Help

ARCHIVE

What Would You Do?

>

scraphappy

What Would You Do?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I live in the neighborhood in which I teach. It's a wonderful family-friendly area and the majority of the children are kind, caring kids. There is one VERY bad seed. He is an older boy (now in 6th grade/middle school) and really shouldn't be playing with 3rd graders anyhow. Regardless, because I am a teacher at the school I know a lot of additional information on this child (including a police record by 5th grade, being verbally and physically abusive to children, etc.) As a neighbor I have had to call his mother 3 times (throwing rocks, lighting fireworks and coming into our yard and swearing with his friends). Honestly, I am not sure how this child is alive or at the very least not in a cast since he can often be seen up on his (very high) roof, intentionally cutting out if front of cars on a bike or skateboard, etc. He was caught shoplifting at a local store in Kindergarten.

I noticed today one of my very nice students outside playing with him for the first time. I care deeply about my student. He's a great kid, but he's also sort of quiet and will go with the crowd.

Do I say something to his parents or do I just pull my curtains?

I obviously wouldn't break any confidentiality and list specifics.

FWIW, the parents of the student in my class are both elementary teachers in a neighboring town. I'm not sure how that weighs into my decision.

scraphappy is offline   Reply With Quote

idea

idea

sometimes
Old 05-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

it only takes a little good gardening to make a bad seed grow. I can remember my little brother befriending a 'bad' kid and how that kid's life was changed. The kid went on to college on a scholarship and wrote a beautiful open letter to my mom in his school's newpaper about how she and my bro changed his life. He is now a special ed teacher. Maybe give his mom a heads up and keep a close watch on it. That is very nice of you to be concerned.

3gradeteacher

you must
Old 05-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I really think you must tell the parents to not let their child play with this other child. I know that you would want to know about it if it was your kid. I had to tell a parent last year that so and so wasn't a great influence and if they did have a play date or whatever....keep your eyes and ears open at all times. It is a sad part of what we do, but you would rather do it now then watch something bad happen
3gradeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Give a head's up...
Old 05-03-2008, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The "bad" kid could always go over to the "good" kid's house to play rather than be unsupervised.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote