Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Glasses online with tough prescription

>

readandweep

Glasses online with tough prescription
Old 08-02-2019, 07:14 AM

I am looking to getting a new set of frames in the sorta near future.

My prescription is very strong and have not been able to get glasses in an hour for 20 years. It has slowed down to changing very little between appointments though.

Dry eyes prevent me from doing lasik eye surgery at this time. Same with contacts.

Anyway, has anybody ordered frames online (like Warby Parker) with a tough prescription? Can you get things like lighter lenses, sanding the edges of lenses and glare protection? Are the frames durable?

TIA

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 08-02-2019, 07:20 AM

I haven't done this, but I'm curious because the prices look so good. So I'll be interested to see what you hear back. One other question: How do you get mail-order glasses fitted to your face? Will a local optical company do adjustments on glasses they didn't sell? Usually those adjustments are free; do they charge a fee?
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-02-2019, 07:24 AM

I have used Zenni Optical in the past. My local optometrist will fix the fit of the glasses as needed, but I’ve ordered multiple times and only needed them adjusted once.

My prescription is pretty high so I add some of the extras you mentioned, it ups the price (of course), but is worth it.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Candiqueen

Old 08-02-2019, 07:31 AM

I did progressives online and they just werenít right.
Candiqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-02-2019, 08:07 AM

My prescription is a tough one. Severely nearsighted, need bifocals, astigmatism. I like lighter lenses with progressives, anti-reflective, and transitions. I get all of that from Zenni. Iíve not had any issues. Walmart optical has adjusted them when Iíve needed it.

Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

ABC

Warby Parker
Old 08-02-2019, 08:22 AM

Yes, I have a pair from Warby Parker.... and so do my brother and sister actually! I usually wear contacts during they day, though, so these are my at home glasses.

You pick five frames which they sent in the mail and then you could decide. If you didn't like any, send back and pick five more. I sent back them and chose four new ones along with the pair I really liked to just double check.

My prescription isn't super complicated except I do have one eye that is near sighted and one that is far (astigmatism issues) and they came out fine. (You just upload the prescription your eye doctor gives you.) The standard lenses are scratch resistant, etc., but I know you can add on "fancier" lenses with transitions etc. which of course ups the price. However, I don't believe you can get bifocals from them.

The frames so far have been fine and seem very similar in terms of durability from ones I have gotten from Lense Crafters. I thought I'd give it a try since about $100 with lenses is way better than what I've paid previously. As for fit, if you live near a store, of course that it complimentary, but if you don't you can get reimbursed for up to maybe $50? if you go somewhere else within a month. (I didn't get mine adjusted, they seemed fine.) Here is their FAQ page. Good luck!
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

experience with Zenni
Old 08-02-2019, 01:01 PM

DH and I buy all of our glasses from them. We've had good luck with very strong prescriptions and we have ordered a few upgrades/extras to help the glasses be lighter. Frames wear well and LAST!!!

You can always give their customer service a try if you need more specific answers.
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Costco
Old 08-02-2019, 09:41 PM

My Rx is like Ima Teacher - high high index, bifocals, astigmatisms, and the beginnings of cataracts, which puts me out of the running for LASIK surgery.

I ordered a pair of sunglasses online, canít remember from who right now, but no matter who I checked with - including all who are mentioned in this thread, I didnít find anything less than $475. $650 from the local optician.

2 years ago I went to Costco and BOY! Totally impressed. My glasses were $189 w insurance, my sunglasses were $290 without insurance. Great quality.

If you donít have a membership, find a friend who does. It doesnít matter if the person receiving the glasses has one (my adult special needs daughter gets hers thru my membership).
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote