Job Security

>

helenoftroy

helenoftroy

Job Security
Old 09-05-2019, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I feel like there's no job security.
Even though I have tenure and many years invested, our district will probably be cutting even more positions and they plan on closing a school.
The real problem is: they wait until the very last minute to let people know their status...when it's too late in the year to find another job.
Another problem is: It's causing colleagues to "showboat" and backstab/cut others down to look better to administration.

How do you handle job insecurity?

cruxian

Old 09-06-2019, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I saw your post and realized that things vary greatly in different areas. I'm really sorry that you're experiencing this job insecurity. It can definitely cause people to act in ways they otherwise wouldn't.
In the area that I live in, this is not an issue. My school system is not cutting jobs or closing schools....rather the opposite. They are opening schools and adding positions. As I write this, I realize that it appears to be at every level except middle school (I dunno why).
I don't know if relocating is possible but it might be something to consider.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 09-07-2019, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yea- like Cruxian said, we have the exact opposite problem. Once you have 3 years in the district, it requires a lot of documentation to be fired. Is it bad I feel untouchable? 😜

So we just opened a brand new school- obviously, it’s hard to anticipate the numbers right on the mark. We had to let someone go this week- it’s called “overstaffing”. This is done purely on hire date- the last one in the building is the one to go. Though you will not continue working there, you are guaranteed your contract through the year. The district must find you another placement. Sometimes this really sucks because we cover a large area, so you can get moved further away. And the kicker is, you HAVE to go to that school- you can’t break your contract at that point without the regular repercussions.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote