what are the characteristics of high school students and how to deal with them? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

High School

what are the characteristics of high school students and how to deal with them?

>

englishegypt

what are the characteristics of high school students and how to deal with them?
Old 07-18-2015, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I work at a middle school and I want to move to work at a secondary school, so I want to know the differences between the characteristics of them. If will be asked at the interview why we should hire you in spite of not having any experience as a teacher of secondary students, what is the best answer?

englishegypt is offline   Reply With Quote

katelaine65

Depends on the grade level.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ninth and tenth grader are very similar as seventh and eighth graders. Perceived fairness is a big issue with them. If you care about them they see it and respond well. That being said ninth graders sometimes have trouble understanding that they have to earn there grade and will not just be passed on. Where I work the junior high likes to pass on students that have issues. That means you get students that can't do a lot of basic skills that they cannot do.
katelaine65 is offline   Reply With Quote

yaya831

Mrs jimenez
Old 07-22-2015, 09:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

hi, just to let you know I went from primary grades to high school and I was surprised by how they students behave. I'm a paraprofessional. My advice to you, is that you have to have strong will and good discipline policy and you will succeed
Good luck. Now I have been at the high school for 8 years. I like it.
yaya831 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

taught both
Old 07-28-2015, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

9th and 10th grade are really just "middle school 2.0" but 11th and 12th graders are much more focused and calm. When I interviewed for a high school position from middle school, the principal liked my middle school experience and liked that I said I would incorporate and adapt middle school strategies to the high school. Middle school strategies are often more student centered and my interviewer liked that. Good luck!!
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

newteacher9

Do it!
Old 08-07-2015, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a lot of teachers at my school who came from middle schools. I think principals see you as having great experience with classroom management because freshmen can be super tough to deal with, as I'm sure middle school students are.

I had honors freshmen and I absolutely adored them. They were mature, wanted to learn, and actually cared about my class. Non honors freshmen tend to not care about grades, especially because many of them don't realize how credits work and they don't understand that they will have to repeat the class if they fail it.

Sophomores are still immature but because they're no longer freshmen, they can be a little arrogant because they think they're the big man on campus for finally not being the youngest anymore. Some people LOVE teaching sophomores, but they're not for me.

JUNIORS. I LOVE JUNIORS. They're typically much more mature and can discuss more intelligently. I can focus more on content rather than grammar with their writing. I've had tough juniors who have attitudes or behavior issues, but generally they've always been sweethearts for me.

I love seniors too. They're very relaxed because they're just ready to move on and get out of high school, but if you make the class interesting they're really awesome.

I don't know if I actually answered your question or just rambled on about how much I love teaching high school, but I hope this helps.

newteacher9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stupidbaker

Old 10-26-2015, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I could be stupid, but I think maybe it is the middle school teacher's mentality to dumb down the information at the high school level. I have taught 9th grade in good schools and bad schools. In good schools the 9th graders are well behaved and learn a lot. In one high school we had one teacher that came up from a middle school and he spent most of the time taking the students on long trips, seemed to always be talking with the students rather than learning, and I wonder if it just contributed to a lot of global warming.
Stupidbaker is offline   Reply With Quote