The VENT

License expiring!

>

grav_def

License expiring!
Old 01-27-2014, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

And it is NOT my fault!

I sent in all the paperwork, which fulfilled all the requirements, along with the check, a few weeks before the deadline. But the state is so freaking backlogged that they are now processing applications they received in September! Which means that at the current pace, they'll get to mine--submitted in November--in late March. My grace period ends April 1.

And now I'm getting emails about how it's about to expire and I'm going to lose my job if I don't renew--and I've already done everything I can! So basically my continued employment is now dependent on someone else, who has a horrible track record, getting their job done in a timely manner.

(I notice, though, that they managed to find the manpower to cash my check very promptly. )

Do other states put people through stuff like this, or is mine extra dysfunctional?

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

copies?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do have copies of what you sent in to show your district, to prove that you, in fact, are in process of getting the appropriate license (I'd show the cashed check too, if you have it, as extra proof that it has been sent in and received.)
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

pink.sparkles

Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

UGH! So frustrating. Here in MA, I applied for an additional certification in early May. I met all the qualifications before I applied, paid via electronic check (we only do electronic applications now) so they had money instantly. They finally processed my licensure in DECEMBER. Then again, our DOE is only open for educator call ins from 2pm - 4:30pm.

Good luck getting it done quickly!!! I would be going nuts if I were you. Is it possible that your HR person has a contact with the DOE that could speed it up?
pink.sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Well, here's one way your state could improve
Old 01-27-2014, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my state, no matter when your license is issued, all licenses expire on June 30th. So, if you somehow allow your license to expire, it doesn't affect a school year. They do hold your contract until your license comes in.

Also, in my district, you submit your license through the district office. The district office checks and certifies that you have met all the requirements for certification, which speeds up the process.

I had a new license in hand within 10 days of sending in my paperwork and check.

I'm sorry you're having trouble, and hope that the process speeds up. Certainly, it would seem that your district could give you some leeway since you've done everything you can do in a timely manner. This really shouldn't be your problem.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 01-27-2014, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My district is actually being very understanding, but I think their hands are tied: If I am not (on paper) a certified teacher, I can't be in the classroom, period. That won't happen until April 1, though.

The HR guy did say something about a contact with the state, in case it does come down to the wire. Maybe they've got some strings to pull, but they're saving them for the last minute...that will help my stress levels for the next two months!

Quote:
In my state, no matter when your license is issued, all licenses expire on June 30th. So, if you somehow allow your license to expire, it doesn't affect a school year.
Well, THAT is a brilliant idea! Ours expire on our birthday. I guess the good thing about that is it keeps the paperwork spread out across the year...I can only imagine how bad it would be here if they had to do everyone's in the spring!

Charl

Old 01-27-2014, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Would it help to be a thorn in their side and call and email daily?

Sorry you are going through this. So frustrating!
Charl is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I hope all goes well
Old 01-27-2014, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

...and that they come through before April 1.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

We do everything via a website.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quick and easy - takes about two or three days. Then the district can check the website to verify that you renewed.
Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

bucket

renewing
Old 01-27-2014, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
When I was having difficulty, I took a day off work and went up and got it done in person. I think the problem was with New Orleans Public School System. They wanted teachers to turn in their paperwork to them and then they would send it in to the state. Somehow my paperwork kept getting lost. So I took a day off and handled it myself. This was 24 years ago so things are probably handled much differently now!

I hope it comes through more quickly than you think it will! Good Luck!
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

30th
Old 01-27-2014, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In my state they all expire (I think so anyway) on the 30th of the June as well.

When I moved to this state, I didn't have a license yet from this state. I had a license from another state though and was going through the process. The HR director for my district looked at my license and such and said that she knew it would transfer easily. She said apply right away and hopefully it would be accepted by the first day, but that if it wasn't, as long as it was with the education department, I would be fine because she knew it would lead to a license. Could that be the case with you? It's not like your license will be denied. Have you talked to HR? I'd think they'd have policies for this since this becoming a more common occurrence at educational departments.

