Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

GRRR...Gas Bill

>

happykids

GRRR...Gas Bill
Old 08-27-2019, 05:25 PM

DH is making me feel ROTTEN...Please tell me I am not alone. Apparently, I did not pay the gas bill and it is shut off. I feel awful! We have the money, I am not sure how I did this....

happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 08-27-2019, 05:31 PM

Ooops! Well, if that's the worst thing that ever happens, you are definitely a winner. And it's not January, so I'm guessing it's a matter of no hot water and no stove? So you can eat out--or have hot dogs cooked over a campfire with somemores. Perfect menu.

I'm surprised that there wasn't a 2nd notice before the gas was shut off.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-27-2019, 05:36 PM

You can probably call and pay over the phone/have it turned back on immediately?

I promise I'm a very responsible person, but one time a few years ago I just flat out forgot to pay my rent. I guess it just didn't register with me when the first of the month came and went. I got a scary letter on the door and of course I paid right away! I had legitimately just forgotten. Now I pay all of my bills at the same time on the first, regardless of when they are due and double check that I've gotten everything.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-27-2019, 05:46 PM

Iíve forgotten to pay more bills than I care to admit. My excuse is itís just me and things slip through the cracks. Really, Iím just a bubble brain whoís super organized at school and a hot mess at home.

Donít feel badly about it. If you call and pay theyíll turn it on right away. You may even be able to talk them into waiving the feed since itís the first time itís happened.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

It happens.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:52 PM

I usually pay most of the bills on time. Occasionally I will slip up and forget to pay. A few companies will send an email as a reminder to pay. I found that very helpful.

LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Well, if DH
Old 08-27-2019, 05:54 PM

feels so strongly about it, perhaps HE can be in charge of the gas bill for now on. Or even ALL the bills.
PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-27-2019, 06:04 PM

Are you sure your gas is turned off and that there isn't a maintenance issue? I can't imagine the gas being turned off for not paying one bill. I don't know how many you missed, but many people miss one for a variety of reasons, me included. My second bill just shows a past due amount. I can't imagine them turning it off without some sort of turn off notice, either.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-27-2019, 06:10 PM

Iíve never had the gas turned off for missing one bill.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 08-27-2019, 07:13 PM

No, I missed two bills. I even remember getting the second bill and going up to pay on the computer. But, I must have gotten distraction. It is my fault, but luckily, we do have the money and it is the first time in 20 plus years.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 08-27-2019, 07:19 PM

That's why I have my rent and utilities deducted automatically from my checking account every month. Otherwise, I'd be in the same boat!

jov is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 08-28-2019, 04:52 AM

It is concerning, and it is something to feel bad about.

Is this your only bill paid via computer? If so, was there some sort of error? Our gas company had problems with on-line bank transfers for a while (on their side). We didn't know until a late notice came because there was no other indication. Of course, they took off the charges because it was system wide. But if it is not something like this happening, you really need to figure out how this happened.

elspeech

Old 08-28-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
That's why I have my rent and utilities deducted automatically from my checking account every month.

This^. I have everything possible set up on direct pay. I usually get an e-mail / text reminder a few days before reminding me that the payment and amount is being taken out.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-28-2019, 08:47 PM

Meh - it happens. If he's making you feel bad then it's time for him to start taking care of the bills!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 08-29-2019, 07:57 AM

Technology is a boon for the absent-minded bill-payer - and I can definitely be absent-minded. I auto-pay everything that I can. I set up calendar reminders for those bills that I can't auto-pay and I also have a calendar reminder to check my checking account balance before my health insurance and credit card bills are automatically paid. The trickiest ones are the ones that I pay quarterly, so I really need the calendar reminders for those.

As for DH, my response would be "Look, I'm sorry I forgot. Here's what I've done to make it less likely that I will forget again. You are welcome to take over all the bill-paying if you want but, either way, it's time to drop the subject."
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote