdrcolliez is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

On our 5th year
Old 01-16-2014, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One teaches Science and Math, one Social Studies and Bible, and I teach Reading, Writing, Grammar, and Spelling. I have a much bigger workload and grading pile, so instead of Bible, I would put one of the LA subjects with Social Studies. We love it!
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

cptjway

We compartmentalize
Old 01-16-2014, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and I hate it! I teach Language Arts and Social Studies, and the schedule is terrible! My block gets the same amount of time as Science/Math, which means I have only 90 minutes to teach reading, writing and social studies. We don't have enough time to teach reading. It's also stressful, because I have to watch the clock and rush through material, so my students can go to math on time. I can't really integrate subjects as well as when I was self-contained. I don't have the flexibility to change the schedule in order to do projects. I have too many students (and parents!); I'd rather have only the 25 all day long.

Note: we have 400 years of state history to cover, so I can't take time from social studies for LA. Grrr.

Last edited by cptjway; 01-16-2014 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: needed to add detail
cptjway is offline   Reply With Quote

Who Dat

departmentalizing
Old 01-16-2014, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We didn't departmentalize this year because of all the new curriculum with common core. Besides we couldn't put it in our schedule with all the pullouts at our school; specials, bilingual, reading intervention, math intervention. So, we may try to get it to work next year now that we are all trained with common core.
Who Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

shopgirl78

I <3 it!
Old 01-17-2014, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We each teach a tested subject (Math, Science & English/Reading) for 1.25 hours a day and then spend 45 mins on social studies for each of our homeroom (which will probably go to the wayside before the benchmark and STAAR).

shopgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote

dearduckyduck

Departmentalized
Old 01-17-2014, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have our sixth grade classes divided. I teach math and science, co teacher teaches ELA and social studies.

I like that I only have two core subjects to plan for. Plus, it gets the students ready for a junior high schedule and pace.

That being said, my co teacher and I have complete control of our schedules. We work together to make sure we each have time to do larger projects when we need to.
dearduckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote

pink.sparkles

Old 01-17-2014, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We tried it this year and hated it. The schedule was insane and we didn't have flexibility to add 15 min on to a lesson if we needed to. We spent way too long transitioning in the hallway and not enough time learning.
pink.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrmybiz

love it
Old 01-17-2014, 10:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did that for 13 years at the 6th grade level. Now I am in a school with only 1 section for each grade. But I loved it. There were three of us and we each taught our own Language Arts. (That does seem to have the biggest work load as another person posted.) Then each of us taught three sections of either Math, Science, or SS; it was perfect!
kidsrmybiz is offline   Reply With Quote

mommasboys

Old 01-18-2014, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have departmentalized for several years now and we love it! Each of us teaches a math class (at the same time) and then one teaches social studies, one teaches language arts, and one teaches science.
mommasboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Emmy

Old 01-19-2014, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Fifth grade is departmentalized and has been for 15 or 20 years.

We have 5 teachers. Soc. St. , Math, Eng./ Writing, Science, and Reading.

7th hour is Spelling and computer lab ( one day a week)

3rd hour is Specials: PE (2 days a week), Art, music, and keyboarding.

The class periods are 45min long.

Positives: you get to know all the kids , less prep time
Negatives: too short time, some things fall through the cracks

I taught it the last seven years of my career. It is much easier than teaching self contained.

Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
All Alone

All Alone

Self-Contained
Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hey! I have been a "lurker" on here for over ten years....I love reading the posts, but have never responded. However, this post really got my attention because I am having a difficult time with this.
We have seven teachers on our fifth grade team. Everyone is paired with another teacher and switches classes. Everyone but me. I am self-contained, and I teach everything. I would NEVER, EVER suggest this arrangement for someone. And not for the reasons that you think!
While I LOVE having my students all day and really getting to know them and their parents, it is SOOOO hard to be the "seventh wheel" on a team. When everyone gets to plan ("math/science" people meet and then ELA meet), I have to choose which group to plan with, because obviously I can't cut myself in half and be two places at the same time (We have a certain time to plan, and yes, everyone meets at the same time). Apparently the math/science people feel like I am "using" them when I plan with ELA, because I am getting copies of the math/science plans (sometimes-not always) and handouts, but I don't plan with them. When I realized that the math/science people were feeling this way, I started planning with them, but guess what? Yep, the ELA people started to get upset with me, and they wouldn't share anything with me. (This is only my first year in fifth grade-all of the other teachers have taught fifth grade for years). I have tried splitting my time evenly...but it still makes some group mad. I am now planning for every lesson for every class and create every assessment on my own so no one in either group feels "used." Whenever we have to pair up with another teacher for this or that, guess what? I am always left out or forgotten. Thankfully, I really love my school and kiddos because otherwise this situation STINKS!
I am in tears now as I write this, because I feel like such an island in this group of teachers. And guess what? I will be teaching self-contained again next year.
I guess my point is this: if you don't have enough teachers for everyone to be paired, please don't do what this school/district has decided to do. It really puts a teacher in a bad spot. Oh,
I know that some of you will suggest that we pair up with 2 teachers, 2 teachers, and then a group of 3 teachers. Nope, can't do it. Our district prohibits any elementary students switching more than twice.
Ugh! Bless you if you read this. I appreciate it.

frazzledtchr

I feel so bad for you, All Alone
Old 01-21-2014, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Your district/principal should not be allowing this to occur! That's crazy to let this happen! And shame on the other 6 teachers on your "team" for treating you this way! I can't imagine not being willing to help someone in your situation out. Maybe if parents voiced concern to the school board about their kids not getting the same type of experience?? I don't know, but I will say a prayer for you!
frazzledtchr is offline   Reply With Quote