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 01-27-2014, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What a pain! I am sorry you're going through this. It must be very frustrating. I pay my renewal fees automatically through the first pay cheque of January. Only teachers on leave of absence need to make arrangements to pay directly themselves. Hopefully yours is processed in time and everything works out for you.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

In my previous district, they had people without certification for over a year while they figured out how to do what they wanted to do. They originally were going to have us do this really convoluted list of activities in order to get our licenses renewed. They changed it eventually, but not before they made people wait without their teaching licenses for a super long time.

Hope it goes faster than you think and I hope it all works out. How incredibly wrong!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
hkn

hkn

Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When my state had a long backlog in issuing licenses my school applied for Community Expert Licenses for those teachers. They process a lot faster for some reason and had those of us covered whose licenses would expire.

frecklejuice

I think I'd talk to a lawyer if I lost my
Old 01-28-2014, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

job because the license wasn't processed in time. I'd keep a copy of my cashed check to show that it was submitted in a timely manner. It's too hard to find a job so if I lost my job over something like that, I sure wouldn't just sit back and take it.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

TLC

Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My paperwork sat at the DOE for months. I was getting frustrated and started nagging them with phone calls and emails. I contacted everyone and their cousin and asked them to check. Every contact left them with an expectation that I wanted to know what progress was being made and I cc superiors and even my congressman! I had my license in less than 2 weeks once I became proactive.

Go get 'em!
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
Be a thorn in their side and call and email daily
As someone who actually works in a DOE office, I can tell you this will get it done. Find out what department/division processes licenses and bug the heck out of them. I can't believe they are that far behind. That's ridiculous! Someone isn't doing their job.
I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 01-28-2014, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I do know they (OR) have an emergency process for initial credentialing. It's for people who are already hired and need their paperwork processed ASAP and has to be requested by the district. Check into that for renewal.

The website/email communication is ridiculous, and it was worth it to me to drive to Salem and talk to a person. Got all my questions answered in 20 minutes (plus the 2 hour round trip) vs days and days of back and forth emails and being on hold and not getting anywhere.

I turned my paperwork in August, and it was processed at the end of December. Being a thorn might not work because they specifically tell you it'll take 4-5 months and basically (their attitude, not mine) " lack of planning on your part is not an emergency on our part." In other words, tough.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

License
Old 01-28-2014, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We're lucky. Our fees are deducted from our pay automatically each year at the end of January and forwarded on our behalf. It does, however take several months for us to get our new sticker to put on our OCT membership card. (Ontario College of Teachers) Just makes things so easy.
Crazy3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Charl

Old 01-28-2014, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

There is no reason that a renewal should take months when there are no problems with the license. This should be a streamlined process after years of doing the same job! With online fee pay it should be even faster. I could understand if there was a document missing or whatever, but when everything is paid and in order, there is no excuse for months of waiting.
Charl is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 01-29-2014, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Thank you all for the advice and good wishes!

Quote:
The licensing board's website says it will make the situation worse. Basically, they're way understaffed (I read an account of the cutbacks they've had, and it really is ridiculous ), so time spent answering phone calls and emails is time NOT spent processing applications.

Quote:
Being a thorn might not work because they specifically tell you it'll take 4-5 months and basically (their attitude, not mine) " lack of planning on your part is not an emergency on our part."
My district sent out an email to that effect today. It's super frustrating, though, because no one told me before the deadline that they were taking so long! And I realize that the answer to that is I should have gone on their website and checked...but seriously, who is going to think to check their processing time months before your license is up, because they might be going slowly and you might have to submit early?

IMO if they can't process applications in a timely manner, they ought to set a deadline for getting the paperwork in a few months before the actual expiration. As of now, we are just told to submit renewal paperwork by the expiration date; it doesn't seem like an unreasonable assumption that you'll be fine as long as you do that!

Quote:
The website/email communication is ridiculous, and it was worth it to me to drive to Salem and talk to a person. Got all my questions answered in 20 minutes (plus the 2 hour round trip) vs days and days of back and forth emails and being on hold and not getting anywhere.
Crunch time will happen during spring break, so I'll be free to drive to Salem if necessary. But hopefully it won't be!

OneOldGoat

Old 01-30-2014, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

well, you've motivated me to check the dates on my certificate/licenses!!
OneOldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote