Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Whirlpool washer issue

>

Haley23

Whirlpool washer issue
Old 09-12-2019, 04:39 PM

I am FURIOUS! I just tired to use my new whirlpool washer for the very first time, and it isn't working. It won't go past the "sensing" mode, so now I have a pile of sopping wet clothes with detergent on them that I have no idea what to do with.

I tried to call the whirlpool number, but apparently they are only open until 8 EST, which is 6 my time. Is that even going to be helpful? Am I going to have to call someone local, and if so, who? Or do I contact the store I bought it from (Lowes). I am so frustrated that I have been in my home for less than a week and something is already wrong, and that a BRAND NEW appliance isn't working. And I'm feeling really stupid that I didn't try to use it sooner- as in the day I got it (I wasn't moved in yet- I got it about 2 weeks ago now). The guy did run a test when it was installed, and that worked, but there were no clothes in it.

I tried running the "clean water with afresh cycle" and that appears to be working (it says it's on the "wash" cycle now), but I had taken the clothes out because it was running hot water for that. I do not think there is a problem with the cold water, because the tub filled up. I tried putting less clothes in it (even though it was not full) and it still did not move past sensing. I am using high efficiency detergent. Can anyone help?

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Have you tried googling it?

Is it a HE machine? My machine takes a lot longer than my old fashioned "fill the whole tub up with water" machine. Are you waiting long enough?

Lastly - have you checked the manual for troubleshooting tips? I don't think manuals have much in them anymore - google is usually a better option.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-12-2019, 05:13 PM

I have been googling for the past hour and have found nothing, especially specific to the "affresh" cycle working but not the regular cycle and/or it working without clothes in it but not with clothes in it.

It is a HE machine. It seemed to be "sensing" forever and finally just stopped making any noise or moving at all. I waited for several minutes after no noise/movement assuming it would move to "washing" and nothing- no noises or movements. It moved normally on the "affresh" cycle. How long are we talking for waiting while it is doing nothing after "sensing?" It didn't seem right that it would do nothing for several minutes, but it is worth a shot to keep the stuff in there and see if it suddenly starts working.

Right now the "affresh" cycle is still going. I'm going to try putting a very small amount of clothes with a small amount of detergent and putting it on normal, warm (I had it on casual/cold) and just leave it in there and see if anything happens. The only thing I can think is that the "affresh" cycle is using hot water, but like I said, it did fill up so I can't imagine the cold water is the problem.

I have read the entire manual now and there is nothing in there either, no mention of it even getting stuck on "sensing" under troubleshooting.

needmyjob

Haley23'
Old 09-12-2019, 05:18 PM

Call Lowes, there is always short warranty when brand new. I don't know if they repair, maybe they would replace? Its awful that Whirlpool only has those EST hours, you can write email on the site, but that is ridiculous under your current situation.

I faced similar situation, bought at cheap appliance place, guy wouldn't even return my calls. I called manufacturer direct, and they took care sent their repair. I ended up buying extended warranty because I felt one problem could be many as machine aged. So worth it because I did have another problem. Learned that model had repeated issues, but its all good now.

I hope it gets solved for you and super soon, I wish I could be of better help.
needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 09-12-2019, 05:23 PM

Totally frustrating. With a brand new machine, you might need whoever installed or to come back. Should be covered under warranty.

TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 09-12-2019, 05:26 PM

https://youtu.be/ylK4jO8xwNQ

Is it like in this video?
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-12-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Is it like in this video?
No, it filled up with water and was sloshing around forever, then seemed to be filling up with more water- then stopped and did nothing.

I seem to remember Lowe's saying they had a 10 day return policy. Unfortunately, since I had it installed before I was officially moving here (ironically, because I wanted this set up and ready to go/to not have to deal with it once I was living here).

Texas K-Girl

Youtube?
Old 09-12-2019, 05:32 PM

Have you tried looking up your model on YouTube? Sometimes there are some good videos that people have done reviewing certain models or videos troubleshooting problems. Type in just what you said “whirlpool washing machine won’t move past sensing mode”. Have model # handy.
Not positive you will find something but you never know.
Texas K-Girl is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-12-2019, 05:43 PM

Well, I hope you figure it out. I have an older model HE front load machine. I can honestly say I never do anything more than push the button to start a normal cycle. I don't even know if it has a "sensing" mode, although I guess it might at some point since I don't ever choose a load size...
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-12-2019, 05:53 PM

Oh no! What a #$%&! I’m disappointed for you.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-12-2019, 06:14 PM

Okay weirdest thing... I had decided to call Lowe's as a last ditch effort. Got put on hold, they're trying to find the guy, etc. etc.

