Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Which should I choose?

>

FLteachESE

Which should I choose?
Old 09-13-2019, 03:22 PM

My cousin is getting married in Hawaii but is having a pre wedding reception in NY. The mother is hosting for family and friends as the wedding is intimate. I looked at flights last night then looked at train fare. Ive never traveled by train before. I could always drive. Help me decide what to do??? I am overweight and the thought of sitting in an airplane crunches together is giving me a bit of anxiety. I havenít been on a plane over10 years either.
And next question I have never needed to rent a car. How hard is it?if I fly or take a train I would rent a car after

FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 09-13-2019, 03:25 PM

Never took a long distant train ride, but I would take the train. I think it would be fun.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 09-13-2019, 03:34 PM

What kind of distance are we talking about?

I took the train overnight from Seattle to San Francisco and it was quite enjoyable. However, bathrooms were tiny, no showers...I would not want to do more than one night.

Driving is stressful, but again, it depends on distance and traffic on your route.

Is the reception in New York City, or elsewhere in the state? I personally would not rent a car to drive in the City...I would take public transit or get a cab...

Renting a car is not a big deal...but I rarely do it unless I canít avoid it.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 09-13-2019, 03:37 PM

I took a train from MA to DC for a college visit with DD years ago. I found the seat saggy and uncomfortable for an 8 hour trip.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-13-2019, 03:42 PM

I love Hawaii. I hate driving. Have you considered using Lyft or Uber after arrival instead of renting a car? Very easy.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Trip to NY
Old 09-13-2019, 03:49 PM

From your avatar I assume your are traveling from Florida to NY? About an 8 hour drive?
Do you want to drive that far alone? Will you have a hotel as soon as you get there? Car rental is pretty easy. Go on line, pick a rental company and follow the steps. When you go to pick up the car, theyíll give you all info for drop off. However, most car rental agencies are physically located at local airports.

Train could be fun...how long does that take? Overnight or one long stretch?

Have you considered a livery service? I do t know a lot about them but a private town car with chauffeur.

And last, if not least, how long is the flight? If itís under 2 hours, you just might consider it.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 09-13-2019, 04:25 PM

(Assuming it's Florida to Ny) I wouldn't drive. I believe it's about 20 hours of driving time. One option if you do though is to use the Amtrack Auto Train.

If you are only coming for a few days, I'd fly. Florida to NY is a day by train vs about 3 hours by plane if you can find a direct flight. Even a flight with a layover will be half the time of the train.

When you check for flights, if you use a website like Expedia, also check Southwest on their site (as they don't show up on other sites).
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 09-13-2019, 04:26 PM

I've taken Amtrak several times in the last two years from New York to South Carolina and it takes about 14 hours. So if you're coming from Florida....I imagine it would be closer to 20-24 hours. I enjoyed the train and the dining car was pleasant and some trains now have wifi....but be aware that things do get boring and they do have delays. Penn Station in NYC is notorious for delays and by the end of the trip, you're exhausted. They make alot of stops in small towns and so it's hard to fall asleep.

Flying is not like it used to be. Seats seem smaller unless you pay extra, so check with the airline about your choices. From Florida to NYC takes about 3 hours. Fly into LaGuardia if you're going to Manhattan. JFK and Newark are further away.

As others have said, you'd be better off taking taxis and ubers if you're going to be in New York City, or any other big city. Driving and parking in NYC is a nightmare. Good luck!! Hope it's fun.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

plane
Old 09-13-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Flying is not like it used to be. Seats seem smaller unless you pay extra,
Yes, this is very true. I have been flying forever, and in the last two or three years things have changed drastically in economy class. Airlines have gone to "flex" rates where they charge depending on where you sit. Basic economy is the cheapest and the worst. Seats are narrower, leg room has been reduced, and it is not a pleasant experience. Since most people hate the middle seat, many profit-oriented airlines now charge an additional fee ("upgrade") for an aisle or window seat.

I would still fly rather than take the train. If you are in Florida and are flying to NYC, it will take you about 2 1/2 hours. By train it will take 22-25 hours.

If you can afford to do so, go business class, which will have wider seats. If you are budget-minded like me, try to get an aisle seat, even if you have to pay extra for the privilege.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 09-13-2019, 07:35 PM

Florida to NY? I would fly.

If you actually live closer than FL, Iíd probably drive- Iím a bit of a control freak and like to have my car. I actually drove to upstate NY a few weeks ago, and had a really bad reaction to the AirBnB. So bad my throat started closing up and I needed to return back home. I know Iím overdramatic, but I like having an escape route lol.

UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 09-13-2019, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the responses all! I guess I did leave out some important info, lol.

The party will be in Rockland County. If I flew- I would be coming in to Newark. If I took a train, it would go to Penn station.

The mother and father live in Suffern.(they are divorced. My family rarely goes up there to visit. We see them when they come down here- my mother had issues.)
The "getting married" cousin lives ?? and my female cousin, whom I am closer to lives in Manhattan. I could do Penn Station and meet her, then go by train to her mothers or Airport and rent a car.

I dont mind driving, I actually love to drive and if I did that I would then make this into a longer trip and stop at different places.

The train would take about 26 hours from Tampa to Penn Station. That would be a neat experience, I would definitely get a sleeping cabin for that.

I looked at Delta and AA but didnt think about Southwest. So I will look there.

Money wise- driving is cheapest but about 17-18 hours, train is around $285, but then would need to figure transportation once I got to Penn station, and then flying was around $700 for mid grade and then I would rent a car from Newark.

cvt

Southwest
Old 09-13-2019, 09:03 PM

If you decide on Southwest, pay the extra $25 or so to be in the A group. With Southwest they don't have assigned seats, but if you are in the A group you get to board first and pick an aisle seat.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

potter403

Old 09-14-2019, 05:04 AM

Driving isn't always cheaper if it's just 1 person in the car. Remember to factor in gas which is crazy expensive up north compared to FL. Also would you need a hotel room? My dh and I drive up to CT from FL often. Its 18-20 hours without stops other than gas and fast food. Just 1 hotel can equal an airline ticket. Enjoy your family time whatever you choose.
potter403 is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

Newark
Old 09-14-2019, 09:43 AM

I don't believe Southwest flies into Newark anymore.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 09-14-2019, 09:50 AM

Lots of overweight people fly, but you could always contact the airline to find out specific suggestions. That could help alleviate anxiety. I like riding the train, but that's a long ride for a brief trip. If you want the train experience and flying really gives you anxiety, though, that's what I'd pick. But I hate driving by myself. I want the freedom to move around, sleep, zone out, eat, etc.

Renting a car is very easy. You go online, reserve a car, arrive at the counter, sign some papers, pick up the keys.

Quote:
I don't believe Southwest flies into Newark anymore.
It still does until November. It also flies into La Guardia.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

La Guardia
Old 09-14-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
It also flies into La Guardia.
Well, that is slightly better than JFK, I suppose.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 09-14-2019, 01:45 PM

Thank you all for the replies and the private messages. I found out today from my cuz that I actually had the old date and they had changed the date so the one she gave me is the final one. This new date has changed everything.

The date is during Thanksgiving week- we have the whole week off from work so Im actually going to make it a vacation and do a road trip!!!!!

Ive wanted to see Charleston and go to Boston for so long, but it has not worked out so here is my opportunity. I just woke up from a nap, but this decision is making me excited so I think it is the right one!

You were very helpful with the info about the wight and airplanes. That was a big concern, but as I thought about it yesterday and today, it didnt help me decide on the plane. So I got to thinking about why I still was hestitant about the plane... its my social anxiety... too many people, not enough quiet for me- even though its only 3ish hours total. So anyway thank you for all your help!!!!