Help

BusyBoard

Scheduling an observation

>

hikinghiker

Scheduling an observation
Old 09-03-2019, 11:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The principal sent out an email asking for what days I'd like her to observe. She needs an answer by Friday morning. I'm a second year teacher so I have two formal observations a year and the first one needs to be completely by October 8th.

How do you decide what you want observed and what day? What dirty tricks do you have for timing/best days of the week? I don't have long range plans done either so I can't use those to decide. Last year I had three observations and on of them happened to be the week following Christmas break and another one was on Dr. Seuss day, so clearly I'm not good at scheduling in advance.

I teach K, if it matters.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 09-04-2019, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iíd find an engaging simple lesson for my observation. Maybe some word work with the letter of the week. Maybe a simple math concept. Look through your plans for the week and find something that you can complete easily in about 30 minutes.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-04-2019, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I stay away from Fridays and Mondays. Do you have any school special events coming up? (We have a jogathon).

Sept shouldn't be too bad.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 09-04-2019, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At the beginning of the year I waited until my kids mastered most classroom routines in kindergarten. Going to the bathroom , waiting for their turn to talk , staying in their seat and transitions to the carpet spots would ideally need to be looking good. I'd wait until the first week of October.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 09-04-2019, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think that avoiding holidays and special events is of the most importance.

Also does your class have days where they tend to be off because of a more difficult schedule like a minimum days? Last years class was always off On Thursdays because we had 2 specials in one day and that was too much novelty for them to handle...

October 8th isnt too far away-you may not know exactly where you will be but do you have some idea (like by looking at you pacing guide or going through the curriculum) when you will be beginning a new topic-I always try to avoid being observed at the start of a new topic in math because they all look awful they first few lessons of a new unit.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Observation scheduling
Old 09-04-2019, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I always say the sooner, the better. Maybe she/he will be impressed with how you are teaching and practicing routines and procedures. Make it a day that is generally less hectic and find some simple lessons that you are already familiar with.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Observation Advice
Old 09-04-2019, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I taught Kinder for 21 yrs (until last year) Iím now a Reading Intervention teacher.

Here are my advices
1. Donít pick Monday or Friday/kiddos are too tired from weekend or excited about weekend coming

2. I would get observed in Listening Comprehension through a Read aloud.
You can ask questions about characters, setting, prediction, inferencing skills etc.

3. At the beginning of the school year in Kinder, listening comprehension is great & appropriate.

4. Practice lessons in advance with students- For any announced observations, I always practice one or two days in advance

5. I always tell my students that the principal is coming to see them. To see how they act while Iím teaching. To see what they are learning & to see if they participate in my lesson.
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-04-2019, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm in kinder as well and get observed every year (even though I'm in my 8th year at the school ).

I often choose a lesson that we do regularly. For example, every Monday for most of the year we do our new sight words and some work with a letter/blend. Every Tuesday we do McCracken spelling. Both of these are things that are fairly routine so the kids know what to expect and know how to "do" the lesson.

If I do a math lesson, I do one that's very hands-on and that will generate a lot of good discussion.

I also tell them that the principal is coming and what I expect. And sometimes, yes, I'll even bribe them to be on their best behavior. I have no shame!

I used to get observed 3x per year by my P and AP. One year I actually had them observe the exact same lesson! It was kind of funny to see what they each picked up on.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote