Has anyone brought drums/rhythm into the classroom? Seeking ideas. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Has anyone brought drums/rhythm into the classroom? Seeking ideas.

>

Rebecca P

Rebecca P

Has anyone brought drums/rhythm into the classroom? Seeking ideas.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am working with teachers on the concept of incorporating drum/drum circles/rhythm into their elementary classrooms. (Not music classrooms, just general classrooms.) Has anyone done this successfully? My question is this: How do you manage noise levels, or work with neighboring classrooms to accommodate for drumming-related noise? Thanks.

jov

Old 06-23-2019, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I tap a rhythm on a hand drum to get the kids' attention and they clap following my pattern until everyone has stopped what they're doing and joined in. I think kids drumming would be far too disturbing to other classes. I know the music teacher does drumming with the kids, but her room is in the basement, far away from the classrooms.
jov is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I expect you know about
Old 07-17-2019, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Orff's work with children, but there are lesson plans that incorporate his ideas on the internet, Orff+rhythm finds several.

I've used clapping out syllables of children's names to create beginning of the year name learning activities. Clap-snap or clap-slap legs is good for stressed and unstressed syllables, especially with the wonderful variety of names in classrooms.

Rhythm can also be used in chants for spelling words, on-sets and rimes do well there. Example: slap legs, say c; clap hands twice for a-t---- slap legs say b; clap hands twice say a-t, etc.

Using strongly rhythmic poetry can be incorporated, Green Eggs and Ham springs to mind. Being constantly Iambic Pentameter-ed can get old, though.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote