Help

High School

Taking over a class after 1st 6 Wks!

>

SpanishLLama

Taking over a class after 1st 6 Wks!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Taking over a span 2 & 3 class after they've had a sub for over a month! What are the best ways to see where the students are at? I'm pretty sure since they haven't been practicing they have pretty much forgot everything. What assessments would be best and where should I go from there?

SpanishLLama is offline   Reply With Quote

Pink_Elephant

Soldiering On
Old 10-24-2014, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, this sounds really tough. I would recommend testing the students. Give them an informal assessment. Make it only 5-10 questions that cover the basics that they were supposed to have learned. If lots of students miss question 1, then that is the section you should review. I wouldn't give them anything, but a participation grade for this assignment. It's just for you!
I would also suggest having a stoplight quiz. A stoplight has red, yellow, and green circles. If a student understands a topic, they put a sticky in the green. If they kind of understand it, they put a sticky in the yellow circle. If they don't understand it at all, they put a sticky in the red. Its okay to have lots of reds. Make sure they understand that. It may be frustrating for you, but it will reassure them.

--Pink_Elephant
Pink_Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote