The VENT

Beginning of the Year

>

learn

Beginning of the Year
Old 08-05-2019, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT,
Every year for the past 14 years, of course I have gotten better, but can't help feeling worthless when it comes to this time of year. The gossip starts as to who did you get in your class? Did you get any low kids, any behaviors, are you basically worthy of getting any of these? Are you smart enough to teach them, do you have classroom management etc etc.... They tell me other horrible things about the other teachers, but they come to ask me about my class list only to see whom they gave me. And then they of course tell me how amazing I am and that I have a very good class! I don't know what to believe but at the end of each first day for the past 14 years I come home feeling horrible...in which I know I ALLOW this but can't help it. Do you teachers out there feel the same or is it just me?

I always get 2 points away every year from a highly effective score. People do comment about my good classroom management but still am aware of how critical our TEACHERS can be in nit picking at everything. Well, just needed to get this out of me tonight before going in tomorrow.

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Hmmm.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure I understand.

It seems to me that you are saying that at your school, getting struggling kids or behaviorally challenged kids is a status symbol, and that the more you get, the better a teacher you are perceived to be.

Are you sure? Or are they just making sure you got your share? Most of the teachers I'm acquainted with are more concerned with having the classes balanced, not greedily grabbing all the low and behavior kids for themselves.

If they have bought into the idea that they're such good teachers because the principal explained that's why their classes are loaded, then just relax and enjoy your ideal classes.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 08-05-2019, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used to say- donít tell me about the kids . I donít want any preconceived opinions.
Enjoy your class. Donít let what they tell you make you view your kids differently. I truly believe that most kids will become what you expect, so expect them to be wonderful.
As for the evaluations, I think that some principals are afraid to give out highly effective ratings. Document everything. It has become somewhat a ďProve to me that your a good teacherĒ.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 08-05-2019, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sounds like you should try to tune out what others are saying and focus on your class and doing your thing. Donít let others make you feel inadequate. Their issues are their issues.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Water off a duck's back...
Old 08-05-2019, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Seriously. You're letting stupid things other people say affect you. Don't worry about what other people think of your list. Every child has a different relationship with every adult. I've had teachers tell me, "Oh, that kid's awful and his mother is crazy!" and I found him delightful and created a very strong working relationship with his mother. Don't let ANYONE put a damper on your enthusiasm for your class or your year to come. Teaching is hard enough without working yourself into a frenzy before you even get started. You will love your class. You are amazing. You can do hard things!

Kinderkr4zy

Old 08-05-2019, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I say, ignore them all and enjoy your good class.

Let people pat themselves on the back all the way into burnout.

Sit back and let your good class roast marshmallows off the flames of all that "superior teaching".
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

NBCoach

Old 08-06-2019, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Who is THEY?
NBCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 08-06-2019, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Who is THEY?
I was wondering that myself! I'm assuming your grade-level partners? Sounds like they're just fishing for info to gossip about. Please don't let the busybodies ruin your school year beginning with your kids!

As for your evaluations, 2 points away from highly effective is excellent. Several years ago, our principals and the whole city got in trouble for not being tough enough on teacher evals. Since then, nobody gets a perfect score and sometimes they have to search for some inane thing to knock it down a couple of points.

Tune out the gossipers and make friends with the positive people in your school.
jov is online now   Reply With Quote

learn

They...
Old 08-06-2019, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

meaning teachers in my grade level as well as other grade levels. The ladies are young...in their thirties. I know...have to get passed this quickly and let it roll off my back quick to be able to enjoy the kiddos.
learn is offline   Reply With Quote