Icebreaker Activity needed for faculty, please!! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Magnolia Room

Icebreaker Activity needed for faculty, please!!

>

anyideas?

anyideas?

Icebreaker Activity needed for faculty, please!!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My principal would like me and a few others (who have been trained in Responsive Classroom) to plan and provide an "ice breaker" activity "ala Responsive Classroom" on our first day back for the faculty that should last 15-20 minutes. Do you have any ideas/suggestions? Although our staff read and discussed Power of Our Words, my concern is that he doesn't REALLY understand what Responsive Classroom is and has been going around telling other principals that we are a "Responsive Classroom" school when we really aren't. There are pockets of us here and there that have trained and/or studied Responsive Classroom and try to stay true to it, but there the majority of the teachers do not incorporate Responsive Classroom principles into their teaching. I am worried that doing an "icebreaker" as he is requesting will be just another item to check off of his list to say that we our "doing" Responsive Classroom."

Does this make sense? I feel like the icebreaker needs to be fun, but at the same time provide information about the foundation of Responsive Classroom.

happygirl444

Old 07-30-2009, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Activity a la Morning Meeting: I'm posting from the information I have on doing MM activities with parents. It's called "Table for..." and it is supposed to be like a restaurant. When you call, "table for three", parents get themselves into groups of three and you give a quick topic for conversation like, "Tell each other where you grew up." Groups have about one minute to talk and then you ring a bell and say another one, "table for four" with "Name one thing you like to do outside of school." I'm sure there are many more but this is what is suggested in the Parents and Teachers Working Together book. I hope that helps.

Sorry, I reread your post and decided that I am not really answering it. Could you do some goal setting? Maybe you can each brainstorm hopes and dreams and write it down and play a game with it...like snowball or milling to music or something. Maybe the above "table for..." activity with reflection questions about RC? "What is a morning meeting story a child told you remember?" "Name as many sentence starters for teacher language as possible." At the end maybe you could post your hopes and dreams from your colleagues on a board in the teacher's room with sticky notes so everyone could see it all year and remind them what their goal is. After all, if we do it with the kids, no reason not to do it with adults.

Last edited by happygirl444; 07-30-2009 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: reread the post

JME

Old 07-30-2009, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your great ideas! The "Table for.." activity is one I haven't heard before--it sounds fun!

cares106

I share a common ground
Old 08-02-2009, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Although I love the goal setting idea, i also always have fun with "I share a common ground" when I've played it with adults and children alike. I understand your concern about the administration, but wouldn't it be cool if you could encourage more, or all, of the teachers to learn about RC? If the whole staff isn't buying in, you might want to have a fun easy game that they can replicate with their classes. On the other hand, the hopes and dreams idea might push administration to learn more because someone is prob. going to have a hope & dream that reads something like: "My hope is that our school starts to adopt some of the RC philosophies. and language."
Good luck!

JME

Old 08-02-2009, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you, cares106! I wasn't familiar with the game so I googled it and it sounds interesting too!