Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Starting a new sport in high school

>

Sbkangas5

Starting a new sport in high school
Old 08-25-2019, 01:50 PM

My middle son decided he wants to try out for lacrosse this year. He's a sophomore and has never played. They are having evaluations this week, so his friend has been working with him a bit on using the lacrosse stick thing (can you tell I know nothing? ). He's a good athlete and a hockey player so he's in shape, knows a lot about being a defender and safe checking, and he has good hands. But I can tell he's a bit anxious about it (I would be, too!).

Just wondering if anyone else has a kid that started up a sport so late. How did it go?

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-25-2019, 01:51 PM

My son started cross country as a junior and did well. He wasn't any great athlete, but he enjoyed it and being part of the team.

Good luck to your son!!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 08-25-2019, 02:00 PM

I am so impressed with your son's courage in trying out for a sport in high school!!
Like Dr. Grace, my daughter tried out for cross-country in high school. She'd run a season of winter track in elementary school but hadn't ever really done a lot of running. It had been a wonderful experience for her!
I think it depends upon the team and the philosophy of the coach. One of the best things about cross country (IMO) is that they are often wiling to take everybody. Not every kid runs in every race and obviously not everyone is on varsity but usually everyone is one the team and gets to run together and it seems like everybody gets to run in some of the races.
I'm so glad she chose to do it.
I hope your son has an equally positive experience.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 08-25-2019, 02:34 PM

My bil coaches high school lacrosse. I think the majority of the players are new to the sport when they start in high school, because there aren't a lot of kids leagues (at least around here). My bil was new to the sport, until he started coaching it! I think a good athlete who is in shape definitely stands a good chance at being good at it! Good for him!
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Before high school
Old 08-25-2019, 02:39 PM

my daughter's only sport was soccer. During HS, she added cross country and swimming to her repertoire. She wasn't outstanding at either of them, but she enjoyed being part of the team and working out. Today, she often does triathlons.

PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2019, 02:41 PM

What a great attitude your son has! Good luck to him!

My son is in 6th grade and is going to play football for the first time in his young life, and everyone is surprised he's trying a new sport so late in the game, so to speak. True, most of his peers have been playing on organized teams since the age of 4, but he wasn't interested until this year.

I never played soccer a day in my life until my senior year in high school. I was terrible. I had to quit because I got chronic bronchitis that lead to pneumonia. I did not get any blowback for starting a sport my last year of high school.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 08-25-2019, 02:50 PM

I think it would depend on how lacrosse is done in your area. If most kids start playing in high school he would have a decent chance. But if youíre in an area that has a lot of club level teams in jr high the competition may be over his ability level
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-25-2019, 02:59 PM

I agree with the pp that it depends on the area. I joined the swim team in HS having never been a swimmer before- I knew the strokes from lessons, but that was it.

It was a newer team at our school- they'd only had one since the year before I became a freshman. There were a few kids who'd done club teams since a young age and who were very good, but there were also a lot of kids like me who'd never done it before. Due to the nature of the sport, you could also have a really big team. As long as you could make it through the practices and such (which was REALLY hard as a non athlete, but I stuck with it) then you were in. Best decision I ever made, really.

If you're talking about a school/sport where the majority have been training and playing since a very young age, it's not as realistic to expect to be able to walk on the team. Doesn't mean your DS shouldn't try- I'd just make sure he manages his expectations. I'd have him let the coach know that he hasn't played before but has been working with his friend on some of the techniques, has experience in other sports, and is eager to learn. That way hopefully the coach will evaluate him on his potential rather than evaluating him as someone who has experience and is still at that level.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 08-25-2019, 03:36 PM

My grandson played football in HS and decided his senior year to play soccer. Heís athletic and heíd played pickup games with his friends so he wasnít completely clueless about the game but it certainly surprised us all when he made the team. He didnít play much but he enjoyed being with his friends.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 08-25-2019, 04:20 PM

My son started cross country as a junior. He just placed 50 / 960 in a 1/2 marathon at 19

Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 08-25-2019, 06:14 PM

My son did air rifle his freshman and sophomore years- he had never touched a gun in his life until then. He is doing cross country for the first time ever as a junior. My other son is a freshman and is doing cross country for the first time ever and wants to try judo as well. I thought thatís what high school sports is for, trying new things.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

lasflores

Sports
Old 08-25-2019, 07:09 PM

My DD is doing mountain biking with her high school for the first time this year. She is a junior. Our head coaches daughter was the first girl to start racing with the team. She was a senior at the time.
lasflores is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 08-26-2019, 03:19 AM

A former student didn't play football 'till high school. He got a full ride to a Big 10 University, was a Big 10 Scholar Athlete or whatever they call them, and was drafted pro. He did get cut, but still. Not too shabby.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 08-26-2019, 06:27 AM

My dd just started water polo. Never played before. Just a very fast swimmer. Iíll keep you posted. She seems to like it. Sheís a freshman.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote