Help

Magnolia Room

Special Spots

>

amberini

Special Spots
Old 08-18-2008, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone know what the consensus is for assigning spots in RC? Last year I assigned circle spots at the beginning of the year, taught and modeled how to choose spots and then let them sit where they wanted and that was great. I think I'll just have them sit wherever they want (WITH A LOT OF MODELING AND PRACTICING) at the beginning of this year. The thing is line order. Last year I had line leaders and cabooses and all that jazz.. Is it worth it? What do other people do?

Nicki2482

I'm not sure...
Old 08-19-2008, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just attended the weeklong RC I training (so, it's pretty fresh in my head, but then again, I'm also no expert!!) In reading about RC, it sounds like spots aren't generally assigned, but I don't think that's specifically a RC "rule." My understanding is that you do what you need to do as a teacher, so if circle spots work better for you then go for it!

I've always assigned rug spots (both circle and in rows) for my first graders in the past. I also assign a line order. For me, this eliminates a lot of arguing and then keeps students from always sitting by their friends and chatting. I think I will do this again this year and then perhaps allow them to sit where they want after procedures are in placed and it's modeled how to pick a good spot.

So, I think you should do whatever works best for you. RC stresses certain things, but spots on a rug is not a major issue. So do what works! :-)

amberini

Old 08-24-2008, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks!! I am still trying to figure out what exactly does work for me... i'll keep trying new things and learning as I go!