Help

BusyBoard

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

>

Nicki1127

Wonder by R.J. Palacio
Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Who has read the book Wonder?? I have read it is better for older kids and I have read that younger kids should read it too. Is is too complex to read aloud to my third graders??

Nicki1127 is offline   Reply With Quote

smithf1

Wonder
Old 11-30-2012, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have read the book and it may be a little too complex for third graders. The characters are about 12 years old and the theme includes bullying, dealing with death and how the main character deals with his facial disfigurement.

I will be reading it to my 5th graders, but wouldn't consider reading aloud to a younger class.
smithf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

I agree
Old 11-30-2012, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I read it and loved it. It is a better fit for a 5th or 6th grade read aloud.
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

nette25

The main character
Old 11-30-2012, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

in the story is a 10 year old boy with facial deformities going to school for the first time. I wouldn't read it to anyone younger than 5th grade. My 6th graders however loved it!
nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote

mimi6

Wonder
Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I noticed it for the first time in Time for Kids this week...I hope to read it soon....middle school.

mimi6 is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

Reading it right now
Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

to my fifth graders. I think a lot of it is too mature for younger kids.
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

lynnylubner

Minority here
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think that it is appropriate for a 3rd grade read aloud, assuming you allow ample time for discussion.
I think third graders can relate to feeling different, or singling out others who are different.
Read it yourself and then determine if you think you would like to read it to your third graders.
lynnylubner is offline   Reply With Quote

Nicki1127

Old 12-02-2012, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have started reading it to my class, and they absolutely LOVE it. Not too far in yet though. I read multiple places online that it was appropriate for ages 9-12, so thought I'd give it a try. So far so good and they cannot get enough.
Nicki1127 is offline   Reply With Quote

FLBeachgirl

I have...
Old 06-21-2017, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

read it to my third graders for the past two years. And yes, while it may be true that they don't always pick on some of the elements in the book, my students loved it and they could relate to so much of it. I just made sure that I left time for discussion about it.

I definitely plan to continue reading it to my third graders.
Jen
FLBeachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 06-21-2017, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Maybe check with the other teachers in your school to see if they are reading it in the upper grades. At my school, the entire 5th grade does a novel study on it and it would be a shame to have a 3rd grade class read it already. I know that reading a book more than once is great too, but honestly, I would be upset if a different grade level read that particular book. I know that kids of all ages would love the story, but sometimes that can't be the only factor in why you would choose to read a book to your class.

StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 06-21-2017, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If my 2nd graders can handle it, I'm sure your 3rd graders can. I used it to discuss bullying and kindness. We also read Auggie and Me. Now, we did not do either book as a reading lesson. It was a true read aloud. I read to my class every afternoon for the pure joy of it. Now what I did to make it successful was:

1. Take it slow. Stopping any time anyone had any questions comments or a bewildered look on their face.

2. A lot of discussion. Those times when we had to stop, we delved into whatever made us stop.

3. Only one "chapter" a day. This let us take our time and let them have a chance to think and for things to sink in.

Now as to older grades doing it, this concept of "ownership" really bugs me. I'm not going to deny my students a great learning opportunity because they might read the book later in an upper grade. This year I had a couple of kids with some real struggles, now their differences were not physical like Auggie's, but they were pretty significant and we were able to connect the need to be kind to everyone through this book without naming names or singling students out. Now, I will grant that there are two factors that make me take this stance:

1. Our upper grades are constantly changing their novel selections. If I stayed away from what they read, then my students would never be exposed to any novels. Not to mention, having a book read to you at 7 or 8 and reading it with your class and doing an in depth study at 10 or 11 are completely different things. Also I'm reading the book in my own family in anticipation of the upcoming movie (and yes we are discussing it and doing activities), should I not just because the kiddos teachers may decide to read it in class in a year or two. I don't think so.

2. My own experience with this topic. My very first year I had a teacher in the next grade level get mad at me and make a huge deal about how I couldn't start the year with a particular book because her grade level read that book at the beginning of the year, and my students would ruin it for everyone else the following year. Problem being the book was in my adoption and the whole first two weeks of the adoption revolved around the book. We were scheduled for multiple readings of it (PK, picture book, therefore the multiple readings). It was also in her (K) adoption with different activities, but that doesn't change the fact that it was also in mine. I wasn't reading the book to ruin her day, or because I loved the book (It's actually one of my least favorites), or because the kids would love the story. I was reading it because as a first year teacher, I followed the adoption very closely. I didn't yet have the comfort level to improvise.

Sorry for the tangent, but in short no one should "own" a book. So OP, if you want to do the book then yes, with proper accomodations, your kids can probably handle it.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote