Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

need a science project or activity

>

littlemiracle

need a science project or activity
Old 04-13-2008, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

hi, i need ideas for what to do for a science project or activity for my prek4 class. the children are all 4 or 5 years old. any ideas?

littlemiracle is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveElemInNY

Mudpies and Magnets
Old 04-13-2008, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi littlemiracle - I use the book Mudpies and Magnets with my preschoolers for science. I usually tweak the activities a little bit to reflect what my children are capable of, but a lot of the activities are really wonderful. You can get the book on amazon.com - there are two volumes of it. Do you want to teach them about anything specific having to do with science? Good luck!
-Sara
LoveElemInNY is offline   Reply With Quote

lizapest

Old 04-14-2008, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You can never go wrong with vinigar & baking soda.

Planting seeds in a ziplock bag is popular this time of year (then take the seelings and put them outside)
lizapest is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 04-14-2008, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use a glass gallon jar. Layer the jar with sand, black dirt, perilite and vermiculite. Add some nightcrawlers. You need to cover the jar in black paper. Each week, take the paper off and see how the worms have mixed up the layers.

Put ice cubes in a glass. Let it sit for awhile and ask the children to observe the condensation. With a hot frying pan, throw in some ice cubes. Talk about where they went. Throw in more ice cubes and put the lid on the frying pan. Introduce the terms steam, evaporation. Wipe up some droplets of water with paper towel. Hang up the towel so the children can observe it drying.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

achange

What a mess, but alot of Fun!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Objective: The students will explore diffrent textures from various ingredients.

Materials needed:
salt, shaveing cream, paint, glue, flour, constuction paper(long piece)

Steps: Place the children in groups(small)
Ask them questions about different textures Exp How does your hair feel? How does the table feel? Etc.

Already have the materials ready. The salt, flour, paint will be placed on a sectioned off paper foam plate. use different color paints

Pass out the construction paper allow them to put glue all over the construction paper. Monitor them. Then put the shaveing cream on top of the glue.

Allow them to mix the materials on the plate. The key is to allow everyone to mix them at the same time so that they can really see how the amount of salt, and flour you use will make you have a totally different texture.

I did this with my class and some of the children created butterflies, balls that sucked to their hands, volcanoes with red paint in the middle for the fire. It was an awesome activity!

achange is offline   Reply With Quote