Help

Magnolia Room

argumentative child

>

aSubForNow

argumentative child
Old 09-23-2008, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you do with a kid who likes to be right all the time and argues with you? Today, he argued that I didn't tell him how to do something. The truth is that he wasn't listening. I caught myself arguing with him and put an end to it. But, I didn't do it in an RC way... I also caught myself mimicing what other teachers in my building do...which is so not good. I'm in a school full of yellers and chastizers (these are the teachers).

This was only my second day with the kids. I'm a last minute overflow teacher for the year in second grade.

honeydew

argumentative
Old 09-23-2008, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would tell the child that I would not tolerate his arguing with me and when he does it again, he would be disciplined. That might be moving his clip to the yellow area, or whatever you do to take a priviledge away. When it gets to a point that he has consequences he doesn't like, he should quit arguing. You have to be 100% consistent, though.

Smokey Joe

Never lose you cool!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have found it best not to be drawn into an argument. I usually give one of my raised eyebrow "teacher looks" and say in a calm voice that I don't argue, but I do discuss. Then I say that we can discuss the problem at recess if he/she feels strongly about it. That's usually all it takes. Hope this helps.

aSubForNow

Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, today, we talked about his behavior and we are going to work on this problem. Besides discussing, I'm not sure of a strategy to use. His mom knows he gets upset when he's told he's wrong because she told me that on the Parent Brag Sheet that I sent home. Her hopes for him this year are that he learns that he isn't always right. So, to me, that says she would be supportive of some kind of plan for him. But what!

Now, it was only my third day with him, so I have to take that into consideration. He is a bright boy when it comes to academics, he just is a little sneaky. Like saying he has to go to the bathroom when he just went. Or, getting out his drawing pad when he thinks I'm not looking. Or, playing in his pencil box, which I set on the windowsill to remedy that. That really made him upset, so he turned around in his chair away from me to signify he was angry. If he doesn't get his way, he'll roll his eyes, or say under his breath "I don't care" or turn his back toward me.

Luckily, I think there is potential there to get him under control. We did hopes and dreams today and his hope had something to do with his behavior.

If nothing else, he's at least helping me to practice my patience!

Thanks for the replies!

4thGradeNV

argumentative child
Old 10-01-2008, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been in the same boat quite a few times and am just now learning how to not be drawn into the argument. Sometimes I do better than others.

I tell the child that if they would like to continue the discussion that they are welcome to make an appointment for afterschool. By that time, they have forgotten about the argument.

After going through the Capturing Kids' Heart training this summer, I now ask them a series of questions and refer them to our Social Contract. That really helps them to get back on track and get back to work. I love saying "How did we agree to treat each other?" to the children because it was their idea (because they created all the rules on the contract) to treat each other with respect.

Hope that helps.