As soon as he answers, it switches over to "washing" and appears to be working. But it was literally about TWENTY minutes after it said it was "sensing." I also have only like 5 pieces of clothes in there with the tiniest smidge of detergent right now.

Customer service guy from Lowe's seemed helpful and I said well, even though it did start working, that's not normal for it to take 20 minutes, right? Is it going to take 20 minutes every time, or what caused it to start working? He says he will go personally find appliance guy.

Appliance guy is literally the most unhelpful person on the planet. He says, "Yeah, sometimes new washers do that. If it's not perfectly balanced, it won't work." Okay, so what do I do to make sure it's perfectly balanced? I explain there is hardly anything in there. He says, "Nothing, they're just picky." WTF!! Then he says, "I mean, you can return it if you want to."

So I asked how long I had to return it and he said 30 days from the time it was delivered. I mean, what a huge hassle if I actually had to do that! I am hoping and praying that something super weird happened and it just suddenly kicked in and will work now (or maybe I do have to wait 20 minutes for my "high efficiency" washer to start working), but I guess my only recourse is to return it if it doesn't!

LaFish

Call
Old 09-12-2019, 06:23 PM

I don’t know what you can do tonight. Call Lowe’s and Whirlpool tomorrow.

Last edited by LaFish; 09-12-2019 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Machine seems to be working. Well, maybe
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 09-12-2019, 06:53 PM

I say return it and get a cheapie, old-fashioned, agitator machine.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-12-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I say return it and get a cheapie, old-fashioned, agitator machine
Literally my exact thought- but do they even make those any more? I already looked for the simplest/ most non-fancy thing they had there. This was one of the cheapest ones at under $500. I would LOVE an old fashioned one where you just press the button. So many things can go wrong with these "fancy" ones!

read2day

Old 09-12-2019, 07:07 PM

Look at Speed Queen washing machines.
read2day is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-12-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I would LOVE an old fashioned one where you just press the button.
I think I told you before that I did a lot of research on washing machines because I hate issues. I wanted:
*top load
*agitator
*load size selection
*water temperature selection
*no WiFi, no bells, no whistles
*RELIABLE

Mine does have the sensing option, called auto-fill, but I don’t use it. After I set the load size and water temperature, I just press the button.

A friend was here and liked my research. She had the plumber out today and asked what he recommended. He said mine. You might want to consider this if you do an exchange.

Haley23

Update
Old 09-12-2019, 07:28 PM

I put a second load in- bigger, but still not what I would consider a "normal" sized. I specifically looked at the clock this time. 10 minutes after doing the "sensing" the "washing" cycle came on and appears to be working normally. While I'm thrilled to hear washing happening...it still doesn't seem normal to me that it would take that long. I might do the online chat thing with the Whirlpool people and see if that is just normal and "high efficiency" or what. It still makes me nervous that there is something wrong with it. I'll have to do another load because I still didn't get all the previously wet clothes in, so we'll see how the 3rd one goes.

Amiga, what kind do you have? I was just trying to google if there is any way to skip past the "sensing" on mine, and if there is I can't find it. It might be worth it to me to exchange and get one where you don't have to do that.

As a side note, I just love PT. You all keep me sane. It's so nice to have a supportive community of people who are willing to listen and help.

amiga13

Old 09-12-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Amiga, what kind do you have?
SpeedQueen.

Smurfette

Old 09-12-2019, 07:45 PM

I haven’t had a chance to read all of the responses, but here’s what I suggest.

There’s a couple of things you could try. Does your washer have a water/load selection option? My washer has a precise fill (the water saving method) and I never use it. I want a tub filled with water! The precise fill does weigh the load-so make sure you distribute clothes evenly.

You can also just let it be-it will take a while to go through the cycle and then change your options for the next load.

Look up your washer model on Google or YouTube. I’ve gotten a lot of helpful advice that way.

Try unplugging it for a few minutes. The old fashioned turn it off and then turn it back on method. Lol

Good luck! Hope it’s an easy fix.
Smurfette is online now   Reply With Quote

lovelife07

Hope this helps
Old 09-13-2019, 12:51 AM

I have a whirlpool front loader. I've had it a while but mine is very picky about the load size. If there's not enough clothes in it the washer will not drain. And if there's too much in it the washer leaks. The sensing cycle takes longer the smaller the load. I'm not a big fan of this washer. I'd probably return it.
lovelife07 is offline   Reply With Quote