Help

The VENT

Scared to go to work...

>

teacher0729

Scared to go to work...
Old 02-25-2018, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

With all the shootings and talk about guns in the news, I am up at 10:15 feeling anxious about going to school tomorrow. We had a lockdown drill last week and it has been freaking me out to say the least. I love my job but at the moment, I’m feeling scared to be in the physical school and starting to think about what else I could do with my teaching degree. This is only my second year teaching. I’m hoping this feeling will pass when the news and talk of shootings settles down. I know I’m being a little irrational because the chance is low but I can’t get it out of my head. Is anyone else feeling this way? I wish it would be summer already...

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It does cross my mind and I find myself looking out the window of my classroom frequently.

However I donít dwell on it. I know it is out of my control and what will be, will be.

I also am a firm believer in when itís my time to go, itís my time to go. I also know I will lay my life down for my students.

All that to say that I have thought a lot about it but I am not scared like you seem to be. We are all different and I hope your fears lessen.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

bonteach

Old 02-26-2018, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am sorry youíre feeling that way. I hope you are able to find a way to cope with your feelings.

Keep talking about them here, talk to colleagues if you are comfortable doing so, and take care of yourself.
bonteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

stop racing thoughts
Old 02-26-2018, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Don't let fear get the better of you. Don't let these acts of terrorism stop you. Put those feelings aside. Fight.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 02-26-2018, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Try your best to not let fear overwhelm.

I also believe that when it's my time to go, it's my time to go. I travel frequently both domestically and internationally. I've been to some places where I didn't feel safe. Those times make me realize how I take safety for granted. For the most part, the upper sections of North America are much safer than other parts of the world.

When I had to convince someone to fly on a plane, I pulled up a flight tracking website so she could see how many planes were in the skies at that moment. Planes all over the place all day long and yet rarely are there crashes. For me, I have to use that idea when thinking of school shootings. Could it happen in my district? Sure. The likelihood though........

HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 02-26-2018, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am sorry you are feeling scared. If your fear continues, please seek out someone to talk to who can help you.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

SpedinTx

Old 02-26-2018, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Don't just be afraid , take action. Do something. Write your local and federal representatives. Take part in the April 20 Action Against School Violence Day.

If every teacher across the United States marches, writes, holds ralleys, it would help.

Speak out for gun control, trained officers in the schools, trained counselors who are there to actually counsel students instead of just career counseling. Fight to get mental health care free for all of our students.
SpedinTx is offline   Reply With Quote

Alaska35

You
Old 02-27-2018, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

are not alone with your thoughts and feelings of anxiousness about going to school. I am retired now, but I felt much the same way that you described about yourself after the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary. All of the school shootings bothered me a great deal.

About a year after Sandy Hook, my school district held the ALICE training workshop. It didn’t relieve my anxieties completely, but it certainly helped. They taught us practical things that could be done immediately. I think that having a plan that made sense to me helped alleviate a lot of anxiousness. I also talked with my door buddy because she and I both felt much the same way about feeling unsafe at school.

I suggest that you do as another poster recommended and talk with the powers that be in your school district and see if your district can receive the ALICE training. I also suggest that you talk with someone concerning your fears. I hope this helps you.

Last edited by Alaska35; 02-27-2018 at 10:05 AM..
Alaska35 is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 02-27-2018, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I completely understand that news of a school shooting is very upsetting. At the same time though, I'm inclined to think in terms of statistics.

Most Americans have a 1 in 6 lifetime odds of dying of heart disease, a 1 in 108 chance of dying in a motor vehicle accident ...
and a 1 in 11,125 chance of dying in a mass shooting (not even just school shootings).
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote