Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Fourth Graders and Youtube

>

rosieteaches

Fourth Graders and Youtube
Old 08-31-2019, 01:45 AM

I asked my fourth graders to report their favorite summer memory and one student reported she spent summer looking at YouTube with favorite site being Flamingo. Just wondering, good site? good use of time? I'm an empty nester and not familiar with how kids occupy their time these days. I'd love your insight. Thanks.

rosieteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-31-2019, 01:55 AM

I know my students have told me about lots of funny videos they watch on YouTube but I think there's also a lot of stuff that can be encouraging dangerous Behavior or really not even appropriate for children to be watching. I know we had a student last year who seemed obsessed with it, and he had some severe emotional behavior issues.( not saying YouTube caused them, but him watching it unsupervised for hours on end probably didn't help any)
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I don't know anything about Flamingo
Old 08-31-2019, 05:23 AM

...but like anything else, there's a lot of variety of choices on youtube, and depending on your choice, youtube can be a good or bad thing.

For example, yesterday my seven year old granddaughter was using markers to make a picture. The conversation went like this:

DGD: Mom, look what I'm doing.
DD: Is that pointillism?
DGD: Yes, do you think it has movement?

All ideas and vocabulary that she got from watching youtube videos that her mother plays for them on the television screen which they absorb while playing.

When she was about five, she and her four year old sister "taught" me all about Ancient Egypt while riding in the car, using such vocabulary words as canopic jar, sarcophagus, mummy, hieroglyphics, papyrus, all gained from watching Ancient Egypt videos on youtube. That was the year Lucy was Queen Nefertiti for Halloween at her own request. She was annoyed that people mistook her for Cleopatra. She thought they should know better.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 08-31-2019, 05:37 AM

Don't know Flamingo. My grandson now in 5th grade definitely watches YouTube. Among other things he really enjoys watching science experiments.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 08-31-2019, 05:54 AM

I had lunch with my 4th graders the other day. They were discussing how they just go home from school and go on their devices/youtube the rest of the night. They were telling me how school is such a pain because they can't be on their chrome books all the time.

I think it is all about the amount of time spent, as well as monitoring for appropriateness.

Video games is what gets to me. Every year I have many students who can't talk about anything else because video games are legitimately their only free time activity. I've tried to get them to talk about other things when I realized that they really don't have anything else!

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-31-2019, 06:09 AM

I read on a Mom page last week that there is a fad around here where boys pee in plastic water bottles,put the lid on and save them in their bedroom Apparently that fad was found on you tube somewhere.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-31-2019, 08:25 AM

Really it all comes down to parental supervision. I am truly astounded that so many parents just let their kids look at a screen for so many hours a day. Watching videos is fine in moderation. Yes, there are many educational videos out there. But kids need to play and read and dream and build stuff!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 08-31-2019, 10:14 AM

I looked up Flamingo and it appears to be a person who does Roblox (like Minecraft I think?) videos. So probably not bad in small doses but also not the best way to spend the entire summer vacation.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 09-01-2019, 05:27 PM

A good friend of mine is a professor of mass media and media analytics at a local university. She has three children and will not allow YouTube to be on in her home. She and her family came over for dinner a month or so ago and she explained to me why and how they get their info. It is awful and there are basically no parental controls. Even if a child is just watching one particular channel, the possibility of something inappropriate popping up is high.

She gave this example- kids love watching “unboxing “ videos. They get a toy and open it and review it on camera. So now YouTube is storing that info away- that you like unboxing videos. Then a child unboxing sex toys pops up on the automatic feed .... which then stores the info that you watched (even if you clicked out of it) a video that’s involved sex. Then more and more inappropriate content is displayed. I have a 5th grade boy. We have banned YouTube for the time being. It can be such a scary world.
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote