Help

Future Teachers

Helpful Questions....

>

sigmagirl12

Helpful Questions....
Old 08-19-2009, 12:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if other student teachers or experienced teachers could help me think of helpful questions to ask my co-operating teacher. I've been thinking but I am drawing a blank. I think it is due to being so nervous and anxious!! Thanks

sigmagirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachK-6

Relax and have fun!!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just finished my student teaching in May. You are going to have a great time!!! Just relax and enjoy every moment, take in lots of new ideas. I would want to know if there are any children with special needs, what the curriculum looks like, when he/she wants you to take over teaching full time, and what the classroom management plan is. My advice to you is get active in the classroom ASAP. Don't just sit there, you will get much more out of your experience the more you get involved. Good Luck--keep us posted
TeachK-6 is offline   Reply With Quote

madelyneva

relax
Old 08-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with the other post, just relax! Watch how she handles certain situations that arise during the day.

If you think of a question, write it on a post it note and ask it during the conference time.

I hope you have fun! I've had many student teachers and we ended up laughing a lot and having a good time! It usually gets to a point where we can laugh at each other's mistakes we make during the day-yes the teacher will make mistakes, too! Example: I sometimes give a student permission to use the restroom and 2 mins. later forget and will fuss at them for leaving the classroom without permission only to have the WHOLE class point out to me that I had a memory lapse! (Of course we wait until the kids leave to laugh about something silly that we've done!)
madelyneva is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

student teacher questions
Old 08-19-2009, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

-Ask her to describe her classroom management/discipline plan.
-Ask how you can get involved from the beginning, and her timeline for your increasing involvement. I liked to involve student teachers very quickly as a co-teacher, give them individual students to work with, small groups to supervise, and participate in everything possible right from day one. Other co-operating teachers want time to get to know you, and might prefer you observe for a few days.
-Spend time learning the kids names, getting familiar with the curriculum. Ask for a copy of curriculum to take home and read through it.
-Find out what time she arrives, make an effort to arrive about that time. Set up a daily time for collaboration. Make notes of your questions as they come up and discuss them at that time.
-ask about special needs children - its early in the year, she may not have many details she can offer yet
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

harley

Student Teacher Questions
Old 08-20-2009, 02:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

All of the above questions are great! I just finished my ST in April and believe me the questions come to you. Just relax, observe, and participate. My clinical teacher and I also had a great time and time for some giggles. hahaha. Enjoy!

harley is offline   Reply With Quote

sigmagirl12

Old 08-20-2009, 02:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks everyone for you helpful advice and encouragement!! I greatly appreciate it!!
sigmagirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachToReach

Questions to ask your cooperating teacher...
Old 08-21-2009, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hola! I'm student teaching this fall as well (in first grade) and came up with the following list of initial questions to ask my cooperating teacher. Some of them might be more specific to my teaching situation than yours, but hopefully you can use some of them GOOD LUCK! Get excited!

1. What time do you arrive each day? What do you work on before school starts?
2. What time do you leave each day? What do you work on after the school day is over?
3. What textbook series are used for:
a. Math:
b. Science:
c. Language Arts:
d. Social Studies:
4. How many students in your classroom have IEPs? Do they spend the majority of the day in your classroom or in a special ed resource room?
5. Are there any other teachers who team-teach with you in your classroom?
6. What is the teacher dress code?
7. What is parental involvement like?
8. Initially, what will my role be in your classroom? How will this role change over the course of the semester?
9. What are school/classroom policies on the students doing the following:
a. Going to the bathroom or getting a drink of water (are breaks scheduled? Do students go whenever they need do?)
b. Calling home
c. Going to the nurse’s office
10. What happens when a student misses a day of school? Do their parents/siblings/classmates take work home?
11. What does a regular day look like?
12. What does a regular week look like?
13. Any special programs/activities that your class or school participates in?
14. Procedure for unplanned/planned absences?
TeachToReach is offline   Reply With Quote