I may be done...

>

sometimesub

sometimesub

I may be done...
Old 05-10-2019, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

...with this school.

The day had a pretty inauspicious start when the school receptionist, who is supposed to be there 10 minutes before me and who always always cuts it right down to the wire, passed me in a no passing zone on the way there. I was doing 60 in a 55 mph zone so I wasn't crawling. He nearly had a head-on.

When I got there, the entire staff was looking at the sub board in dismay because there were about 12 people out and only 2 subs listed to cover classes. I was listed for a split day: 2nd in the morning and 4th in the afternoon. I had gotten to the room, found the morning's plans and read over them and was in the process of finding everything in the room (emergency folder, calendar, etc.) when one of the other 2nd grade teachers came in and said, "So, you're leaving us and going to kindergarten?" To which I replied, "Really? News to me." But when I went back to the sub board, sure enough they had moved to kindergarten for the entire day. Evidently the sub who was supposed to cover that class started throwing up on the way in. After having that class, I understand why. Of course, it didn't occur to anybody that maybe they should tell ME first.

So, by the time I found a key and got into that classroom, I had 15 minutes in which to read 21 pages of information: 5 pages of general procedures and 3 lessons totalling 16 pages. Naturally, I didn't have a special until the end of the day. Another teacher had grabbed me during morning meeting to inform me that students had money for snacks that were being sold by her class so I needed to collect the money and write down what they wanted and she would be around to collect it. Of course, it took a full 15 minutes to take the orders, while students who didn't have money became more and more unruly, and then....SURPRISE! Nobody ever came to collect the order. I finally asked my buddy teacher and sent the order via e-mail. Then the art teacher came by, for no apparent reason, and gave me a 10 minute lecture on how difficult the class was and told me a bunch of stuff that I already knew about who to call if need be. Meanwhile, the entire class was becoming entirely out of control while she lectured me but didn't actually intervene at all.

This was all in the first 45 minutes of the day. Long story short, it went from bad to worse. I had three different people in the room: the principal, the dean of students and the recovery room supervisor and it quickly became obvious that nobody could get these kids to do anything. I gave the principal an ultimatum that one of the students (the one who was jabbing sharp pencils into people's faces and throwing chairs around) had to be taken out of the room or I wasn't coming back.

I've put up with a lot from this district, and had other really difficult days, but I just don't know if I can go through another day like this one. And, as always, it's not the out-of-control kids I'm mad at. It's the principal who shifted my assignment too late for me to prep adequately. It's the teacher who made me deal with concession fundraising during the school day. It's the art teacher who I guess was well-intentioned but maybe a little crazy. It's the recovery room supervisor who doesn't ever do anything except feel sorry for ill-behaved kids, give them a treat and send them back even worse than when they left. *sigh*

mooba1

Nope, nope, nope
Old 05-10-2019, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Were I you, I’d put this school in my rear view mirror, for all the reasons stated in your last paragraph. It’s no surprise the intended sub for the K class started puking on the way to the school. So sorry you had such a rough day.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 05-10-2019, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe you can take Monday off and have a 3 day weekend? Sounds like one of those days when you count the minutes until you go home.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Yikes...
Old 05-11-2019, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Run away (don't walk) from this school of incompetence on steroids.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Nightmare school
Old 05-11-2019, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is most likely why there were only two subs available when about a dozen were actually needed! Run in the opposite direction, and don't look back.

Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

been there
Old 05-11-2019, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yep...I've noticed that too. Some schools are a nightmare for a sub, and then they wonder why they don't get good subs or enough subs? It's a vicious cycle.

For some reason, the office secretary is usually the first indicator. If the secretary always arrives late or last minute and has a lousy attitude, it's a bad sign from the start.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemEd

So sorry...
Old 05-11-2019, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

...that you had to endure such a dreadful situation. I'm glad that you have decided to block this school. we need to take care of ourselves, and not putting up with unreasonable situations is essential to that.

I hope that the rest of the school year goes better for you.
ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Tori58
Old 05-11-2019, 11:35 AM
This message has been deleted by Tori58.

Subtastic

Old 05-11-2019, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Reminds me of a middle school I used to go to. One Secretary! She would keep us waiting so long we only had 10 minutes before the kids arrived.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 05-14-2019, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was also the victim of a ruse perpetrated by a school to get me into a Kindergarten class from hell.

My favorite jobs are RSP, but at this school, instead of a lesson plan, the note in the RSP class read to report to Kindergarten.

Turns out there was no sub in Kindergarten, so I had to take the class, not merely to just help out.

I covered two groups of Kinders that rotate, and both were awful.

I am sure this was planned to get the Kinder teacher a day off since otherwise no one would take the class.

Recently the same RSP job came up on AESOP for three days, once a week for three weeks.

I am glad I knew what to expect, or I would have had been a victim three times. and would have had to ask the sub coordinator to cancel me after the first day, since we cannot cancel a multiple day job once we start it.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

NJSubteacher

Old 05-15-2019, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I know some subs at my district who tell the Principal upfront that if they are switched, then they are just walking out. It works for them because the school doesnt want to lose the few subs they have.

NJSubteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Lenment

Lenment

Horrible
Old 05-15-2019, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had that experience.I was moved around. They kept changing my schedule. I had two minutes to prepare. Lesson plans that were 20 pages long. The class had confusing group rotations. Waiting a long time in the office too long before
discovering I had some kind of morning yard duty. It was hell.