Help

BusyBoard

Project Options

>

Teacherbee_4

Project Options
Old 09-11-2019, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When you give different options for a project, where kids pick 1 project from a series of choices, how do you handle grading the different options? Do you create a separate rubric for each? A generic rubric? No rubric? If you do a separate rubric for each, has it ever happened that some projects ended up being a few more or a few less points than another? How did you handle that? In the past, I've created separate rubrics for each project. If projects were worth a different amount of points, I picked 50 or 100 points for them all to be worth and covered the score they earned on the rubric to a percentage and then used that for the grade. For example, if one project was 32 points and was 35, a student who earned 30/32 earned a 93.7 percent, so roughly a 94. If I put the project in the grade book, I would give 94/100 or 47/50 based on if I used 50 or 100. If a student with 35/35 earned a 30/35, that would be an 85.7 or roughly an 86, so I would put 86/100 or 43/50 in the grade book. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it or not, so I'm looking for what other people do.

Also, when you give them project options, do you present them all, as which ones students want and then copy just the rubric/project sheet for the ones they want? So if 16 students want project A, 4 want project B, and 8 want project C, do you make 16 copies of Project A, 4 of B, and 8 of C? Or do you put them all in a packet and give every student every copy? Or do you post them on a website/google classroom instead?

Any suggestions or ideas on how you manage the grading with differentiated projects would be helpful! Thanks!

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 09-11-2019, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I either do a general rubric or a mixed rubric, but have never done separate rubrics. In theory, all options cover the same material. They just show case it in a different manner.

For example: If it is a biography research project and I have given the option of letís say an iMovie, a research report, a diorama, or a skit as the final product, regardless of which project is chosen they would all have to somehow include: a timeline of their life and their major accomplishments, and why they are still significant today.

___/25 - Timeline

___/25 - Major accomplishments

___/25 - Significance Today

___/10 - Neatness and Presentation

___/15 - Student Generated

Now I may as I mentioned do a mixed rubric. For example:

___/15 - Timeline

___/15 - Major Accomplishments

___/15 - Significance Today

___/5 - Neatness and Presentation

___/10 - Student generated

___/20 - Research

And the last 20 points specific to the type of project because obviously they have different measures. I can no more account for grammar, capitalization, and punctuation in a diorama, than I can for creativity in a research report.

Either way, I add it up for __/100 for my grade book. I think the important thing is to make sure the options are equitable. There should not be an easy A option and a pull your hair out option.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 09-11-2019, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wowzers teacherbee-thats a lot. Your making me feel like a little lazy.

My projects always have a written component, and visual component, and a presentation component. I have options but just 1 generic rubric

My rubrics looks kind of like this one for their book reports:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I do a more detailed one with specific points when everyone has the same product (for example this one is or our class "Who Would Win" book project where each student makes book)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

But I only teach third-if it was any more complicated my kids wouldn't be able to benefit from it since the rubric would be information overload.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-12-2019, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught high school and sometimes I had projects worth different numbers of possible points. Students could choose easier ones, knowing they could not earn an A. Or sometimes for a unit they needed to do several activities and I might require them to choose enough to add up to 100 or whatever number I choose.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 09-12-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The only issue I have with differing points is that for me, personally, it defeats the point of giving options. I give options to differentiate material without creating the stigma of giving out different projects. Usually the kids are pretty good about choosing something that works for them and plays to their strengths. Sometimes the ”easier” assignment is chosen because the one worth more points is beyond a child's capabilities in that particular subject.

Last edited by seenthelight; 09-12-2019 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Autocorrect �� Hopefully, I caught all of them.
seenthelight is online now   Reply With Quote