High School

Unemployed HS English Teacher Subbing

>

storyteacher1

Unemployed HS English Teacher Subbing
Old 08-10-2014, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!
I have my B.A. in English and my Master's in Secondary Ed. I was teaching English AP and History classes in a private school until my hours were cut and it wasn't worth the drive into the city. I am now back to subbing and am often requested at the high schools in my area. Unfortunately, having my Master's before getting hired has not been a good thing. I have been told I am too expensive, too old, etc... I am never told these things in an interview, but teachers and principals have commented randomly. I have considered an endorsement, but am not sure about this investment at this point. I am in my early 50s and am wondering if I will be a sub teacher indefinitely. Ideas??

storyteacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

Same
Old 08-12-2014, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My husband is in the same boat... Masters degree, almost 50, etc... Getting a full time position seems hopeless.... He is still trying... Just apply to everything you are certified for even if it is not exactly what you want...May have to start out in a less than desirable position and move up from there
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

lamaestra

Old 08-20-2014, 10:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know the feeling, I have been subbing for 2 years and this is my 3rd year. This year I have a LTS position until December and then maybe I will cover for another teacher also going on maternity leave. I wish they would hire me as a regular full time teacher, but it's less expensive for them to keep me on as a LTS even though I do all the work of a regular teacher. I hope that after this year if there's a position at the HS where I'm working they will offer me a full time position.

Yes, apply for everything that you can and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
lamaestra is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

same boat
Old 08-21-2014, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My husband is in the same boat...masters degree, approaching 50 and can only sub...it is so frustrating to see divisions hiring 1st year teachers over him when he is so highly qualified!

He is considering a special ed endorsement. That is what is in the most demand here - that and high school math.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

storyteacher1

Thanks to all for the replies
Old 08-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks to you all for the replies and advice...it does actually help to know I'm not alone. I too am considering an endorsement in ELL, but a friend I sub for frequently has advised that I consider how many years I will be able to work, etc... Yes, I agree that it is most definitely "frustrating to see divisions hiring 1st year teachers..." I would think they would welcome the extra education and life experience, etc.

storyteacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

GrammarGranny

On being "mature"
Old 11-11-2014, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi, storyteacher! Good luck with getting a full-time job. You sound great; I'd think most districts would love to have someone with your background.

I may have to one-up you on the age thing: I'm a 54-year-old former adjunct college English/journalism teacher (with a cumulative 15 years' experience) and reporter who's just now getting certified to teach high school English. I'm subbing now, too, as I finish up my last classes and get ready to do my student teaching.

Although I'm "young" for my age, sometimes I let my age really bother me, like today in my upper-level psych class (classroom management, assessment), when I felt like a couple of twentysomething guys were snickering at the things I was saying in a class discussion. I've been feeling sad, anyway, because I just lost my mother (at almost age 93), and somehow their youthful know-it-all-ness just got to me. I actually started crying! I feel like I'm out on an ice floe as a non-traditional student, anyway, because the department really caters to the traditional-age new public school teacher.

Anyway, I feel like we just need to hang in there and encourage each other as mid-life job-seekers. You KNOW we have a lot to offer! If it's any comfort, I don't exactly get a lot of encouragement in my goals from anyone beyond my immediate family and circle of close friends. I suspect some consider me to be nuts, and one actually did say, "But how long will you get to teach? Maybe 10 years?"

You know what, what does it matter? Those years are going to go by, anyway, so why not spend them doing something we enjoy, something that makes a difference? We may even have more patience with those "youngsters" than the young ones do.

Good luck!
GrammarGranny is offline   Reply With Quote
GrammarGranny
Old 11-11-2014, 05:14 PM
This message has been deleted by GrammarGranny.

AMDucky

Old 12-25-2014, 11:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Go for an ESL endorsement. When you sub let the dept chairs know that you are looking for a full time job. I got lucky and was asked if I was interested in being a FT teacher, as the dept chair really noticed me when I was a LT sub.

AS a long term sub - you can't change the teachers plans but you can make them more interactive! Schools love using technology in the classrooms and love classes that are interactive! Spice up your lessons and brag about yourself to the dept heads and admins if you see them. There is no harm in selling yourself! Put yourself out there.
AMDucky is offline   Reply With Quote