Help

ARCHIVE

Good news!!! ST update.

>

HappyHiker

Good news!!! ST update.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I told ST to stay home tomorrow since I am taking a personal day and her advisor said she could take the day off as well. She said, "Oh, good. You know today is my last full day and my last day teaching. I'll be here on Wednesday morning for three hours to do my make-up time." I had thought she would be with me ALL DAY on Monday. I would rather her do her three hours on Monday morning and get it over with, but she has to meet at her college on Monday and Tuesday.

Her advisor came to pick up my final evaluation papers today.
Once again, her advisor did not seem interested in speaking to me AT ALL. I made sure I was sitting in the office when she arrived so I could personally hand her my final evaluation and my gigantic journal. I was trying to tell her that I had been fair but honest and was hoping to lead into a quick discussion, but she did not want to talk about ST. Instead, as she walked away from me she switched the conversation to a laughable silly mistake she, the advisor, had made in an e-mail response to me. Then she asked if ST was in the room. I told her she was and she headed that way. I waited about three minutes and walked down to my room. When I came in, advisor was standing very close to ST and had my final evaluation paper out showing it to her as they stood in the front of the room. The students had just returned from lunch. They were both smiling, but looked nervous as if I had caught them doing something they shouldn't have been. I walked on over to my desk and advisor left with my journal and final eval. in her hand. I'm sure my 92 pages of sweat and tears went straight into the garbage can. Unfortunately, my assistant was too tied up to make me another copy of my journal today. I can do it from home, but it sure takes a long time on my little copier. I may still do it and mail a copy on to the advisor's boss. They sure seemed awfully chummy. I'd say Monday or Tuesday ST will be meeting with the advisor and will get to take a look at what all I wrote. Wednesday could be a really bad day.

HappyHiker is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 05-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've only read some of your ST posts; I think you should send a copy of at least some of your notes to the head of the ed. dept. of ST's college. That the advisor is uninterested in what the cooperating teacher has to say is unreal. Perhaps your principal could write a letter to a dean or someone at the college; they should not be just handing out teaching certificates to anyone who can stick around throughout the program; they should have to do well at it. Unbelievable!
Oh, and not all of your records have been subjective (they might attribute your negative reports as a personality conflict, etc.) I would detail anything non-subjective and make sure her college gets that as well.
(And since I have only been teaching a few years, I am apt to be more sympatico with a ST than a cooperating teacher; this ST just sounds awful.)
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

kitty11710

OMG How unprofessional!!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am so sorry you have been through this and no one is taking your opinion that seriously. How ridiculous and frustrating! This woman is a sorry excuse for a teacher!
kitty11710 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. G

Advisor
Old 05-01-2008, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't understand this advisor. I have had two interns from two different colleges and both of them wanted to talk to me. The last one I had wanted to sit down and go over each question and make sure our grades matched. I hope you have other colleges in your area where you can get other student teachers from. It can be a pleasurable experience if you get a good one.

I sure will miss your daily stories.
Mrs. G is offline   Reply With Quote

A&W

Dept Head
Old 05-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the other posters. It seems that the ST and advisor may be in "ca-hoots" together. The teaching profession doesn't need another person who's doing it for the summers off. Tomorrow is the last day of my ST and I am sad to see her go. But her advisor was always professional, and I understand that one ST this semester did not complete her student teaching. From your posts the ST doesn't have what it takes to teach. It doesn't matter if she and you don't click. If she can't follow her own lesson plans, goes off topic, makes a hodge podge of ideas. That is what she is being evaluated on. Can she do the job. I hope for god's sake you don't give her a reference letter. Not even a courtesy letter.

What about all those un-graded papers?

A&W is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Almost over
Old 05-01-2008, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You should write a book! I think it could be a case study for all college students on how not to be a ST. Given the personality you described I am sure she told her advisor all sorts of reasons why you are giving her a poor evaluation and she is just a poor little victim who tried so hard. I pity any children that have to have her as a role model.

Give the report the school. I don't know about her college, but my ST advisor wasn't really "part" of the college. So some of the dept. heads might want to hear this information. We can only hope that she won't ever pass those test!
love_to_learn is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-01-2008, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I definitely think that you need to send a copy of your evaluations and journal to the college. I kept wondering what the deal was with the adviser and sad to say my gut was right that she is not interested in your professionally observed chaos! She acted interested in what you said when it was about tardies, but that's about the only time. I remember one email you mentioned about her in the beginning and that's when I formed my opinion. I think that stinks!! Hopefully it will get to the right person and they will handle both those nuts!

I also think your princ. needs to send a letter to the college expressing his dissatisfaction with the ST and even the lack of support from the college.

YOU MADE IT!!!! Only one more 1/2 day left to put up with her and you will be in control of the class, so it will not be too bad. If you can snap a picture of her on laptop or cell during class to include in your package to college.

The only positive I can find in this whole crazy experience is that she not passed the Praxis, so until she does she will never teach.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

psu0815

At least its over!!
Old 05-01-2008, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You must be a saint!!! Thanks for the "book" ...I enjoyed reading. What will be your next chapter?...
psu0815 is offline   Reply With Quote

biyubelle

Refuse
Old 05-01-2008, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It is EXTREMELY difficult for these colleges of education to recruit cooperating teachers. The work is exhausting and the compensation is a joke. It is bad enough when they send you barely literate incompetents with poor work ethics, but when your evaluations are dismissed, it goes beyond what can be endured.

I was fortunate to get some extremely talented ST's. However, I found my relationship with the COE was problematic at best. In one case, I had a strained relationship with the visiting supervisor. Some of the things that came out of her mouth testified to the fact that she had never been in a classroom. She was very dismissive of my concerns at best and defensive at worst.

If I were you, HappyHiker, I would refuse to receive ST's from that university ever again; and I would let the Dean of Education and the Director of Student Teachers know why.
biyubelle is offline   Reply With Quote

HappyHiker

Oh, the ungraded papers.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

While she was up "teaching" today, I walked over and picked up one basket of ungraded papers at a time, and stood and looked at them with a puzzled look on my face. Then I went and sat down. I didn't say a word. I had decided that if she left them again I was going to have her sit and grade them when she is there to "only observe" on Wednesday. At the end of the day I noticed that she had taken them with her.

The more I think about it the more I think I had better get a copy of that journal and my final evaluation sent to the head of the department first thing in the morning.

I did e-mail central office in my county and told them that I knew she has listed me as a reference on her job application. I didn't say anything that could get me in any legal trouble. I simply said that I wanted them to be aware of the fact that she has been late to class sixteem times and I informed them that I have notes from my observations of her teaching if anyone needed to see them.

I have another job referral form she had given me on about her second day at my school. It's a two page long thing where you rate from 4 to 1 different teaching skills/abilities/attributes. There is also a section of short essay type questions. One of those asks, "Would you hire this person?"

m&ms

Wow!
Old 05-01-2008, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

is all I can say!
I too, have now become addicted to logging on and checking your updates. You have even inspired me to post my first reply on PT. Great group of support here!

Is there any way you'll find out if she past her tests? Did she have her pizza "party"? Have any students expressed that they will miss her?

I"ll join you in celebration drink on monday, I guess Wednesday, now!
m&ms is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Regardless of the time it takes . .
Old 05-01-2008, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

. . . I would copy the journal. I think you need to KEEP a copy of it yourself as well as sending a copy to someone above the ST's advisor. It would be too easy for the one you gave her to GET LOST somehow.

Also, I would be very reluctant to have a student teacher from that same college. It is evident they are not doing the job they should be doing.
Phyllis is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

job referral form
Old 05-01-2008, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You didn't say what you did with the job referral form. Did you send it to the county? Or was she supposed to pick it up? Perhaps she will ask you for it on Wednesday. I would love to read your "Would you hire this person" essay.
I probably would have the principal contact the school of ed and tell them that both the student and advisor poorly reflect on the school. Or you could contact them yourself and innocently say the you were surprised that a school of such caliber would have allowed for this woman to do her ST and that you were disappointed that the advisor was less than professional.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

HappyHiker

m&ms
Old 05-01-2008, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Wow, welcome aboard!!! I'm going to try my best to find out somehow whether or not she passed this student teaching experience. I hope they wouldn't pass someone who shows up late more times than they show up on time. If I find out they gave her a degree without her having to repeat her student teaching, I will never take another ST from that school.

The students who at times get in trouble when I'm in charge act the saddest to see her leave. She never one time followed through with her "punishments." She had two or three kids sit out five minutes of recess a couple of times, but she threatened punishments constantly and didn't follow through. I tried to offer guidance. She ignored my advice. I found out from a teacher at my school whose daughter is in my class that her daughter can't wait for the ST to leave. She said she hates her. I hadn't realized from watching this girl that she was that bothered by this. Another boy said that he wants to hear my voice again. I thought that was sweet.

Yes, she did that pizza party. Well it was more like a pizza, gigantic cookie, and skittles candy party. I left the room. I hate parties. I thought it would be an excellent learning experience for her to get to do that on her on. Parties SOUND like a lot of fun.

Her attitude today was pretty much, "I'm gonna do what I want, and dare you to stop me." She didn't say that, but that's kind of how she conducted herself today.

She showed about an hour of a movie. She showed a Bill Nye video. She had a pizza party. She did actually do math. Remember how I mentioned on here that she announced she was going to do a lesson on ratio the day after I had written a note and left it on my desk reminding myself to talk about probability written as a ratio? She did that lesson today. That's where the skittles candy came in. I had not planned on using the candy for my lesson however. It looks like she would have checked on whether or not she could give them candy, but she didn't. I think that whole math thing is kind of funny. She only taught math one time in eight days and when she finally decides to teach it again she teaches the topic I was planning on doing and she does it on the day that I was supposed to take back over the math lessons. Hmmm.................... interesting. Maybe I was supposed to get mad. I didn't stay in the room to be schooled on teaching ratio. I listened from next door. That classroom was empty at the time. It was actually a decent lesson. She knew her advisor could pop in on her at any point today. When she knows she's going to be there she shapes up and tries to teach. Any other time, she just tries to kill time and get to the end of the day.

Last edited by HappyHiker; 05-01-2008 at 05:14 PM..

HappyHiker

cvt
Old 05-01-2008, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm mailing that thing in. I wouldn't dare hand it to her. I'm sure she's probably already forged a copy of it and sent it in as if I had filled it out anyway.

MrsM79

Old 05-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Are you kidding??? I do not understand how a PROFESSIONAL EDUCATOR could basically mock you like that!!! I 100% agree with PP, send your observations, complaints, documentation to whoever heads the teaching program at that college, the adviser should absolutely be taking into consideration your observations, comments, documentation, and there is no way that they should be brushed off and dismissed like that. Unbelievable... I don't see myself having a student teacher anytime soon, if ever!!! WOW...1 more day!! Good luck to you...
MrsM79 is offline   Reply With Quote

stlcardinals

Old 05-01-2008, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Here are my thoughts as to why the advisor is acting like she is. She is trying to cover up for the university. I am willing to bet that this university is probably known for less than adequate teachers. That is not a good way to get more students so . . . . instead . . . . they document that their teachers are great.

We have a university in our area that teachers are starting to not take student teachers from for this very reason. The students are not prepared adequately to teach and the university supervisors are of no help. Sounds like the same situation you are in.

I recently had a ST from this university. I emailed the head of the ST department with my concerns about the university supervisor that came to my room. I have heard nothing back. They simply don't want to hear it. Very sad.
stlcardinals is offline   Reply With Quote

scraphappy

Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I'm only now catching up on your many posts, but it is too bad it had to go this far. Our number one priority is to the students and my school has had at least 3 student teachers removed over the years mid-student teaching because they had proven to be such a roadblock in the classroom. I'm so sorry you had to go through this and congrats on being done with it!
scraphappy is offline   Reply With Quote