Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Student is “bored”

>

emgirl

Student is “bored”
Old 09-06-2019, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who I see as struggling in math.(number recognition, putting numbers in order)
I emailed the mom and she told me her child is advanced, that in first grade she did second grade math and that her child is just bored. To be honest it’s been years since I’ve heard the my child is bored schtick. Mom wants to meet with me. I have data to back up my claims that the child is not meeting grade level expectations yet, but I also am wondering what to say when mom brings up they’re bored. When I asked her child, they told me math was hard and they didn’t do much math last year in first grade.
I don’t see the child as bored. Inattentive very much so. Their work is not completed accurately nor correctly.

emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Bored
Old 09-06-2019, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Interesting. During the meeting, I would avoid mentioning child having done second grade math in first grade, unless mom brings it up. Maybe she did....but sounds like she missed out on all first grade concepts.

Can you talk to her first grade teacher and find out what went on then? In the meeting, use all your data as proof and backup.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Perhaps
Old 09-06-2019, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

after sharing your data, you might say that children who are struggling often confuse being bored with being frustrated and wanting to avoid doing things are are hard for them. You might want to have some work for comparison with student names hidden. Two or three class average pages along with an advanced child and an also struggling child or two to give the mom a basis of comparison. That also lets her know that her child is not alone in needed to work harder on math.

Talk about the ways you are helping in class and suggest some activities the child can do at home in a game-like way that would be helpful. I'm sure you have some of those sorts of materials or books to recommend. For on-line help, I strongly recommend the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Illuminations to support various grade levels in math learning. https://illuminations.nctm.org
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 09-06-2019, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Years ago our gifted and talented teacher told parents of children in her program that boredom was a choice. I know that others here disagree but the child does have some ownership in their attitude about school.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

"bored"
Old 09-06-2019, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
after sharing your data, you might say that children who are struggling often confuse being bored with being frustrated and wanting to avoid doing things are are hard for them. You might want to have some work for comparison with student names hidden. Two or three class average pages along with an advanced child and an also struggling child or two to give the mom a basis of comparison. That also lets her know that her child is not alone in needed to work harder on math.
I think Broomrider has great advice here!

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 09-06-2019, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Great advice so far!
Quote:
I emailed the mom and she told me her child is advanced, that in first grade she did second grade math...
Definitely try to talk to her first grade teacher. This may just be mom's idea of what first grade math looked like when she was a kid. Or her daughter was struggling so it must be 2nd grade work.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

emgirl

I would talk to her first grade teacher
Old 09-06-2019, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

But they moved from another state so this is their first year here. We don’t have a perm file yet either so I can’t see if there’s any report cards or assessments yet.
emgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Can you give her a benchmark in math?
Old 09-07-2019, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If she can see the test that you give her, and can see that she was unable to do the problems on that test, you can tell her that she is unable to do the math that you are doing right now, regardless of what was expected in first grade.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

imcrazedw4

Don't even go there
Old 09-07-2019, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Ignore the "bored" issue and focus on what the kid can work on now. Be prepared with materials that you can give mom. Easy to play games are the best (especially for a "bored" kid). Look up math games to play with a deck of cards and dice. Many of the games can easily be expanded to harder concepts.
imcrazedw4 is offline   Reply With Quote