Help

High School

Help with my daughter

>

mom23kids

Help with my daughter
Old 05-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello HS teachers. Any geometry teachers here? My dd is in 11th grade. She struggles so so much with math. She took the algebra regents 5x!! but finally got an 80! She is about to take the geometry regents. She did horribly on the
SAT's. I don't know how to help her with math. I already have a tutor. What do you suggest if anything. It's actually kind of late to do anything at this point. I'm just praying she passes the geometry class. Altho, she's taking the regents, she doesn't need it for graduation so I'm not worried about that one. However, thesse poor scores in math are going to prevent her from getting into a college
TIA

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

She will go to college
Old 05-27-2015, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Scores are not the be all, end all.

If she doesn't pass, she can do it again. If that's not possible, so be it. Have her get a good night's rest, eat a good breakfast, and give it her best shot. Take her out for dinner later.

And of course she can go to college, although engineering is out! (Sorry, I know in the midst of it, it's hard. But it's not the end of the world.)
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

FlyingLizard

Ld?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Has she ever been tested for dyscalculia? With math problems this major, esp. in both algebra and geometry (which are very different in terms of abstraction), an LD is a serious possibility.

As someone who went through K-12 with an unaddressed math LD, I can tell you that low math scores per se won't keep her from getting into college, if she's doing okay or better in her other subjects. They may mean she couldn't get certain scholarships that are based on standardized test scores.

I got straight into university with abysmal math scores (barely passed the math classes required for HS graduation) and high scores in everything else. I had to take a remedial math course freshman year.

Worst case scenario, she could do her first 2 years at a community college. Often CCs either have lower SAT/ACT score requirements for admission, or incoming students can skip submitting those scores altogether and take placement tests instead. She might have to take remedial math college courses to catch up if she really bombed the math portion of an entry test, but they wouldn't keep her from admission at most CCs.

Associate's degree from a CC = transfer to almost any university for the final 2 years = her final bachelor's would be from that university. (And CCs are a LOT cheaper, too - in my state, doing the 1st 2 years at one cuts nearly $10,000 off the final cost!!) The trick is being sure it's a GOOD CC, and that all credits will transfer to a university.

If she knows this alternate path exists, it might take some of the pressure off (and possibly even help her do better).
FlyingLizard is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 05-28-2015, 02:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for the responses. She has never been tested for discalcula (sp). She always did well up to 6th grade. Yes, the plan is to start at our local CC, but she had higher hopes. She knows she can trf so that seems to be the way we'll go. Thank you
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote