Help

Magnolia Room

Before I Spend My $$$, Give Your Opinion

>

1gr81ntheus

Before I Spend My $$$, Give Your Opinion
Old 06-02-2008, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have never heard of the responsive classroom. I am familiar with Kagan and Habits of Mind. This sounds like something along the same lines of those. I do not have a large repertoire of strategies for discipline and would love to expand my ideas. I teach fifth grade and want to have a class where it's fun to move around and interact with each other. Should I invest in the books - The Morning Meeting, Teaching Children to Care, and The First Six Weeks of School? Do you think by reading these books I'll be able to implement ideas of the responsive classroom? Will I be able to do it as effectively or about as effectively as a person that has gone to the workshops?

alicej

ideas
Old 06-06-2008, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

just check out different ones on line. I used positive discipline this year and had the best year ever. In the past I have turned colors, used buddy room, logical consequences, and even time out. I teach 2nd grade, so this year I would tell each student who did something wrong, (They often don't realize they are doing it wrong), that the first time is a freebie and then explain my expectations so it won't happen again. If it did happen again, I would have a conference with them and they really responded well with the one on one.

1Cook1

The First Six Weeks of School
Old 06-07-2008, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I purchased the book The First Six Weeks of School this past school year. It has wonderful suggestions. I recommended to my principal that we purchase books for each teacher for the coming school year since we have such a young teaching staff. I would recommend that you purchase this book and the Morning Meeting book.