The VENT

When youíre just a placeholder...

>

Angry Guest

Angry Guest

When youíre just a placeholder...
Old 09-14-2019, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was going to post in the job-seeker section but the more I think about it, the more I believe itís a full-on vent.

I am so tired of being a place-holder interview to meet a quota when a school already knows who theyíre going to hire!!!

School started a few weeks ago. All summer I had been looking for a particular non-classroom opening but there just werenít many (in any district) due to a budget crisis created by the state. I already have a classroom teaching job which I assumed Iíd be going back to and I had made peace with that. But then the day before school started, an opening I had been waiting for was posted! It was at a school I had worked with closely in the past and I actually thought Iíd have a chance! So I emailed HR to make sure the move would even be possible, and began teaching my class in the meantime. I spent hours preparing and still maintaining my current position because the kids deserve it. When I was called for an interview, I informed my admin (which was really difficult to do in September when you know it puts them in a bind) and hoped for the best.

The interview came and it was terrible! The office secretary didnít greet me or give me any direction on where to wait, I was their first interview but they were fifteen minutes late, there was very little back and forth conversation with the interview committee, the principal checked his phone once, they didnít offer any timeline or goodbye so I had to initiate it, and then when I was walking out, one of their former employees who held this very job a year ago was waiting to interview. Iíve never walked to quickly to my car so I could cry.

I understand schools have to interview a certain number of people but itís such a waste of time and it takes an emotional toll on the people involved. I left feeling defeated but now Iím miffed by the way I was so blatantly disregarded. Am I just too sensitive?

Thanks for listening!

Violets2

Old 09-15-2019, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm am sorry to hear this. I don't think you're being too sensitive at all. You're looking for a change, one presented itself. Unfortunately, this happens often, probably more often than we realize--that someone else is already in mind for the position. It happens in all fields, not just education.

Perhaps the lesson is you're where you're meant to be right now.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 09-15-2019, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am so very sorry to hear that you've gone through that. I have too. I get the theory behind it----ideally, every job opening should be open on a level playing field to anybody who is interested and qualified for the job and then they should hire the best candidate rather than just who they know beforehand. The truth is, they might well have someone in mind already. One interview I went to, they had someone who had been a longtime sub at the school and done a great job. They went with her. I understood---and actually ended up getting a position there when an additional one opened up. I've been on a NUMBR of interviews over the last two years though and there's a lot where I was just a placeholder. One similar one to yours----I was a later interview. They were like 20 minutes late (they weren't interviewing right before it either) and it was like they were just checking off boxes. It ended insanely late in the evening and they sent an email early in the morning saying they were going with somebody else. I remember thinking, "They literally can't have rejected me that quickly, it's been less than twelve hours. They must have known they were going with someone else." I'd rather not interview than waste my time.
Sorry....didn't mean to hijack your post. Just totally sympathetic and have been there.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 09-16-2019, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yeah, I totally despise this and sorry it has happened to you as well. It happened to me earlier this summer, I think I probably made a post about it. I drove an hour and half to do a demo lesson on the second to last day of school, then I had the interview. One admin came in late to watch me and I caught the principal staring out the window during my demo, which pissed me off to no end. I had the kids do an exit note and the teacher didn’t bring it down for the interview. On the three person interview panel, I again saw the principal just staring blankly at her questions page. They didn’t ask me any reflective questions about the demo lesson at all.I got out at 11 and they emailed me by 6pm or so saying they had picked someone else. It was pretty obvious they had someone in mind at that point and were just going through the motions. It was such a waste of time, planning and gas. I know they can’t call me up and cancel last minute, but I would rather have them do that and say we hired someone already than waste my time. The only thing good about it was that is was a horrible school in the middle of nowhere.

I also know they just put up jobs on the website to fulfill some kind of legal obligation as well. I’ve applied to stuff and it will say the job is filled the same day it was done accepting applications, so obviously they had an internal hire or something. It’s just annoying all the way around.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote
Angry Guest

Angry Guest

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2019, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you all for sympathizing. Iím sorry you had similar experiences. Heck, this isnít the first ďfakeĒ interview Iíve had. Itís just Iíve never felt so disrespected by a school I used to think highly of.

SubMan

Old 09-16-2019, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've said to a couple of interview teams "you do realize I'm the only one not being paid to be here" when it was obvious that I was there just to be a second or third interview or to get their preferred choice to drop their asking price.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Interview misery
Old 09-17-2019, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Drove over an hour in rain for interview with principal and assistant principal. Principal asked me a few questions while standing at window looking at rain. She asked assistant twice if she had heard anything about weather getting worse. Ending interview she said donít count on anything because they probably have their selection made from ďin houseĒ. She had her jacket and purse on as she showed me the door. Looked like she could hardly wait to leave.

I drove home wishing her car would break down in deep puddle.

Anyway, got better job elsewhere with much nicer people.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote