Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

A city bus hit my car!

>

Izzy23

A city bus hit my car!
Old 08-28-2019, 07:00 PM

Late last night, a city bus took a wrong turn down our dead-end street and ended up in my condo's parking lot. It got stuck, since the lot was full and there was no way to make a turn. There was an open parking space next to my car, so the bus decided to pull in there and then back out to turn. It tried doing this several times, but could not make it.

I saw the whole thing from my window and when I realized what it was trying to do, I threw some clothes on (I was already in PJs when this happened) and ran outside. I offered to move my car. The driver assured me he didn't touch my car, even though he was so close. Well, he was so close to my car, I couldn't open the door. I climbed in through the passenger side and then very slowly backed my car out. I drove to another parking area, quickly checked the car for an obvious dents, and then ran back. By the time I got there, the bus had managed to turn and was leaving. Never got the driver's name, but I do have his bus number and a lot of witnesses (several neighbors were watching too).

This morning I went out to leave for work and of course, there is a gash in my car! It's not huge, but it will definitely have to be fixed before winter. I had to leave for work (our back to school was today), so once I got to the classroom, I called the bus agency. Got sent to a voicemail and the guy never called back.

I also called the nonemergency line for the police, but they were not interested. Told me someone "might" come out, but only because it involved a city bus. Also since I had moved the car, they couldn't really take reports. I explained that I had to move the car or the bus couldn't leave. They were not very sympathetic.

In hindsight, I should have just called police last night. But I didn't think of it then and now I'm worried the city won't pay for the repair. Anyone ever get the city to pay for damages? How much does it cost to fix a gash anyway?

Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Let your insurance
Old 08-28-2019, 07:23 PM

Take care of everything. If they can recover from the city they will.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-28-2019, 07:38 PM

So sorry that happened to you! My car was hit in my apartment complex parking lot last fall. My neighbor got a picture of the truck that hit me including his license plate as well as a picture of the driver. The police couldn't have cared less . My insurance was able to find his information via the license plate, but didn't do anything about it. They told me I was welcome to file a claim on his insurance if I wanted, but that it would be his word against mine and could take months or never be resolved.

If I wanted it taken care of right away, I could use my insurance. I opted to do that, but I had to pay my huge deductible! Insurance thought the damage was a lot cheaper than it actually ended up being, so they didn't bother to do a thing to try to get this guy to pay up. I won't bore you with the details, but the whole experience was just awful. I hope you have a much better experience with your insurance. Because of this, when I was condo/townhouse hunting my absolute #1 non-negotiable thing was that it must have a garage!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 08-28-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I had to pay my huge deductible! Insurance thought the damage was a lot cheaper than it actually ended up being
This was my concern too! I have a huge deductible and I'm worried the repair will cost a lot and I'll have to cover it. Is it even worth going through insurance? A claim could raise my rates.

The police did come tonight and said they don't normally come if it's under $1,000 in damage, and the officer said he thought it would be. But he called the bus agency for me and they said the driver reported that he may or may not have hit a car in the parking lot. They're going to watch the bus video and then contact me. So maybe it will work out!

Quote:
when I was condo/townhouse hunting my absolute #1 non-negotiable thing was that it must have a garage!
I feel the same way!!
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-29-2019, 03:54 PM

My experience with my insurance company was so bad that I ended up switching as soon as my stuff was all settled, so IDK if they would have tried to sneakily raise my rates because of a claim, but officially it was listed as a "not at fault" accident for me so it shouldn't have. When I switched, the accident did show up when the new company looked into me but was also listed as "not at fault" and didn't impact my rates.

However, my deductible was $1000 and I lost out on that money. Hopefully in your case the city will do the right thing, especially since the driver did report it.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-29-2019, 04:51 PM

If you haven't already, call your insurance company and explain everything. They should take care of everything!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote