Fifth Grade

5th Grade Post-a-thon!

>

calla lily

5th Grade Post-a-thon!
Old 09-17-2016, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi 5th Grade teachers!

I hope you are having a great start to the year. Let's share some great ideas with each other!

Quote:
What is something you teach every year in 5th grade that you particularly look forward to and why?

calla lily is offline   Reply With Quote

calla lily

Class Promise
Old 09-17-2016, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Each year we write a class promise. The students watch Horton Hatches an Egg then we generate a list of collective promises to each other. We review throughout the year. The children take it seriously and I use it as a reminder whenever my students start to fall apart right before and after breaks.

GiantSubs

I look forward to Where the Red Fern Grows
Old 09-17-2016, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's my only whole group novel, and we listen to it while we read. The narrator on the audio book is fantastic, and I love watching the kids take such joy in a classic novel that doesn't have all the action of today's books - it's just a simple story. My favorite part is watching them cry at the end when the dogs die - I like to see that they get emotionally invested in the book. For my non readers, it helps them understand that reading should take you to another place, and it's okay to get lost in a story.
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

calla lily

Where the Red Fern Grows
Old 09-17-2016, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I imagine there are a lot of tears shed. Do you all watch the movie? How cool would it be to do the book at the beginning of the year and movie at the end?

Gromit

Old 09-17-2016, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Human reproduction - the students provide endless hilarious anecdotes with their reaction to the topic.

Shakespeare - the students start out intimidated and, by the end, they're performing scenes and understanding the language. We do a comedy because they're easier for young students, and we abridge the more risqué bits, but it's "real Shakespeare."

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

GiantSubs - Red Fern
Old 09-17-2016, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Which audiobook version do you have? I'd love to include that as a read aloud, but I wouldn't be able to make it through the story reading it myself.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

Gromit
Old 09-17-2016, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have one I bought on Audible. It's narrated by Anthony Heald, and he is fantastic!
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 09-17-2016, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do a poetry/ figurative language unit and end it with a poetry cafe. Tablecloths,fake candles, spotlight, mic system, jazz music in the background. Very cool activity for a winter day.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 09-17-2016, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The American Revolution. I could teach it all year if the standards allowed. I just love everything about it!
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 09-17-2016, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Do you have a couple of favorite activities for the Revolution. I teach it and am always on the look out for something different to do. Thanks!

Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Czechgirl

5th grade
Old 09-17-2016, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I buy between $100 to $300 books every month to add to my classroom library. I teach students who live in poverty and aren't use to being surrounded by books. I give this huge book talk once a month with the books I buy. I love to watch the students' excitement over the new books being added to our library.

Last edited by Czechgirl; 09-18-2016 at 08:32 AM..
Czechgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

I love teaching
Old 09-17-2016, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Order of operations. The kids really get into multiple brackets and algebraic looking equations. I write crazy long problems and they get so excited when they get them right. We also make a movie or other way to explain the steps.

I only teach math.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Civil War
Old 09-17-2016, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Although I retired in June, I loved teaching about the Civil War. I was able to bring letters my great-great grandfather wrote to his wife about his time in the war as it was happening. The letters are 153 years old. The kids are so engrossed in viewing and "seeing" authentic artifacts.
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SoCalTeach

Although this is my first year...
Old 09-17-2016, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am looking forward to doing a novel study of the book "Wonder" with my class. I was able to get 65 hard-cover copies through generous donations to donorschoose.org! (I teach departmentalized English and History).

Last edited by SoCalTeach; 09-17-2016 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Spelling errors
SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Dacota

Old 09-17-2016, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I especially love doing the M and M Taxation Without Representation simulation!! So much fun and SO much learning going on! It really does give the students a little perspective into why the Colonists were so upset about taxes being levied on them when they had had no say in their creation. I always finish up the activity with a reflection point of view writing in which they can choose either to be a Loyalist or a Patriot colonist.

http://youngteacherlove.com/role-pla...an-revolution/

Last time, I changed it up and created a census type " form where the student colonists answered questions like...favorite sports team, favorite color, state they were born in, birthday month, age, etc. The King and his two Parliament members filled out a form together, deciding what answers would be taxed. It added a little more of a twist to it, and worked well. Simple props also add a lot. Any kind of candy or cereal could be used for the money, or even play money could be used.
Dacota is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Geography
Old 09-17-2016, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am teaching social studies for the first time in many years, and we kicked off our study of geography with a Google Maps activity. Since the NFL season just started, the students used Google Maps to find latitude and longitude of all the NFL teams in the country. They had a blast and loved switching to the photo view so they could actually see the stadiums!
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Firebelly

Photosynthesis
Old 09-17-2016, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

After trying different approaches to teaching photsynthesis to my students, I tried writing a play in which the main characters were the chloroplast, sunlight, water, carbon dioxide, sugar, and oxygen. They all meet in a plant cell to do their thing.

It has become a yearly event and over the course of two days all classes in the building watch it as well as parents who come in. I teach three sections of fifth grade, so I have six different casts presenting. That way more students memorize the parts and know the script and process forwards and backwards!
Firebelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Lionpaws

Atom Models and Element Baseball Cards
Old 09-17-2016, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We study the structure of the atom and reading the Periodic Table. Students choose and research an element from the Periodic Table. They learn how to read the Periodic Table to find much of the required information, but they also have to access encyclopedias, books, and Internet sites. They fill out the back of a 5 X 7 card stock paper with statistics about their chosen element. Atomic mass, number of protons, neutrons, and electrons, family on the Periodic Table, common compounds, interesting facts, color, phase at room temp., boiling and melting points, etc. On the front is an illustration with something that contains that element, the name of the element, and its symbol. They create a 3-D model of the atom for that element with the correct number of particles and correct number of shells and electron placement. They present their model and card to the class. We hang them from the ceiling, and our room looks amazing with all of the unique and creative expressions of their research.
Lionpaws is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Colonial Times
Old 09-17-2016, 09:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I'm new to 5th this year, but I am excited that they do a Colonial Times event with the 5th-grade students in the gym for a few hours. One of the high school classes comes over to help as well. All 5th-grade teachers do two activities with students. My two will be making butter in a mason jar and dipped candles. It's coming up and I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping to get some other great ideas here too.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

bernard1

growth mindset
Old 09-18-2016, 03:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

This year I have started teaching Growth mindset lessons, and the kids are loving it!!!! I am looking forward to teaching this throughout the year. Students are realizing their brains are growing and growing and they can "train" their brains. One of my students had a difficult time with a math concept and said "Math just isn't my thing. I am not a math person." I replied, "you have to train your brain and let it grow!" and low and behold it clicked that day in math ) She was so excited!!!

I am using a great resource from TPT and other free materials I found online.
bernard1 is offline   Reply With Quote

nette25

Biz Town
Old 09-18-2016, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I'm new to 5th this year but will be participating in a JA program where the students learn about running a town and then have the opportunity to do just that for the day. From everything I've heard this is something the kids really enjoy every year. Looking forward to it!
nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieG04

So much fun!
Old 09-18-2016, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

This is only my second year in 5th grade, but I love all the ideas everyone has shared! I really enjoy our social studies curriculum (and being able to bring my DH in after we study the Civil War is fun--he brings his reenactor gear).

I'm working toward a truly focused vocabulary study of Latin roots to bolster student comprehension, but that's a work in progress!
JulieG04 is offline   Reply With Quote

LMNTREE

Solid Figures
Old 09-18-2016, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I love teaching solid figures to my students because I have them make different 3-D figures using gumdrops and toothpicks. Not only is it a fun activity (especially for students who have never tried a gumdrop!), but the hands-on aspect is great for students to actually touch the vertices and edges in order to gain a concrete understanding. I've also heard of teachers doing this activity with mini marshmallows instead of gumdrops.
LMNTREE is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowdaisies

Old 09-18-2016, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

We do a Colonial Day, too, which I love. We make cornhusk dolls, make and eat johnny cakes, write with quills and ink, and play colonial games (marbles, jacks, cats cradle). It's so fun.

We are doing a Bad Wolf Press play this fall. I've done their American Revolution play for the last 2 years, but this year we're doing the 13 Colonies play. I love doing their plays with students!

I got a couple nice microphones through Donors Choose this summer, and our first writing unit is going to be podcast memoirs. I'm super excited about that.
yellowdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

calla lily

Chester Comix (yes, comix)
Old 09-18-2016, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I love all of the Chester Comix but my favorite one is the Tax Hunter. The main character is a Tax Hunter based on the Crocodile Hunter. My students are able to understand different kinds of taxes and government services that are provided through these taxes.

All of the Chester Comix are full of interesting facts and highly engaging for my students. I recommend the PDFs or actual comic book over the iPad app.

3boys:)

Save Fred
Old 09-18-2016, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I teach math and science. I look toward to the first week lesson-Save Fred! They have to get Fred (gummy worm) into the lifesaver (gummy) that's is on top of the boat (cup), using only the materials they have. They can't touch Fred or the gummy with their hands. They work in pairs trying to figure it out. It's a great teamwork activity and the kids love it.
3boys:) is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 09-18-2016, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I am also in my second year. I really enjoy most of the science/social studies content. I'm just glad to be teaching actual content, rather than the more generic (but important) things like communities and helpers.

But I do love social studies the best...native americans, explorers, colonies, American Revolution!
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

cptjway

Civil War
Old 09-18-2016, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I enjoy the Civil War unit, because we do a Civil War simulation, and the students are formed into armies. The choose roles and make decisions, and the roll of the dice determines what happens to each unit. The best part is when they write in their soldier journal after each "adventure".

