Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Is this typical for first grade- many canít do

>

maui

Is this typical for first grade- many canít do
Old 08-26-2019, 10:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My group of first graders seem to be quite low this year. Many do not know how to write their name, they have such a hard finding the page on their reading book, write extremely messy, cannot write basic sight words from K and do not seem to have phonemic awareness. Is this typical for first grade or does it seem like they are really low.

maui is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Thank does sound low
Old 08-27-2019, 01:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not being able to write their names sounds unusual to me. Finding pages in a book is hard for them, so that wouldnít worry me. And it sounds like youíll need to start from the beginning with word work.

I hope theyíre sweet kids!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

slg

Old 08-27-2019, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It used to surprise me every September how young my new second graders seemed. Then I'd remember they are basically first graders still getting into the school routine. The only thing I would be concerned about this early in the year is those not able to write their names. The other stuff will come when they get into the groove again.

Last edited by slg; 08-27-2019 at 07:35 AM..
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Firsties
Old 08-27-2019, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Theyíre still kinder for at least 2-3 weeks. BUT, they should know how to write their names and have basic alphabet skills.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 08-27-2019, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As everyone has said, except for name writing, the rest (finding the page in a book, neat printing, and writing basic sight words) are very typical for many beginning first graders. As for the kids who can't write their first name, are any on IEPs or receiving OT services?

jov is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

low
Old 08-28-2019, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Is Kindergarten mandatory where you are? In California it is not mandatory, and there were years when my incoming first graders, sometimes up to 70%, had never set foot in school at all. I taught in a Title 1 school, and on the first day many of them wrote their first names in mixed lower case and capital letters and backwards letters, and did not know how to write their last name.

I take it you have already done baseline assessments on each student. If not, do so right away so you have documentation in case there might be questions later on. Basically CYA.

You will have to start with the very basics. Letters and sounds, phonemic awareness, songs, stories, read-alouds with Big Books, etc. They may surprise you and catch up by the end of the year.

Just keep in mind that K now teaches what used to be taught in first grade. Until the late-1990s teachers did not expect their students to already know how to read or write when they came into first grade. For some/many kids this has worked out fine, but there are others who are not ready.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

maui

Old 08-28-2019, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, that is one thing I have to assess formally- if they can know all their letters and sounds.
maui is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 10-05-2019, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Are they also developmentally young? Just for reference a summer birthday, youngest child/only child, other special identifications (IEP ESL OT or speech) can affect ability level. These are extremely relevant factors in Kinder or first.
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 10-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

They sound low to me. Those are all things that are mastered in Kindergarten, and this is coming from a low achieving district
BadKitty is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 10-05-2019, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Many do not know how to write their name - This one surprises me, since we do work on that in preschool.

they have such a hard finding the page on their reading book - Not surprising at all. I have much older kids struggle, and I've never figured out why.

write extremely messy - Unfortunately, I think this is because we start teaching them to write so young. They develop bad habits because their fine motor skills are not really developed when we first make them write.

cannot write basic sight words from K - Possibly some "summer slide" and also the current trend of having them just sound out words and try their best rather than letting them to ask how something is spelled so they practice it correctly.

do not seem to have phonemic awareness - Again, I think we're pushing reading too young for many kids. Some are ready, but some just aren't. If you can get your district to buy it, try "Sound Reading Solutions" - it helps with training their little ears.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote