Help

ARCHIVE

Transgender teacher

>

groman

Transgender teacher
Old 04-11-2008, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There is a teacher at the school I work at that is planning to have a sex change. She is going to be taking a year off to substitute at other schools and come back the 09/10 school year back to her old position. I am thinking about taking her position for the year that she/he is out. I talked to my principal, who is also leaving after this school year, regarding my current position. He is going to put in writing that if this other teacher comes back, I will be assured my old position. My dilemma is this: If I don't take the position, and someone else does, and the old teacher decides not to come back that other person will get grade seniority. I have been teaching 3rd grade for four years and I love it, but by taking this position I might get grade seniority for 5th grade.
We are having a meeting at our school to discuss the effect of this teacher returning to school. Although, the school board has already approved her/his return. I actually think that itís wrong for her/him to return since many students know her as a woman. But don't think I can speak up at the meeting, because people will think I am just criticizing her because I want the position.
Please help.

groman is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 04-11-2008, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you want the position, ask for it KNOWING he will come back in 09. He should have the right to change his sex and keep his job IMHO, but legally, there may not be a reason he has to be rehired... depending on the anti-discrimination laws in your state. The new principal could decide not to follow what the old principal promised.

I also think it's going to be fine for the kids. They will remember, but if he is a well liked and good teacher, they will appreciate him as a teacher, not as someone who has had a sex change.

You can take the position for a year, and you will be guaranteed a position again the following year, right??? If you go back to 3rd grade it won't be the end of the world... aside from which another teacher could leave, or this teacher could decide to teach somewhere else.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

scraphappy

Old 04-11-2008, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Honestly, I think it is a fine line and not one I would want to speak my opinions on within the school forum. It is a sensitive subject and one I am sure parents will not be eager to discuss with their children. Yet, it is life and if this person is a good teacher then that's all that should matter. I know that in reality there is much more to it, but that is all that should matter.

I'm not sure why your school would hold a meeting to discuss the effects of this person's return if she is not scheduled to return until 2009. It is possible that she will request a transfer or leave the district to make an easier transition into the new life. I think that is a bridge best crossed as needed. I certainly don't think anyone has the right to discuss one's personal life at a faculty meeting. It sounds like a potential lawsuit waiting to happen.

If you want the job go for it. You never know what will happen and it seems like your bases are covered if the teacher comes back. I would however, keep my mouth shut at that meeting and certainly not offer my opinion on another person's personal life.

There are many children who question their own sexuality at a very early age and it is a disservice to them for the faculty to be anything but encouraging to this teacher as they go through this.
scraphappy is offline   Reply With Quote