For reading, my favorite unit is the one on Prejudice. We read different books about groups of people who have suffered discrimination. We have some amazing discussions.
cptjway is offline   Reply With Quote

philliesfan67

5th Grade
Old 09-18-2016, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Hi Everyone,

This is my first year teaching 5th grade. I'll be only teaching an advanced math class with 13 students. I also teach 6th grade math and S.S. I am looking forward to this challenge and I have already gotten some great ideas. I will be using interactive notebooks with this group. I've used them in previous grades so I am excited to introduce them to my 5th graders.
philliesfan67 is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

Wax Museum!
Old 09-18-2016, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I teach reading/ELA and Science.

Every year we have our 5th graders read a biography, write a report, create a poster and button, write a speech and memorize the speech, and create a costume for a famous person. They then have to present it to the class and the next day we have the Wax Museum where the community is invited to meet the "wax" figures and have them "come to life"! So much fun. It is a month long process but so worthwhile!

Love this thread! So many great ideas!
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

Luvetc3

GiantSubs
Old 09-18-2016, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Your post is what I would've posted word for word! I love my Red Fern unit. Some years, I can even find horehound candy and share it with them. They usually hate it, but it gets them to another level of visualizing and getting nto the book.
Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Inspire

Ditto on Growthminset
Old 09-18-2016, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I too am teaching it this year! Great results so far! I'm hoping for great results in math because of it.

Also, reading Wonder for the 4th year! Love it!
Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

1st year
Old 09-18-2016, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

but looking forward to doing the US States and capitals...
IF I ever can get time to get it started!!!
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 09-19-2016, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

In Science - I love to teach the kids how to read a dichotomous key. Then we do an activity where they have to figure out ordinary classroom objects and what their 'science' name is by using a dichotomous key. The kids are always so engaged!
I also love to do a project in social studies on using a real map. Each pair gets a state map and has a list of questions they have to answer using a map. They learn about the map key, compass rose, using the scale, finding major cities. I know everyone owns a gps anymore - but I still love a good map every now and then! They enjoy it because it's like a big puzzle for them.
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetocruise

Poetry
Old 09-19-2016, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I am retired now, but I loved teaching a unit on poetry and some of the different forms of poetry. I had the students create a Poetry Journal with construction paper for a cover and notebook paper inside. They made a Table of Contents with page numbers for the poetry we studied. I would print off copies of each type we studied or have them copy short poems of each type into the journals. Then after learning about and taking notes on each type (1 every couple of days) they would write their own poems. It was a long unit (about 6 weeks), but the kids actually loved it. They seemed to always find at least one type of poetry they liked.
lovetocruise is offline   Reply With Quote

calla lily

40 Book Challenge
Old 09-19-2016, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Creating a community of readers is my number goal for my readers. I love implementing Donalyn Miller's 40 book challenge as a part of my overall reading program. All students are given at least 20 minutes of read to self time each day. I will eventually get my kids to read 30 minutes. Book recommendations, book reviews, reading conferences, and weekly letters are ways students communicate with each other and me.

GoodTimzRoll

Civil Rights
Old 09-20-2016, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I love introducing biographies to my fifth grade students and teaching them about the Civil Rights Movement.
GoodTimzRoll is offline   Reply With Quote

thruachild'sI

Social Studies
Old 09-20-2016, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Which is really surprising because I hated Social Studies growing up, but I love to find new ideas and teach the kids with lots of hands on experiences. My favorite unit is the American Revolution.
thruachild'sI is offline   Reply With Quote

MsOC

Dear America as mentor text
Old 09-20-2016, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I live my dear America book report ANC mentor text for historical fiction. Students read one of the books in the series, then create a PowerPoint with photos from the time period.
Then they research a time in American history and write a fictional diary. It really helps teach POVERTY.
MsOC is offline   Reply With Quote

jml122

Wonder and Colonial Times
Old 09-20-2016, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I love teaching Wonder. There are so many great lessons from this one book. I also love teaching about colonial times. I do colonial days every year and it is so much fun for the parents and the kids.
jml122 is offline   Reply With Quote

bonteach

Old 09-21-2016, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

We work on wetlands/ecosystems in science. We take two fieldtrips to our local marsh. One day we work in the lab and check water samples to see how healthy our marsh is, and the other day we go in canoes. I love these days! The kids are so engaged and really enjoy it.
bonteach is offline   Reply With Quote

calla lily

Global Read Aloud
Old 09-21-2016, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I love reading aloud everday but there's something special about participating in this Global event. This year we are reading Pax and using Twitter to connect with other classrooms.

prestolj

book whisperer
Old 10-15-2016, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

To calla lilly:
This book changed my views about reading class...I wish I could ditch the reading series! Any thoughts on how to do both? Such conflicting philosophies!

Last edited by prestolj; 10-15-2016 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: name on it
prestolj is offline   Reply With Quote

calla lily

I still have small group reading because it's
Old 10-15-2016, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

mandated. I set aside time everyday for everyone one to do self selected reading. This is when I do reading conferences. My students do a weekly letter as one of their rotations. It isn't perfect but I love the excitement my kids have for reading.
bryanswife
Old 04-26-2017, 10:51 AM
This message has been deleted by bryanswife.