Help

The VENT

Sub yelled at kid

>

Violet4

Sub yelled at kid
Old 09-06-2019, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was sick unexpectedly yesterday. He requires a chair and I will admit I didn't make note of this. The sub yelled at him and the principal was quick to point the finger at me when the parent complained in the email he wrote back.

I feel bad for what happened I feel bad for forgetting to mention it. if a sub chose to embarrass him though that wasn't my fault.

Try to be nice if you respond...

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

He requires a chair?
Old 09-06-2019, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not even sure what that means. She yelled at him for requiring a chair?
Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

Violet4

I teach a special
Old 09-06-2019, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Most kids sit on the floor.

TeacherPK6

Old 09-06-2019, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Parents can be so quick to complain sometimes, when (while unfortunate) it might be an opportunity to discuss with the child how to handle these things in the future, and then maybe sending and FYI type email to the teacher (not jumping to the P right away). I'm sorry your P blamed you.

In the future, I wonder if an idea might be to have an "Info you need to know" type page already ready to go (could include other info about emergency drills and what not as well) with any information a sub would need to know about students. Then you wouldn't have to remember it all when you're out unexpectedly. It's so hard to be out and plan for a sub, especially when it's unplanned! I think principals sometimes forget that, and parents don't realize it at all!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

There's a student
Old 09-06-2019, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

in my school who needs a chair because he has a degenerative disease. He CAN sit on the floor, but his doctor recommends that he sit in a chair because it is better for him. If he does sit on the floor, his doctor wants him to sit a certain way that is NOT cross-legged.

It's the beginning of the year, and an unexpected absence probably means getting up and typing up plans while you're sick. You shouldn't beat yourself up for forgetting to mention the child's needs under the circumstances. There's no reason for the sub to yell. And I bet there were plenty of other students in the class who were more than happy to chime in that Junior DID need a chair, right?

This is the sub's issue, not yours. Meanwhile

A. Apologize to the parent and show how concerned you are. That mollifies most reasonable adults.

B. Write up instructions for special students in a sub plan template so that if you're sick again, it will already be there.

C. Find out who the sub was and do what you can do to make sure he/she doesn't sub in your class again.

D. Then forgive yourself and move on.

That's all you can do.

PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 09-06-2019, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would add comments but...PE basically nailed. I second all of her recommendations to keep the peace and move on and her accurate assessment that this was the subs issue and not yours. You P should have told the parents this too. Self advocacy on the childs part is not unreasonable if he is over k-1 age.

BTW I do have a top sheet with FYI's for subs-they rarely read them. A sub who yells, likely wouldnt have read your FYI sheet but make one anyways just to cover your own back side.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Wow
Old 09-06-2019, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have to say that it was extremely unprofessional for your principal to throw you under the bus in an e-mail chain with a parent. Do you have a union rep?
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-06-2019, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Just as a sub, I was wondering who said he yelled or did a para witness it? Not saying he didnít yell, though.

I always read student info if it is available. Very few schools give you Iep or 504 or even Eld info. At the end of last year I was doing a science class and there was a group of kids in a pod not working and on their phones. I kept asking one kid to put his phone away and then another kid told me it was the Eld group and the kid couldnít really speak English. The Eld para for them came in late, but it just looked like the kid was blatantly defying me up to that point. I canít excuse yelling though.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 09-06-2019, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My first thought was: Did the sun actually YELL? Or since did she not know he needed a chair ask him to comply when she asked students to sit in the floor? The word yell, when used in a complaint, often means spoken to.

I am not sure banning this sub is appropriate. If I were a sub, I'm not sure my first thought when the student did not sit on the foor, would be maybe this child has a special accommodation that requires a chair.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I agree with being skeptical
Old 09-07-2019, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

with the word yell, unless more that one student reported that the teacher/sub yelled. There are a lot of different situations that a young child would use the work yell and others have a different description for it. A special ed resource teacher was often described by students as "yelling" He was one of the few male teachers and he was a big man with a voice that carried. His "yelling" did not mean anger, etc.

The only other thing I would suggest is to go to one or two of the other students who have the attributes of "care takers" and ask them to nicely remind people that their classmates must use a chair.

chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 09-07-2019, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You know you did nothing wrong. Just chalk it up to being sick and not being able to think of everything when doing plans.

I once got called into P's office because I "allowed a student to cut the hair of a peer in my class." First, the class activity had no reason to have scissors out. Secondly, I was out of the building for a PD...sub was in the room. "Oh."
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Your P is an A__ ___!
Old 09-07-2019, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The word yell is very subjective.
I'd give the sub the benefit of the doubt.
Every1 forgets something sometimes.
You're even more likely to forget when tired or sick.
I bet your A__ P forgets lots of things too! OK You said, Be nice. I will shut up about your P.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Update
Old 09-08-2019, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Even though I don't think it was handled all that well by my P, I actually wasn't in any trouble.

I can make sure to leave a note explaining this in the future but there's always a chance a sub won't read them or will forget because they're human too. I used to be a sub so I took it with a grain of salt when the parent said he "yelled" at her kid.