Help

BusyBoard

1:1 Classroom

>

newbieteach

1:1 Classroom
Old 07-30-2017, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone have a 1:1 Classroom? Our school is getting chromebooks for each student in 5th grade this year. I am the technology resource teacher. I'm trying to get the teachers prepared but I've never had the chance to participate in 1:1.

If you have, do you have any tips? Any good resources?

Thanks!!

newbieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 07-30-2017, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My best tip is to just play around with it. The more you play, the more the kids play, the better they will be at navigating the chrome books. They will also realize that there are very few ways for them to actually break the chrome books and pushing buttons won't do it (for the most part.) The more they use them, the more you trust that they can use them, the more easy problem solving and tech solutions will come to them.

As for sites I use with my 5th graders, the Google suite is a game changer. Everything can be done on Docs, Slides (my personal go-to), Forms, Drawing....there is just SO much collaboration and feedback to be had with the suite. Again, play around with it. You will be amazed at what they can do.

I also love thinglink.com (for making interactive reports) and picktochart.com (for making infographics).
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 07-30-2017, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm also going 1:1 this year in 6th so I'll be following this thread. I'm off to check out the sites suggested by StephR!
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieG04

Google Classroom!
Old 07-30-2017, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, really, everything in the Google Apps for Education suite. Our district has done a lot for us over the past few years, so I'll rattle off some random things that come to mind:

* Yes, definitely have teachers discuss Chromebook rules (never on the floor, power off at end of day to preserve battery --we charge at school, no food/ drink over keyboard, changing wallpaper/profile monthly or quarterly --if at all, consequences for failure to follow the rules, etc.)

*If you have time to do it before back to school, I highly recommend going through the modules for Google Certified Educator Level 1/Level 2, even if you don't take the certification exam. I do recommend taking the exam, but the training is very helpful!

https://edutrainingcenter.withgoogle...ication_level1

* My hero is Eric Curts at controlaltachieve.com --check out his blog!

*And seriously, Google Docs, Sheets, Forms, Slides, Drawings, etc. are awesome, but Classroom lets you bring it all together as a teacher.

Good luck, and enjoy!
JulieG04 is offline   Reply With Quote

newbieteach

Old 07-30-2017, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks! We are definitely using Google Classroom. I'm training the teachers right now. I've also used Thinglink. It's awesome! I'll look up the other for sure!

eagles23

Old 07-30-2017, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We are changing from 1:1 iPads to ChromeBooks. I am going for training tomorrow because this will all be new. I was just feeling like I was using my iPads efficiently! Thanks for the question and all the suggestions!
eagles23 is online now   Reply With Quote

newbieteach

Old 07-31-2017, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Good luck at the training, Eagles. Personally I think you can do so much more with chromebooks. So I think you will like the switch. Chromebooks are very user friendly for kids. : )

Inspire

Just got a set last year.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Love it! Use Googleclassroom - plan on digital notebooks in Reading and Soc.Studies. Got some how to and webinar from TPT - already done for you and editable -

I used Digital Readworks for reading response - comprehension etc. so easy to check - informational text- paired texts and more love it!

Hope to mostly go paperless except for math.....this year.....
Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote