Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Anxious about Jury duty

>

hikinghiker

Anxious about Jury duty
Old 09-16-2019, 06:13 PM

I got the summons for Jury duty a few weeks ago but stupidly forgot to request for a postponement until Saturday. Today I got my denial since I didn't request it 5 business days before the Jury Summons (sept. 20th). I'm irrationally anxious.

On one hand I'm excited because jury duty means that I teach one less day this week. On the other hand, my hours will be 6-5 and I'm nervous about leaving my dog home alone that long. The longest he's ever been home alone is 6:30-4:30 and I don't want him to get stressed and have an accident (I don't min the accident, I just done want him to be upset).

Has anyone ever been to Jury duty? I'm really nervous about it and I have no clue why, since legal stuff usually interests me a lot.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 09-16-2019, 06:17 PM

I have been called 3 times. Even when I was chosen for a trial my days weren't that long. I found it interesting and enjoyed my shorter work days. I hope all goes well.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-16-2019, 06:21 PM

I have been once. They gave everyone a number and then if your number was called, you were asked to go sit in the jury box. Mine was called and the lawyers asked us questions to see who they wanted to strike from the jury. I actually wouldn't have minded being chosen, as I thought it would be interesting. I think I put myself out of the running when the one lawyer said they'd be asking for 3 million dollars and I said nobody needed 3 million dollars .

I ended up being home by 10:30, once you weren't selected you could leave. Unbeknownst to me, I was supposed to go back to work after that and ended up being docked an annual leave day (I had plenty, so not a big deal but was kind of embarrassing). I'd make sure you know what the rules are for your school.

In my current county, they give you a number on your summons and you have to check the night before to see if you are to report. If you don't have to report, you're done- they call it "1 day service." It's really annoying because you don't really know if you're going to be out or not. I've gotten three summons over the years, but never had to report here.

There is really nothing to be nervous about. If you're really nervous about the dog, hire someone to do a walk/potty break- you should be able to easily find someone on Rover if you don't know anyone. You can also try googling, "What is jury duty like in ________ (county, area, etc.)" and you might find some more specific information.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 09-16-2019, 06:24 PM

I like JD, it's interesting! Coincidentally, I had to report one day last week, which is the first time I've had to do that in at least 5 years. I was there for 3 hours before I was dismissed and I was in the 1st group to be dismissed. I've been a juror a couple of times though...one was a 2.5-month case and the other was a week. I had to give my district the "pay" I got each day while serving...the 10 or 15 cents per mile the courthouse pays each day.

I had to do it while I had my dog at the time. The length of time I was gone during the cases were like work days, so my dog was used to it. Whenever I left him to go to work/JD, I had him very comfortable with everything he needed: His bed, blanket, a couple of toys, and the pee pad on the hard floor of my bathroom which he had access to.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

jury duty
Old 09-16-2019, 07:00 PM

I have been called once. First case concerned a DWI and I was excused because my daughter had been in a bad car accident caused by a drunk driver. The defense lawyer didn't want me.

Second case was a fraud case within a grocery store. My dad was an executive of a grocery chain. Told them I felt I'd be biased.
I was done in time for a late lunch. Just the selection process was an education.

mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Jury duty
Old 09-16-2019, 07:57 PM

I have one coming up next month. I like jury duty IF I get to be on a case.

The way it works in my city is that everyone turns in the notices that they received when they report for duty, and then just wait and wait and wait until they get called. If your name is called, you report to a certain court room where you go through the jury selection process, and either are dismissed or put on a case. If you are dismissed early, you go back to the waiting room. And wait and wait...

There have been times that I waited from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm with a 1 1/2 hour lunch break and was never called. Other times I was one of the first ones called. I was selected twice, and both trials were very interesting. I was also rejected twice and I was dismissed early in the afternoon.

In my city if you get to be on a case, it can be anywhere between 3 days and 7 days, or longer if you fill out a form saying you are able to serve longer. If you serve on a jury, they won't send you a summons for 3 years. If you don't get picked for a case, you get a summons again a year later.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 09-17-2019, 02:38 AM

I've had Jury Duty once. We were on call, in a way, for like a week (had to call in the day before to see if our group was called in). I had to go in 2 days. The first day, we were dismissed early. The 2nd time I was actually called in for a trial, but after all the beginning stuff, we came back from the lunch break to hear they'd called a mistrial due to some new evidence or something like that.

There was a lot that was boring (lots of waiting), but it was also really interesting to see the process, and I wish I had got to see the whole process.

I hope it goes well for you (and your dog)!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 09-17-2019, 02:48 AM

I was called for jury duty last summer for the tail end of August. We had to report in mid August and the trial dates were for the last week of August/first week of September.

When we first got there, one teacher spoke up and said that was a rough week for teachers to be out of the classroom. They wound up dismissing all of the teachers - there were about 20 out of the 200+ people.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 09-17-2019, 05:57 AM

As others have noted, getting called up for jury duty doesn't necessarily mean having to report, reporting doesn't necessarily mean getting seated on a jury and getting seated on a jury doesn't necessarily mean there will be a trial. If you are seated and it does go to trial, I doubt you'll actually be going from 6 to 5. Those are most likely just the outside limits but if you are seated on a jury they'll be able to tell you more specifics about what your hours will be.

There's no reason to be nervous. I've done it several times and mostly it's pretty mundane and often downright boring. I sat through one trial that was, theoretically, about trespassing: some turkey hunters had hunted on a landowner's land without permission. We had to find in favor of the landowner because it was obvious that they had intentionally come onto his land but it was annoying because it was clear that what he was really mad about was a change in the law that allowed turkey hunting with dogs. I would have happily fined him for wasting everyone's time but that wasn't an option.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Old 09-17-2019, 10:53 AM

The worst thing about jury duty is making sub plans, especially if you get on a jury trial that lasts a while. Then you're going back to school,and making plans and getting things ready.

anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 09-17-2019, 01:53 PM

Just to chime in, I've gone in several times, and was picked to serve once. Mostly, it's just kind of a boring day. I usually bring a stack of papers to grade, lol.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-17-2019, 05:27 PM

Iíve been on petit and grand jury.

I loved grand jury. It met twice a month, and it was very interesting. (Maybe Iím just nosy.)

Petit jury was boring. We were only called four times, and I never got picked any time.

I was never kept past noon any time.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mistydawn

Old 09-18-2019, 12:31 PM

I have been on four juries. One was federal and the rest in my county.

The first was second degree murder.
The second was possession of a controlled substance.
The third was harboring of illegal aliens.
The last one was drunk driving.

They were interesting and boring at the same time.

Many people try to get excused but I think you should serve. I'm allowed to vote so I have served.
mistydawn is offline   Reply With Quote

1totravel

Old 09-18-2019, 08:18 PM

If it helps you to feel less nervous, think of it as doing your patriotic duty so that our system of justice can continue. I have been on one jury and it was an interesting process. Sometimes teachers get chosen for the longer cases because we get paid (by our district) regardless of how long the case is, which is not true for most employees of other businesses.
1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote